Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Has Duke ever cut down the nets in Cameron for winning the regular season? I would hope not but don't know for sure.

Apparently in '05, Roy asked his team is they wanted to cut down the nets in the Dean Dome for clinching at least a tie for the lead of the regular season. The team said no because they had more games to win. (But would cut down ACC Tourney nets if they won.) Note - not cutting down those nets worked well for them that year. Will the reverse come true this year?
    http://www.newsobserver.com/home/story/323089.html

Is this just a Roy thing or do other teams do cut down the nets for finishing the regular season first in their conference? The article made it sound like they would cut down the nets if they won at Cameron to be in sole possession of the regular season title.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Is this just a Roy thing or do other teams do cut down the nets for finishing the regular season first in their conference? The article made it sound like they would cut down the nets if they won at Cameron to be in sole possession of the regular season title.
    I don't know the answer to that question, I haven't been to a senior day game in Cameron in years. I do know we take lots of pride in finishing the regular season in first place, and we acknowledge it is a pretty big accomplishment. But K also takes the ACC tourney seriously and treats the tourney championship with a huge amount of respect. He always wants to win it. When asked this year about it becoming old hat, he said it would never be, because he gets "to live each one through the kids", meaning each new championship is a championship for a different team, not just for him. I think that's part of Roy's problem. He is focusing on what he personally has accomplished. Maybe if he looked at it through his team's eyes he'd see things a little differently.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Here is a link to the official ACC web site listing the conference championship sites and dates. Note the dark shade of blue and capital "D" indicating the men's basketball champion for this year. There's also a nice official picture of the winning team on the site, here.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Here is a link to the official ACC web site listing the conference championship sites and dates. Note the dark shade of blue and capital "D" indicating the men's basketball champion for this year.
    Also, notice how it is explicitly stated when the champ is determined by the regular season (Volleyball).

A bit off topic but

Lots of folks think that the ACC is "North Carolina (the state not the school)-centric", but 11 of the 14 champions are NOT from North Carolina.

Yes I am a Duke grad and a Duke fan but you have to give some props to UVA, Md and FSU for so many championships.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Yes I am a Duke grad and a Duke fan but you have to give some props to UVA, Md and FSU for so many championships.
    FSU hasn't won any championships in basketball. Just curious what numbers you are talking about, where is the 14 from? GT has won before, but no other ACC school from outside the state has besides UVA and Md, as you mentioned.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ment_champions
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

That, and the fact that if they DON'T win the NCAA Championship, then they have nothing to show for the season. Seems like he's putting all of his eggs in one risky basket.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

2008-09 Championships

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    FSU hasn't won any championships in basketball. Just curious what numbers you are talking about, where is the 14 from? GT has won before, but no other ACC school from outside the state has besides UVA and Md, as you mentioned.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ment_champions
    It was a bit off topic but if you look at the fall and winter ACC sports (track, soccer, wrestling swimming, etc.) Md has 4 championships, UVA 3 and FSU 3 (I think that is correct.)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    It was a bit off topic but if you look at the fall and winter ACC sports (track, soccer, wrestling swimming, etc.) Md has 4 championships, UVA 3 and FSU 3 (I think that is correct.)
    I believe Mark is referring to the 2008-2009 ACC championships in various sports and not basketball championships over the years. Check the ACC link in my previous post for this years championships.