Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Exclamation

For lack of desire to start a new thread, I just figured I'd share my experience at work today here. I get in and start a few converstations with fellow Duke fans, proud about our victory. I see a few unc fans lurking around but I honestly do try to not say anything to them when we win and they lose (it gets at them worse not to acknowledge them on the whole). If I'm approached by them and they talk about a game I'll discuss it with them but I don't persue them to chide them about it (much unlike the inverse most of us are used to). Well, after about 2 minutes of talking with the Duke fans, this one unc fan (wearing his hat, shirt, and lanyard) storms through the middle of us, unprovoked, waving his arms and shouting "y'all didn't beat anybody! Y'all didn't do anything!! We finished first! We have a higher ranking!! We have a higher seeding!! Oh, don't ignore me, you're gonna hear what I have to say, you can't hide!!" I just look at him, thinking the whole while how badly he's just embarassing himself, and had to say to him: "is anyone even talking to you?" He starts in saying we're not champs of anything (though he was mighty proud of winning the tournament two straight years--lotta nothing that is apparently) and they gave us a gift by not playing us without the ACC's best player...I know I shouldn't have said more but I closed what I had to say with "we won the tournament; that's how the conference says who the champ is. We won, we're the champs, and we did play and BEAT the ACC's best player....his name's Toney Douglas." He stormed away in a huff and, from what I was told, stayed in a similar mood all day. His bretheren kept relatively silent, which amused the Duke fans there today.

Quote Originally Posted by DukePA View Post
    It's true. They cut down their own nets after beating us 3/8/09. Pitiful and ridiculous, IMO.

GTHC, GTH
    I agree. It makes it seem like they didn't expect to win the ACC Tournament, or anything else, so they cut down what nets they could.

9F 9F 9F 9F 9F 9F 9F

Shoot, the holes had a t-shirt celebrating their victory in CIS earlier this season. I made a comment that Duke only having championship t-shirts.

FYI, when you click on a shirt to look at it, there is a disclaimer in red noting the shirts will be mailed by Tuesday (or Wednesday) depending on the outcome of the tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    However, am I understanding correctly that they cut down the nets in celebration of this event or was someone being sarcastic?
    No sarcasm. They really did cut down the nets in the Dean Dome.
    Last edited by Johnboy; 03-16-2009 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Add another link.

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Mojo View Post
    For lack of desire to start a new thread, I just figured I'd share my experience at work today here. I get in and start a few converstations with fellow Duke fans, proud about our victory. I see a few unc fans lurking around but I honestly do try to not say anything to them when we win and they lose (it gets at them worse not to acknowledge them on the whole). If I'm approached by them and they talk about a game I'll discuss it with them but I don't persue them to chide them about it (much unlike the inverse most of us are used to). Well, after about 2 minutes of talking with the Duke fans, this one unc fan (wearing his hat, shirt, and lanyard) storms through the middle of us, unprovoked, waving his arms and shouting "y'all didn't beat anybody! Y'all didn't do anything!! We finished first! We have a higher ranking!! We have a higher seeding!! Oh, don't ignore me, you're gonna hear what I have to say, you can't hide!!" I just look at him, thinking the whole while how badly he's just embarassing himself, and had to say to him: "is anyone even talking to you?" He starts in saying we're not champs of anything (though he was mighty proud of winning the tournament two straight years--lotta nothing that is apparently) and they gave us a gift by not playing us without the ACC's best player...I know I shouldn't have said more but I closed what I had to say with "we won the tournament; that's how the conference says who the champ is. We won, we're the champs, and we did play and BEAT the ACC's best player....his name's Toney Douglas." He stormed away in a huff and, from what I was told, stayed in a similar mood all day. His bretheren kept relatively silent, which amused the Duke fans there today.
    He sounds like a real gem. I hope you don't have to deal with him too often as he doesn't sound like he would be a pleasant person to have around. I'm impressed you held your tongue as much as you did.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I don't have a problem with regular season champions and even putting it on a shirt. I don't know if Duke has done that for the seasons they won the regular season or not.

However, am I understanding correctly that they cut down the nets in celebration of this event or was someone being sarcastic?
    My theory is that UNC, as usual, was that the cutting down the nets episode reflected the lack of interest in the conference tournament. Unfortunately for the grand plan, the refs in the Va. Tech. game did not receive the memo.

Site is now changed to read " North Carolina Tar Heels 2009 ACC Men's Basketball Regular Season Conference Champions Carolina Blue T-shirt" & "Celebrate the Tar Heels' 2009 ACC Regular Season Conference Championship win with this collectible tee!"

Who knew there was such a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Mojo View Post

"...we did play and BEAT the ACC's best player....his name's Toney Douglas."
    Ooohh, excellent comeback. I'm filing this one away for future use in case any Tarheels I know try to throw similar BS at me.

iT IS CORRECT. regular Season HAS FOR YEARS BEEN THE CONF. CHAMPION. In the old days ( I should know!) tournament champion was the conf. champion, but when it was decided that more than one team could go to the NCAAT that was changed and Duke agreed,

Talking We've had this discussion, more or less, in years past

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    The ACC store has two 'champions' t-shirts for sale at the moment.

They have a t-shirt for UNC fans proclaiming UNC the 2009 conference champion in basketball.

They have a t-shirt for Duke fans proclaiming Duke the 2009 tournament champion in basketball.

DBR thinks it's a mistake, but I'm thinking the UNC, uh the ACC store will claim it's correct.

We'll see.
    Earlier this decade while Duke was having it's long run of ACC championships this conversation centered around MD and Sweaty Gary's comments about being ACC Champs (after winning the regular season ACC's, and then losing once again when it mattered). I think they even hung up a banner in Comcast. (snicker, sicker) (What else can you say for a school that retires players' jersies who only played there ONE (!) year there and won no championships??

I think the best answer at that time was a poster's advice to just ask them (applies to Kerlina fans this year), "Which 'champion' gets the automatic bid to the NCAA tournament?" Hmmmmm.

Clearly UNC-ch was "Regular Season ACC Champs," bit not "Conference Champs." I'm guessing that the ACC store printed up a hell of a lot of shirts in anticipation of a UNC-ch romp in Atlanta, and just had to come up with a way to still justify selling 'em... I can't WAIT to see some poor Heel actually wearing one -- it will be FUN!! (trust me)

-BDBD

Wrong!!!

I'd be embarrassed to wear that shirt if I was a Carolina fan. It's a joke.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by namvet1965 View Post
    iT IS CORRECT. regular Season HAS FOR YEARS BEEN THE CONF. CHAMPION. In the old days ( I should know!) tournament champion was the conf. champion, but when it was decided that more than one team could go to the NCAAT that was changed and Duke agreed,
    This is inaccurate. The tournament winner is still the ACC Champion. This has always been the case. After multiple league entries were allowed, it was considered appropriate to recognize a "regular season champion", but the tournament winner is still considered the league champion and receives the automatic bid to the NCAA tournament.

Difficult to imagine I know, but assume there was only one bid granted to the ACC. Who goes to the NCAA?

Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron
    And along the lines of current UNC fans' arguments that 'you didn't beat anybody to win the championship', it has just occurred to me that we beat in Atlanta three teams that had beaten UNC, and had earlier beaten the only other team to beat UNC -Wake-. Plus, two of the teams that beat UNC -Maryland and FSU- we beat 3 times each! Obviously Duke took the easy way out, and that's not even discussing the unbalanced schedule, or the RPI rankings...

Quote Originally Posted by dball View Post
    This is inaccurate. The tournament winner is still the ACC Champion. This has always been the case. After multiple league entries were allowed, it was considered appropriate to recognize a "regular season champion", but the tournament winner is still considered the league champion and receives the automatic bid to the NCAA tournament.

Difficult to imagine I know, but assume there was only one bid granted to the ACC. Who goes to the NCAA?

Quote Originally Posted by Kim* View Post

My eyes just started to bleed. I not sure about them being embarrassed-just look at that color on which they base all their souvenirs.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Kim* View Post

Here's the REAL version.
    asteriskT.jpg
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    And here is the back...
    asteriskTback.jpg
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I found this on the ACC store site as well. Looks like the ACC projected Duke and carolina as possible winners of the tourney.

http://acc.teamfanshop.com/COLLEGE_D...cker_Room_T-sh

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Here's the REAL version.
    asteriskT.jpg
    Too funny.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    And here is the back...
    asteriskTback.jpg
    Even funnier.