Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Front Page - Harry Truman Story

The ACC store has two 'champions' t-shirts for sale at the moment.

They have a t-shirt for UNC fans proclaiming UNC the 2009 conference champion in basketball.

They have a t-shirt for Duke fans proclaiming Duke the 2009 tournament champion in basketball.

DBR thinks it's a mistake, but I'm thinking the UNC, uh the ACC store will claim it's correct.

We'll see.

I think you're right. Regular season champion doesn't mean much with the current unbalanced schedule. The ACC Tournament technically determines the true conference champion.

This stuff drives me crazy. The ACC rules state that the tournament deserves the champion, period. Just like the NCAA tournament determines the NCAA champion. Nobody would say that the NCAA tournament "technically" determines the NCAA champion. The ACC now recognizes a "regular season" champion, but the extra language should be added there, not with an "ACC Tournament Champion," ESPECIALLY with the unbalanced schedule. But hey, whatever, it amuses me for Roy to look more like a joke by cutting down the nets in his own gym. Similar to hanging fake national championship banners.

Another One For My Collection

I can put this next to my "19-0" book about the New England Patriot's undefeated Super Bowl run from last year. It was on Amazon.com for half a day after the Super Bowl

Larry
    DevilHorse

Its all about $$$

I was in New Orleans when UNC won the NCAA's in 1993. They had Michigan NCAA championship shirts all printed up so that they could sell them after the game. I actually wanted to buy one for the novelty value, however they would not let me buy one.

If UNC fans want to buy a t-shirt then the ACC Store will be happy to take the $.

I wonder what they do with all the loser "champion" shirts...

It would be funny to wear some.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    I was in New Orleans when UNC won the NCAA's in 1993. They had Michigan NCAA championship shirts all printed up so that they could sell them after the game. I actually wanted to buy one for the novelty value, however they would not let me buy one.

If UNC fans want to buy a t-shirt then the ACC Store will be happy to take the $.
    In 1986 they sold shirts that on the front, said "Duke - 1986 NCAA National Champions."

On the back, they said "I bought this shirt at halftime."

Painful.
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKfan View Post
    I wonder what they do with all the loser "champion" shirts...

It would be funny to wear some.
    There is a screen printer down the street from where I live. Once or twice a year they hold a yard sale to get rid of items they have printed which ended as an incorrect prediction.I'm sure they were heavy at work after the Cardinals scored the go-ahead TD at the Superbowl.

Aren't the Tar Heels the team with the fake 1924 (or whatever) championship banner hanging up? Shows that there are no depths to which they will not stoop.

I heard from someone from Nigeria that a ton of the incorrect shirts would end up in various parts of Africa. I actually think somewhere deep in my email is a picture of about 20 kids wearing 19-0 Patriot shirts or other shirts from that season.

Maybe its a 2009 Helms Foundation ACC Championship that the holes won.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeFencer View Post
    I heard from someone from Nigeria that a ton of the incorrect shirts would end up in various parts of Africa. I actually think somewhere deep in my email is a picture of about 20 kids wearing 19-0 Patriot shirts or other shirts from that season.
    So I fully expect an email, "My late father was the Charge'd Affairs of Sports Marketing..."

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    I can put this next to my "19-0" book about the New England Patriot's undefeated Super Bowl run from last year. It was on Amazon.com for half a day after the Super Bowl

Larry
    DevilHorse
    I have a hat that says that Duke is the 1994 National Champion. If only Tony Lang's fingers were a 1/2 inch longer...
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

After the 1991 national semifinal game, vendors were outside the Hoosier Dome selling "UNLV Back-To-Back Champions" shirts for $5 or so. (Note this was 48 hours before the champion was decided.) Most of the buyers were apparently Duke folks... there might still be one in The Chronicle sports office.

Proclaiming a "regular season championship" doesn't bother me, but if the conference is calling this the "conference championship" we should pull out and join the SEC or something. The 2009 Atlantic Coast Conference champion is Duke. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    If only Tony Lang's fingers were a 1/2 inch longer...
    ...the game would still have only been tied

Quote Originally Posted by DukeFencer View Post
    Probably true. A lot of the sports leagues donate these types of shirts to charity, but don't want it in the US market so they send it to Africa and war torn countries like Bosnia and Serbia several years back.

All of the big sports marketers such as the NCAA, NBA, MLB, NFL, etc. must print "incorrect" shirts before gametime so they have them ready for either victor at the arena when the game ends . Other than the home town or home city, which makes sales for days after the game, the most sales occur right after the game ends, so the leagues have to be ready or else face lost sales. It's just good business practice. I used to work at the NBA so I have some insights into this.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Those poor Nigerians must think the Buffalo Bills are the NFL's greatest dynasty. OTOH they would also think Coach K has won four titles (86-90-94-99), so we shouldn't make fun of them.

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    Aren't the Tar Heels the team with the fake 1924 (or whatever) championship banner hanging up? Shows that there are no depths to which they will not stoop.
    They certainly are. While the 1924 Tar Heels were undefeated, they did not play a single opponent from north of the Mason-Dixon Line, which included most of the nation's premier collegiate programs in the mid-1920s.

I don't have a problem with regular season champions and even putting it on a shirt. I don't know if Duke has done that for the seasons they won the regular season or not.

However, am I understanding correctly that they cut down the nets in celebration of this event or was someone being sarcastic?

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I don't have a problem with regular season champions and even putting it on a shirt. I don't know if Duke has done that for the seasons they won the regular season or not.

However, am I understanding correctly that they cut down the nets in celebration of this event or was someone being sarcastic?
    It's true. They cut down their own nets after beating us 3/8/09. Pitiful and ridiculous, IMO.

GTHC, GTH