View Poll Results: Who will go to the Final Four from the West?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1. Connecticut

20 45.45%
  • 2. Memphis

17 38.64%
  • 3. Missouri

1 2.27%
  • 4. Washington

1 2.27%
  • 5. Purdue

2 4.55%
  • 6. Marquette

1 2.27%
  • 7. California

0 0%
  • 8. BYU

0 0%
  • 9. Texas A&M

0 0%
  • 10. Maryland

0 0%
  • 11. Utah St.

0 0%
  • 12. Northern Iowa

0 0%
  • 13. Mississippi St.

1 2.27%
  • 14. Cornell

0 0%
  • 15/16. Cal St. Northridge, Chattanooga

1 2.27%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    No doubt about that. I kind of thought that when things started to go downhill with 5 minutes or so to go, it might have been a good idea to get away from the zone. Memphis was finally breaking it down efficiently, and hadn't run their traditional offense all game. Maybe it would have thrown them for a loop for a couple possessions.

Regardless, CSN lost mostly because they stopped scoring down the stretch.
    I was watching the game and CSUN really just got tired. They started making mistakes and stopped moving/running the floor - things which they weren't doing earlier in the game. The combination of worse defense (their zone was active for most of the game, but started to slow down on rotations at the end) and their inclination at the end to take worse/easier to get shots (rather than moving the ball and taking better shots) killed them.

Congratulations to the Turtles. Good to see an ACC win. As suspected, the PAC 10 blows.
    "Just like you man. I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase." Omar Little

Also, good to see Purdue win. 2 teams we have beaten are in the last 32 (as is one team that beat us).
    "Just like you man. I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase." Omar Little

Cal - Maryland

Good win by our fellow ACC team. It looks like in the DBR prediction, you picked CAL because "Montgomery is a better coach than Gary". After today that makes Gary 3-0 vs Montgomery. Don't quit your day job..

Is Gary really that bad a coach? He's done pretty well this year considering all the talent he's not working with. imo, his biggest flaw as a coach is that he failed to capitalize on his NC and for some reason almost always refuses to recruit the all-American, 5-star type players. As an in-game coach though, I think he's pretty good.

Thumbs up What team in the ACC has improved more than Maryland

Quote Originally Posted by CameronCrazy'11 View Post
    Is Gary really that bad a coach? He's done pretty well this year considering all the talent he's not working with. imo, his biggest flaw as a coach is that he failed to capitalize on his NC and for some reason almost always refuses to recruit the all-American, 5-star type players. As an in-game coach though, I think he's pretty good.
    in the last month?

I don't particularly like MD, but I think G.Williams is a very good coach.

As for Montgomery, I have little use for any coach who apparently hates Duke and perhaps K.

Cal looked soft today; MD had their and their coach's number.

I really admire how far MD has come since the Cameron beat-down.

Best--Blueprof

Man, my chance for $1,000,000 on my ESPN bracket is ruined. I think maybe Maryland should've been ranked higher than a 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Hancock 4 Duke View Post
    Man, my chance for $1,000,000 on my ESPN bracket is ruined. I think maybe Maryland should've been ranked higher than a 10.
    You must learn to always select against a Mike Montgomery coached team.

MD

I have to give Sweaty, Greivis and Co. a lot of credit. These guys were absolutely dead in the water just a few weeks back.

Boykin scored 9 points and ended up with five rebounds in 20 minutes. I always thought that he could help Duke, but unfortunately it didn't work out.

RE: Montgomery

I heard Al McGuire once say that Mike Montgomery has forgotten more basketball than he (Al) ever knew. Pretty high praise. Gary, for all his issues, is no slouch himself.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Congrats to Gary and his team, the ACC starts off the day 2-0. I'm pulling for all of 'em except the baby blues.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Boise

This may have been discussed elsewhere, but does anyone know why the lighting in Boise seems so poor?

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Memphis Devil View Post
    This may have been discussed elsewhere, but does anyone know why the lighting in Boise seems so poor?
    I noticed that as well. It looked really dark. There was one other arena where the lighting looked dim as well, but don't remember which one it was.

Anyone watch Marquette-Mizzou?

Great game until the final 30 seconds - Mizzou player gets fouled, bounces right back up, clapping his hands - but is suddenly too "hurt" to shoot his FTs. Naturally, the replacement hits both, and the Mizzou player tries to check right back in to the game! Real "injured" there.

From there, it just deconstructs into poor officiating and Marquette has to go home. A couple of non-calls on pretty obvious fouls and game over.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Great game until the final 30 seconds - Mizzou player gets fouled, bounces right back up, clapping his hands - but is suddenly too "hurt" to shoot his FTs. Naturally, the replacement hits both, and the Mizzou player tries to check right back in to the game! Real "injured" there.

From there, it just deconstructs into poor officiating and Marquette has to go home. A couple of non-calls on pretty obvious fouls and game over.
    Very reminiscent of the Ronald Curry incident in Cameron a few years back, except that one didn't occur at 79-79 in an NCAA game with 5 seconds left. As you mentioned that Mizzou kid was not seriously hurt at all. If I were Marquette, I'd be more than a little upset. Kind of a sketchy way to end a great game.

I'm really ticked about this one. Especially because I have a wager going with my Mizzou friend about whose team makes it farther in the tourney. Grrrr.

I don't know about the poor officiating... Marquette blew it when they tried to inbound the ball and stepped on the baseline. But yeah, I hate the rule that allows "injured" players to immediately come back into the game after sending in a sub to shoot their FTs. I think there should be a rule change that says that if you go out of the game and are too injured to shoot FTs, you have to sit out for at least some kind of designated period... although I'm not sure what that period would be. 1 minute game time?

I wouldn't go too far with the conspiracy theories... Tiller is Mizzou's second best free-throw shooter and he was replaced by a freshman who has a worse FT percentage. I think Tiller would have rather shot them himself if he could.

Mizzou Stats

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    Very reminiscent of the Ronald Curry incident in Cameron a few years back, except that one didn't occur at 79-79 in an NCAA game with 5 seconds left. As you mentioned that Mizzou kid was not seriously hurt at all. If I were Marquette, I'd be more than a little upset. Kind of a sketchy way to end a great game.
    Plus on the inbound turnover, his guard was being held when he stepped on the line - which is probably why he hesitated.

Quote Originally Posted by pratt '04 View Post
    I wouldn't go too far with the conspiracy theories... Tiller is Mizzou's second best free-throw shooter and he was replaced by a freshman who has a worse FT percentage. I think Tiller would have rather shot them himself if he could.

Mizzou Stats
    Is that why he bounced up immediately, clapping his hands, then started wincing, and right after the freshman hit the FTs, tried to check back in?

When I think "too hurt to shoot FTs," I think you're lying on the floor for a bit and getting up like you're actually hurt.