Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    What a gratifying win, and what a payoff for hard work. I've been waiting for us to put offense and defense together, and today they did. Big props to Z who was a serious defensive spark. Hard to call something that happens 4 minutes into the game a turning point, but his block on Alabi after Alabi had had a couple of easy touches inside really changed things up. Solid contributions from everyone, but of course Jon was MVP, both of the game and the tourney.

Outrebounding the "NBA front line" and doubling them on the offensive glass was astounding, but the most amazing statistic to me was the 4 turnovers, one of which was a cheap OF on Jon (which probably shouldn't have been called based on other no-calls in the game.) And this against a terrific defensive team.

Enjoy the win guys, rest up, and get ready for whomever the bracket gods send against us. It won't be a cakewalk, but we should fear no one.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Had to look at the box score several times: 4 TO. Are you kidding me? That was amazing!
    Also, we won the rebounding battle.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Do you disagree? Do you think that Maryland, BC and FSU were the best the ACC had to offer?

I'm just as happy about winning as the next Duke fan, but I'm not allowing myself to be fooled into thinking we took down the best of the best. I'm just glad we won it and are moving into the tourny on a high note.
    I also disagree. The tournament is about beating the teams that survive. Not our fault that Wake and Unc couldn't win. WE DID!!

My favorite photo from the game:

Quote Originally Posted by CBDUKE View Post
    I also disagree. The tournament is about beating the teams that survive. Not our fault that Wake and Unc couldn't win. WE DID!!
    Well said. You can only beat the team you play. unc & Wake had a chance to show up and play us but they could not. Not our problem or fault. We are ACC Champions!

Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron
    Hey Faustus,
    I think the nets from today are far more valuable than the 'unbalanced' nets that Roy wanted cut down last week. Whattaya think?

Quote Originally Posted by Faustus View Post
    Very nice to be ACC Champs in the same conference that has the Greatest Team Of All Time in it, isn't it? Never thought Duke would have worn the home uniforms all the way through this year. Sweet. Congratulations, and to all those who went there and got tickets for today's final and made noise.

And I still don't miss Billy Packer (nice to have a commentator instead like G-man who praises what players accomplished rather than excoriating mistakes of others).

DukeCO2009
    - I saw that picture too and LOVE it. I think it is front page worthy!

Do you disagree? Do you think that Maryland, BC and FSU were the best the ACC had to offer?

I'm just as happy about winning as the next Duke fan, but I'm not allowing myself to be fooled into thinking we took down the best of the best. I'm just glad we won it and are moving into the tourny on a high note.
    Let's not asterisk this championship. We beat the teams that beat the best. If Pitt wins the NCAA tournament having never played UNC, will their fans pee all over their championship?

Zooooo!!!

Really loved how Zoubek took Alabi out of the game. He could have been a game changer if he'd been allowed to play against Singlar. Z has real promise. So sorry he hasn't had more of a chance.

team win

I love that the entire team contributed to today's win and the other wins this weekend. It feels like they're hitting on all cylinders.

This championship seems so precious. I didn't think I had gotten spoiled from the success earlier this decade, but I've come to find that I had. Today's win felt as good as any in a long time and I'm so proud of this team!!!!

I hope Duke Blue Planet has lots of good video of the post-game stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SMO View Post
    Let's not asterisk this championship. We beat the teams that beat the best. If Pitt wins the NCAA tournament having never played UNC, will their fans pee all over their championship?
    I'm not asterik-ing it. I think it's great that we won. But I'm trying to be realistic; we didn't play the best, which my only gripe. I would have loved another shot at UNC. When we beat UNC last year without Lawson, it was still a great win, but it was still a win without Lawson.

Happy, happy, joy, joy, giddy goody gum drops. Giddilicious!

I'm not asterik-ing it. I think it's great that we won. But I'm trying to be realistic; we didn't play the best, which my only gripe. I would have loved another shot at UNC. When we beat UNC last year without Lawson, it was still a great win, but it was still a win without Lawson.
    I gotcha. Let's be happy with good enough to win this time of year!

OK Debbie Downer.

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Congratulations Blue Devils!

Whooo hooooo! Champs!

The whole team came together starting at the St. John's game, and they have jelled! I am so proud of this team and thank you for giving to us the great memories of this year.

The bumper sticker goes on tomorrow, or as soon as I can get over to the bookstore to snag one. I'll probably do a few victory laps around Chapel Hell.

I want the team to really savor the taste of this particular championship and enjoy their accomplishment and the accolades of this moment.

After that, it's onward to even greater things in the NCAAs!

Let's go DUKE!

dth.

The funny part is Carolina fans who act like the ACC tourny doesn't matter.

Is that why they hang all those ACC Tourny banners from the Dean Dome rafters? Because they "don't matter"?

Talking That one was special!

What makes it so special for me was that I really wasn't "expecting" this one. "Distinct possibility?" Of course. But not "expected."

No shame in beating the teams that were in front of us. That's more than 11 other ACC teams can claim. And don't forget, WE LIKELY BEAT THREE NCAA-BOUND TEAMS IN THE ACCT! Great effort guys!

Gotta say this team has shown tremendous development/transformation and proabably "bounce-back" or "heart" through the course of the season. As much as any in several years for us. Lots to be very proud of...

As for seeds, not very much discussion on the various other NCAA/MBB boards about Duke being a possible #1 seed. All discussion seems focused on which 4 of the big-5 will get it (UNC-ch, Pitt, Louis., UCONN, Memphis -- btw that's my personal rank order of those 5). We are an obvious #6 overall, though could move up to #5 overall, esp if UCONN gets the fourth #1 seed. But my money is on us getting paired in a region with Louisville -- fine by me as I think that's our second-best matchup out of the 5 (after Memphis)...but we have 3 games to worry about who we might see in a Regional final. And I see the last two #2's as being OK (with Griffin back) and MSU. KA could slip in though - would love to see them paired in the UNC region. We'll see shortly.

I love this time of year! This team seems to have as much confidence as any Duke squad in several years going into the big dance. Hmmm.

Any good sights to see in Detroit?? ;-) (Yeah, I know, one step at a time...)

Grab up those Greensboro tix for rounds 1 & 2 kids!!

-BDBD

The funny part is Carolina fans who act like the ACC tourny doesn't matter.

Is that why they hang all those ACC Tourny banners from the Dean Dome rafters? Because they "don't matter"?
    I hear you man. I get that all the time from tar heels.

turnovers

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Had to look at the box score several times: 4 TO. Are you kidding me? That was amazing!
    Never thought it would be a good thing for Scheyer to lead the team in turnovers!

Since we all go back to a period of time.. mine is '63-'64 season,, all we need to remember is #17 SEVENTEEN ACC CHAMPIONSHIPS.

CONGRATS 2009 ACC MENS BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS