Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JJ still rules

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    And early entry to the NBA had its effect, too, of course. JWill is probably the record holder had he stayed for his senior season.
    And Kenny Anderson would have the assist record, especially assuming Dennis Scott would also have been around anohter year. For the umpteenth time, let him have his record. We got bigger fish to fry.

Quote Originally Posted by Hancock 4 Duke View Post
    then that would take more away from JJ's points. Also, all Hansbrough has points from is layups, dunks, and 4 footers. It takes more skills to hit all of those three pointers. They should make three categories for- Free throw scoring leader, Three point scoring leader, and 2 point feild goal scoring leader.
    But JJ gets rewarded for the "extra skill" by receiving an extra point.

Quote Originally Posted by Hancock 4 Duke View Post
    then that would take more away from JJ's points. Also, all Hansbrough has points from is layups, dunks, and 4 footers. It takes more skills to hit all of those three pointers. They should make three categories for- Free throw scoring leader, Three point scoring leader, and 2 point feild goal scoring leader.
    Then they should take away from JJ's points as well. The tournament is a "playoff game" so-to-speak, no other sports consider playoff games in personal stat records...

Quote Originally Posted by dukegirlinsc View Post
    Then they should take away from JJ's points as well. The tournament is a "playoff game" so-to-speak, no other sports consider playoff games in personal stat records...
    Eh? Which "sports" don't? Nothing is coming to me. Some sports do differentiate regular season, playoff, and career records, but "career" records are almost always inclusive of postseason numbers. This is a "career" record that's been talked about.

Per game numbers and even per minute numbers are just as interesting, even if you go for all games, though.

Quote Originally Posted by spifi View Post
    Eh? Which "sports" don't? Nothing is coming to me. Some sports do differentiate regular season, playoff, and career records, but "career" records are almost always inclusive of postseason numbers. This is a "career" record that's been talked about.

Per game numbers and even per minute numbers are just as interesting, even if you go for all games, though.
    Pretty sure MLB doesn't count post-season HR's as part of career totals, but I could be wrong. Too lazy to look it up at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeCO2009 View Post
    Pretty sure MLB doesn't count post-season HR's as part of career totals, but I could be wrong. Too lazy to look it up at the moment.
    Nope, pretty sure career is career. The "single season" record didn't include playoffs, though.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    And Kenny Anderson would have the assist record, especially assuming Dennis Scott would also have been around anohter year. For the umpteenth time, let him have his record. We got bigger fish to fry.
    If Scott had hung around another year, he would have put up a career points number that JJ would have fallen short of, and that Hansblow couldn't match. Scott had 2115 points in three years, and averaged 27.7 ppg his junior year. Even if he only averaged 28 ppg his senior year, and GT only played in 30 games that year, he'd have ended up with 2955 points. Yowza.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Eh? Which "sports" don't?
    1. MLB
    2. NFL
    3. NBA
    4. NHL

You know, just the major professional leagues. I am pretty sure that the NCAA just started including bowl games in career statistics.

Now back to the topic at hand...I cant believe the amount of people in this thread trying to take away the accomplishment from Tyler. The only thing that he does wrong is play for UNC. He is not the one that blows the whistle that sends him to the foul line everytime he get bumped. He is not stopping any refs from blowing the whistle whenever his pivot foot happens to move a little.

Nope, pretty sure career is career.
    Wrong. All of the major sports differentiate between playoff and regular season stats, and none of them count any playoff numbers toward career totals.

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    If Scott had hung around another year, he would have put up a career points number that JJ would have fallen short of, and that Hansblow couldn't match. Scott had 2115 points in three years, and averaged 27.7 ppg his junior year. Even if he only averaged 28 ppg his senior year, and GT only played in 30 games that year, he'd have ended up with 2955 points. Yowza.
    Good point. Points per minute numbers still put Hansbrough way in the lead of those three with him at .65, JJ with .58, and Scott at .57. But I culled that based on stats from three different sites. Anyone know where you could look this up on the same site? And would automatically pull up top PPM performers from the conference all-time? Hansbrough has a clear edge of these three, but I'd bet there are more prolific performers out there (and I'm talking about with some reasonable minimums in here to weed out the very short timers).

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    so, tyler will get the title, against some non-acc 16 seed where there won't be as much fanfare....fine..

other than that...i just gotta man up and say... "congrats big man...Quite an accomplishment."

ugh...that was difficult...
    Don't count Radford out. They hail from Roanoke, VA, my birthplace, and with Lawson coming off an injury back into the lineup, you never know...

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Wrong. All of the major sports differentiate between playoff and regular season stats, and none of them count any playoff numbers toward career totals.
    Thanks for clarifying that. I was pretty sure I was correct...but I've been wrong maybe one other time in my life.

Although one-game playoffs in baseball to determine who makes the postseason *do* count. For example, the '78 Yankees/Red Sox playoff game resulted in Ron Guidry's 25th win of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by dukegirlinsc View Post
    If they do, I will vomit. I don't think they presented JJ any award?
    No, I was at the game when JJ broke the record and there was no award. And if my memory serves me correctly, I don't even think there was an announcement made. But the Duke fans there sure knew and were counting down each basket/point (even though he played pretty crappy that day, hah.) and screamed our BRAINS out after that free throw.

So if there is any special treatment for Tyler when it happens I will not be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKfan View Post
    Don't count Radford out. They hail from Roanoke, VA, my birthplace, and with Lawson coming off an injury back into the lineup, you never know...
    The good news is when he breaks the mark in a loss to Radford, his record will stand as a perpetual reminder of the first 1 to lose to a 16.