Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    A couple of notes now that I'm inside and dry (it's been two cold days in Atlanta, today adding a nice rain to the mix.)

I concur with the comment about Gary having a good defensive game plan tonight. It was clear they were daring Elliot to shoot 3s. After two (I believe) he made the good decision not to.

Some comments in this thread about our defense, and Hayes scoring so much late. I think it was more denying Vasquez the ball late, and daring Hayes to beat us with twos, instead of Vasquez's possible threes. To his credit, he did make a lot of tough baskets to keep them close.

Please Dave, SHOOT THE BALL! Good things happen when you do!

Yesterday Kyle, today Jon, tomorrow Gerald?

Coach K on Nolan

Apparently Coach K was very dissappointed with some Maryland fans heckling Nolan about his injury. Usually K lets that stuff roll off his back so it must have been pretty bad, or as he says,"some true humanitarians." He gave Nolan big kudos though-great to hear.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/college_basketball/

Thomas

Thomas had limited minutes today and I think it was because his mobility seemed to be compromised. It is probably due to his ankle sprain, but after his inability to stay in front of Vasquez on a couple of plays, coach changed his assignments and actually he had to sit. I wonder how close he is to 100% going into the NCAA's

What's so frustrating about Thomas is that he is basically in there to play interior defense, set screens and rebound. But he just can't seem to get the knack for rebounding. He has poor positioning, doesn't anticipate well and has bad hands. I was looking at his rebounding stats and he hasn't had one game with more than 6 rebounds since the pre-conference schedule.

We need to do a better job rebounding tomorrow and in the tourney and it would be nice to see Thomas make that more of a focus of his game.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Plumlee

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    What's so frustrating about Thomas is that he is basically in there to play interior defense, set screens and rebound. But he just can't seem to get the knack for rebounding. He has poor positioning, doesn't anticipate well and has bad hands. I was looking at his rebounding stats and he hasn't had one game with more than 6 rebounds since the pre-conference schedule.

We need to do a better job rebounding tomorrow and in the tourney and it would be nice to see Thomas make that more of a focus of his game.
    I have been surprised that Miles has not seen a minute since the Florida State game where he got a minute. I suppose if someone gets into foul trouble- we may see him- but he is fresh and could give a few minutes tomorrow against their bigs.

Quote Originally Posted by MonitorMom View Post
    Apparently Coach K was very dissappointed with some Maryland fans heckling Nolan about his injury. Usually K lets that stuff roll off his back so it must have been pretty bad, or as he says,"some true humanitarians." He gave Nolan big kudos though-great to hear.

Yeah, that's what I saw from the Raycom feed. While Nolan was preparing his first FT there at the end of the game the camera panned across these neanderthal-like Maryland fans that were right behind the coach's portion of the Duke bench. You could tell they were giving Nolan a hard time. After Nolan's made FT Coach K leaped up and started giving it back to that Terp crowd. I was like, damn you never see Coach K actually react back with fans... typical Maryland behavior.

I thought all season long that the style of play in the ACC was more physical than in the past. This tournament has been called rediculously bad. Aside from the Va Tech/UNC game which was just an embarassment for the league, all the games have bee officiated to allow just about anything in the paint. On one hand, it's disappointing because it's ugly basketball and it doesn't usually help Duke. On the other hand, sadly, the NCAAT has been called that way of late so having Duke play and succeed in this style is good practice.

It nice to see our guys continue to play well and to see Nolan back in the mix today. He played well, espeically considering how they neutralized Elliot. After watching us play 2 days in a row, I have a question. We have had success of late brining G off screens and having him attack the lane. Tonight, UMD double teamed G until he stopped and gave up the ball. My question is this: has anyone else noticed that we seem to be unable to make an entry pass on a pick and roll? I've seen guys roll to the hoop and be wide open and we don't even look to get them the ball. It seems like we could either directly make that pass or swing it to the outside then make an extra entry to the guy rolling off that pick for a layup. I think other teams have noticed that we don't make this so they get to cheat and hold their double teams off screens longer. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by DankeShane View Post
    Yeah, that's what I saw from the Raycom feed. While Nolan was preparing his first FT there at the end of the game the camera panned across these neanderthal-like Maryland fans that were right behind the coach's portion of the Duke bench. You could tell they were giving Nolan a hard time. After Nolan's made FT Coach K leaped up and started giving it back to that Terp crowd. I was like, damn you never see Coach K actually react back with fans... typical Maryland behavior.
    I really enjoyed seeing Dave "hip check" Neal end his career losing 3 times to Duke.

Spring Lake, NC (acutally Harnett County)

Good tough win

I thought we were just deadly killer tough today. The games in the tournament have been called even - just allowing everyone to push and shove in the middle. We have stood up well to the challenge in the last two games (Singler has been great). Today, we had a lot of "bad" luck - so many balls that just didn't ounce our way. I didn't think it was being out-hustled, just bad luck. Still, we never lost our cool and we adjusted our play to match the officiating.

Tar Heels lose we win, great day!

was at the game, Gerald was fading away on all his shots, he's got to go straight up. He did make a key 3 at an crucial time in the 2nd half.. Williams got to take those shots. Singler and Jon are iron men. Has Kyle come out at all?? Gonna be special tomorrow when we win.

Quote Originally Posted by SMO View Post
    I really enjoyed seeing Dave "hip check" Neal end his career losing 3 times to Duke.
    Bob Harris interviewed Nolan Smith during the radio broadcast pregame show and Smith stated that the screen was legal and Dave Neal is not a dirty player. Smith went on to state that Neal came onto the team bus after the game and spoke to him.

It seems Nolan Smith has no ill feelings toward Dave Neal so I believe we should all follow Nolan's lead and move on.
    Bob Green

Yes, those fans were caught...

Quote Originally Posted by MonitorMom View Post

on TV deriding Nolan as he shot free throws! Were they actually sitting behind Duke's bench? Man oh man, they were stooopid. I'm not surprised though; I still rate Maryland's fans as the #1 boorish group out there.

dth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Big props to Coach K for not forcing Elliot Williams out there in a game where he clearly was struggling, and instead going with Nolan Smith, who played very well.
    At the same time, I am glad that he didn't abandon E. I hope we keep this same starting lineup. Let Nolan come in as 6th man.

It is 100% clear what E needs to work on this offseason. He needs a better outside shot. Still, the dude is has great rebounding instincts.

Another solid win.

This game present a great example of why this is our best team in a long long time. G and Kyle struggle a bit. No problem. Jon, Nolan, and Dave step it up.

2 great games by Dave in a row.

A championship would mean a lot. I'd love to see this team firing on all cyliders. It has not happened all season, and I think it wilol before its over.
    "Just like you man. I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase." Omar Little

LT, Z, DMc

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    What's so frustrating about Thomas is that he is basically in there to play interior defense, set screens and rebound. But he just can't seem to get the knack for rebounding. He has poor positioning, doesn't anticipate well and has bad hands.
    Agree 100%. For me, this is one of the few troubling issues [sure, a few others, too] in an otherwise stirring response to our brutal end-schedule and always tough tourney. Amid lots of good news, we can, following K, tell the truth about areas of concern in a constructively critical way.

At times LT scores a good putback, and sometimes he switches reasonably well. Yet, to make the obvious and painful contrast with Scheyer, LT doesn't yet have good court awareness, and he's not gonna develop it this year. His chief strength - his ferocious energy - is simultaneously his chief weakness, for he's too often wildly out of control. So not only does he have no knack for rebounding, he also loses possession for us too often with illegal blocks. Again, he's not got the knack [lots of other big guys lack it too] for staying still, keeping arm/elbow/shoulder in, etc. Further, he's not solid at free throw line block outs, and I tend to scream at him, K, the world, when the opposition gets an offensive rebound on free throw. For most coaches, this is, as it should be, an unpardonable sin.

Contrast all this with DMc, who blocks out [today!], blocks shots [today!], keeps offensive rebounds in play [today!], flicks passes [today!], steals from the passing lanes [today!].

I'm sure that K will continue to rotate DMc, LT, and Z, possibly MP1 in spot situations; and any of those could be a key contributor in any of our remaining 7 games. Odds are, however, that DMc's spot minutes will be, not spotty, but serious floor time. Honestly, even at his size disadvantage, it's clear to me that we're a better team when he's our 2d "big" with KS. And I do not believe that when he's that 2d big, that KS must play the opposing 5. With our switching, shoot, JS or G is just as likely to be defending down in the lane.

I hope LT and Z will contribute at key moments. I absolutely and confidently expect DMc to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post

Contrast all this with DMc, who blocks out [today!], blocks shots [today!], keeps offensive rebounds in play [today!], flicks passes [today!], steals from the passing lanes [today!].
    He made some sensational plays. I really liked the block of the 3-point attempt by Eric Hayes (today's Biko Paris) from the corner.

LT's rebounding issues is very similar to Zoo's...you just notice it less since he's not as big a guy. He can jump and get the board...but any contact and the ball slips from his hands like he's Casey Sanders.

Offseason, how bout this exercise for the two big guys. One guy keeps shooting 3s a bit hard so as to try to allow rebounds, and zoo, lance and lets say a walk on (steve johnson?) try and out muscle each other for the boards...so as to see whether they can HOLD ON to the ball after contact.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Not disputing what you're saying re LT and Z, but keep in mind LT had a pretty bad ankle injury, high sprain? and Z has a broken nose. It is somewhat surprisning they are even playing at all. Have to give them some credit for toughness and wanting to be out there helping their team win, even if it might make them look ineffective and open them to criticism. The team is going to need them to make a good long run in the NCAAs. Not to mention the ACC championship. It is easy to forget how hard this team plays every game. If you watch a big ten game now and then it refreshes your memory. Anyway good to see the team getting healthy and LUCK in the ACC chanmpionship game tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    LT's rebounding issues is very similar to Zoo's...you just notice it less since he's not as big a guy. He can jump and get the board...but any contact and the ball slips from his hands like he's Casey Sanders.

Offseason, how bout this exercise for the two big guys. One guy keeps shooting 3s a bit hard so as to try to allow rebounds, and zoo, lance and lets say a walk on (steve johnson?) try and out muscle each other for the boards...so as to see whether they can HOLD ON to the ball after contact.
    These two guys are at the end of their junior year - if they haven't figured it out by now, I don't think its going to happen. The moving screens that Z seems to set in every game just kill me. Here's hoping Dave plays more and more during the tournament - we give up some size, but he understands the game.
    Last edited by arnie; 03-14-2009 at 10:58 PM. Reason: misspelling

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post

Yes, the comparison to Casey Sanders is valid, not just for the hands, but for Casey's bad footwork, too. I swear CS just didn't know which was his pivot foot, so he seemed always off balance on offense. Like LT, sort of out of control, off balance, not quite in tune with the rhythm of the game.

I'm confident that K will be straight with both LT and Z, and lay it on the line after the season about what they must work on to play solid minutes next season. I wish he could do it now, but it's too late for fundamental fundamentals this season. Or is it?

Back to Casey to end on a positive, and fondly remembered, note: in some interview or maybe an ESPN retrospective, K told how Carlos and Casey were good buddies, and that at halftime of the NC game v. Arizona, K had to make sure that Carlos wouldn't worry about hurting Casey's feelings [!!] if Carlos started the 2d half. So, as K tells it, he asked Casey, in front of Carlos, "Casey, are you ok with not starting this half?" K does psychology pretty well.

And let's hope for a fairy tale ending in '09, with LT and Z making Casey-like contributions to a NC.

Bottom line, we've been able to do what other teams have not: slow down Vasquez.

If we can do that to some measure against Douglas, we'll be in good shape tomorrow.