Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Espn's annoying new three-way splitscreen

I'm referring to the way espn puts the game on the left and the two coachs, one above each other, on the right. Maybe this is tolerable on HD, but not all of us have HD (and I'm watching the game on an HD teevee with a standard def signal, which isn't any better). Please quit this splitscreen crap and just show us the damn game.

It's pretty terrible in HD too. What I really don't understand is why they shrink the entire screen down... there's a good 3 inches of blank space around all 4 edges. Very bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    It's pretty terrible in HD too. What I really don't understand is why they shrink the entire screen down... there's a good 3 inches of blank space around all 4 edges. Very bizarre.
    On my 50 inch screen, it's more than 3 inches more like 8.

And why since it's a game about the team and about college basketball players, why do we need to see the expressions of the frickin' coaches? Especially Gary. I want to see the game!
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    I'm referring to the way espn puts the game on the left and the two coachs, one above each other, on the right. Maybe this is tolerable on HD, but not all of us have HD (and I'm watching the game on an HD teevee with a standard def signal, which isn't any better). Please quit this splitscreen crap and just show us the damn game.
    Like others have said, this is horrible on HD...in fact, it knocks the game OUT of HD.

God...if they're not even referring to the person in the side screen, like they were most of the game, they should never have that on.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

It's horrible. It turns a 50 in. screen into a 28 in. with a bad picture.

Just getting us prepped for the CBS four-in-one NCAA tourney screen. Can't wait!!
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Thumbs down 40% of the normal picture

On my big screen, it shrunk to one-half the width and about 80% of the depth. What a ridiculous idea! In fact, who really cares about the coaches; basketball is about the game and the players? Post-game and pre-game is for the coaches.

sagegrouse

How many times did our dear Raycom go blank? At least twice during this last game.
    What a toss-up, goofy screen splits or blank screens with sound only, lights blanking out or shot clocks freezing?

Geez, just bring the tourney back to Gboro, or maybe even let UVA get a shot at it in their beautiful new arena. Bigger is not better.

And while we're at it, let's all hit ourselves in the head with a frying pan each time we see the Geico eyeball money commercials.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Luckily I didn't have to suffer the split screen, but it sounds horrible; I hate it when they use it for anything. Was it like that for the whole game?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I hate these camera gimmicks. I watched some of the first half on a small, non-HD TV and literally couldn't see the game screen when they did this. I watched the rest of the game in HD and was just annoyed that they'd shrink game screen making everything that much harder to follow. If they want to do have the split screen as an option on certain HD channels or on ESPN360.com or something like that, that's perfectly fine with me. But man, I'd much rather be able to watch the game normally.

Interesting replies. I kinda liked it. They only do it for a moment at a time, so I don't find it distracting. I suppose it would be intolerable if it lasted longer than 30 seconds. Plus, it's one of the few times you get to see Coach K standing up during the game, animated. In the past, you'd get the same ol shots of him sitting on the bench with hand on face, seemingly disinterested.

I don't like. I pay for a good size screen, why shrink it down?

Quote Originally Posted by micah75 View Post
    Interesting replies. I kinda liked it. They only do it for a moment at a time, so I don't find it distracting. I suppose it would be intolerable if it lasted longer than 30 seconds. Plus, it's one of the few times you get to see Coach K standing up during the game, animated. In the past, you'd get the same ol shots of him sitting on the bench with hand on face, seemingly disinterested.
    I think it could make sense for them to briefly use the split-screen during dead-ball situations when we wouldn't be missing any action anyway. But even then, it should use 100% of our TV screen, not 60-70%. The only time it actually made me mad was when they did it down the stretch while Duke was in the process of making a couple of big plays... it was the equivalent of having a severe weather warning pop-up at the worst time imaginable.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    ... it was the equivalent of having a severe weather warning pop-up at the worst time imaginable.

You nailed it.
    ~rthomas

Unhappy E-Mail ESPN!

Quote Originally Posted by micah75 View Post
    I suppose it would be intolerable if it lasted longer than 30 seconds.
    They do it for at least an entire possesion. It seems interminable.

For all those who don't like it - please email ESPN! I did.

I would understand it if it were cut-ins from other games. Although, remember how that early 90s 4-way CBS screen was panned?

But why do we need to see two sixty year-old guys (God love both of em, especially our guy) whom we see at every game, during live action?

If they're going to stick with this, I want a dedicated PiP camera on Erin Andrews.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Glad someone started this thread. This is absolutely terrible. Can't see, I yell at my tv the whole time it's up begging them to stop but they just keep right on ... adds virtually nothing - game action is busy on and I have to look at the coaches' impassive faces (or even when they aren't impassive - I just don't really care). Make it stop.

was that only on ESPN?? We get the raycom broadcast here in the triangle, and i don't remember seeing what you guys are talking about...

i could have been using gRAVus to block out the memory of that screen disaster...

They don't seem to have used it for today's game (the championship). I was multitasking during the game, watching in between lifting weights, but didn't see it. Maybe they got the message.

I wish we'd get Erin in the first place rather than the superannuated Heather Cox.

trust me, its just as bad on HD as on SD. Its awful, hope this doesn't happen in the NCAA.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    They don't seem to have used it for today's game (the championship). I was multitasking during the game, watching in between lifting weights, but didn't see it. Maybe they got the message.

I wish we'd get Erin in the first place rather than the superannuated Heather Cox.
    They used it once or twice during today's game, unfortunately. You must have just missed it...