Opening Round Bye...Overrated?

Three of the four quarter-final games came down to chances on final possessions. Could it possibly be due to the fact that some teams already had their feet wet? I understand the advantage of three games in three days over four in four.

Is there a different tournament format that can be explored?

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    Three of the four quarter-final games came down to chances on final possessions. Could it possibly be due to the fact that some teams already had their feet wet? I understand the advantage of three games in three days over four in four.

I think there might be something to be said for having gotten acquainted with the floor with a game the day before. That said, I'm not sure there's really a way to make the situation better, given the time and budget constraints. Maybe you could have the "play-in" games a day earlier. But, there are some problems with that:
    - It is more expensive for the schools involved;
    - It doesn't necessarily address the problem (those guys have still played an extra game)

The only other thing I can think of would be to have the "play-in" games be played as a home game for the higher seed earlier in the week (Wednesday maybe), and then have the winners come to the ACC tournament on Thursday. That would eliminate the advantage of familiarity, but it'd be a scheduling nightmare and it would go against the communal nature of the conference tournament.

Coach K said that he thought the guys played better in the second half because they'd had the first 20 minutes to warm up. Because they didn't get to shoot before the game, they may have been a little rusty. But I don't see any alternative.
    DukeDevilDeb

I think any benefits of a first round bye are relative. It can cause you to have a rusty first half or game. As noted above coach K thought the guys were rusty the first half, but it could also be that the previous game played by BC caused them to be warmed up in the first half but maybe cost them a half step in the second half.

Today, against UM, the bye should be more of an advantage for our players. Despite the fact that UM got a couple hours head start on the wind down and rest since they had the early game, they'll be playing in their third game in three days.

Playing in a dome is different and takes even good teams a while to get adjusted.

If this tournament were played in the Greensboro Coliseum, for example , I don't think you would see the top teams be at an early disadvantage vs those that had played the previous day.

At least the teams playing today will have a chance to practice a little on the court where they will be playing their games. Tough to shoot on a court you haven't practiced on.

Quote Originally Posted by sandinmyshoes View Post
    I think any benefits of a first round bye are relative. It can cause you to have a rusty first half or game. As noted above coach K thought the guys were rusty the first half, but it could also be that the previous game played by BC caused them to be warmed up in the first half but maybe cost them a half step in the second half.

Today, against UM, the bye should be more of an advantage for our players. Despite the fact that UM got a couple hours head start on the wind down and rest since they had the early game, they'll be playing in their third game in three days.
    I think you hit the nail on the head. For the quarterfinals, there is a slight advantage to the teams playing on Thursday who have had a chance to "warm up" on the court. That advantage is supposedly balanced by the fact that the other team is fresh and more talented, based on their higher seed.

I also hope that in the semi-finals, a team playing on Thursday will have lost that edge, and may be fatigued playing their third game in three days. But given that Maryland is the only team that affects, it's kind of hard to judge.
    "There can BE only one."