Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke-MD in ACCT Semi-finals pre-game and in-game thread

Place your pre-game thoughts here. Beating a team three times in one season is hard but not impossible. We will need to play strong against the Terps to advance to the finals. This is an important game (aren't they all?) for us.
    Last edited by Bob Green; 03-14-2009 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Spelling - damn beer is effecting my brain!
    Bob Green

Anyone who can make the trip, PLEASE try to get to the dome and buy some tickets outside. Its going to be packed with UNC fans!

Any chance the Terps are playing for a bid tomorrow? I know most people thought they were in w/ a win over Wake but the bubble is definitely shrinking. Temple/Duquesne is a bid off the table. USC potentially winning the Pac 10 is another. SDS could steal another (and might just make it as an at-large). Baylor could steal one as well. Same with Miss. St.

I'm waiting for Vasquez to say that Atlanta is "His house". Oh, and someone tell Nolan to watch out for that big guy Neal.

Not our rival

Let's put the final nail in that coffin by sending them packing today.

I look forward to the game. I anticipate that it will be a close game with the Devils' talent advantage and fresher legs showing up in the second half.

gw67

I definitely prefer playing Maryland to Wake, because I think Duke matches up better with Maryland and because Wake is simply a better team. But that said, I'm never happy about Duke playing Maryland. The Terps are rough, they're pesky, they have a couple of dangerous players, and they have a coach who knows how to get his team amped up for game's against the elite - even if they're overmatched talentwise.

The first key - as always - is containing Vazquez. The second key is to not forget about everyone else when trying to contain Vazquez. We have the better team. If Duke executes offensively and don't let Maryland outhustle, outphysical, and out-Vazquez them, we should be happy campers this evening. That's obviously easier said than done.

Can't wait until this afternoon to cheer for FSU to upset UNC and then cheer for the Devils to get to yet another ACC tournament final.

Saturday "Balmer" Sun Maese article breaking down Terps' performance: why they will

be on fire against Duke.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/c...5347847.column

Best--Blueprof

Can someone remember to call out the screens for Nolan this time around?

Quote Originally Posted by InSpades View Post
    Any chance the Terps are playing for a bid tomorrow? I know most people thought they were in w/ a win over Wake but the bubble is definitely shrinking. Temple/Duquesne is a bid off the table. USC potentially winning the Pac 10 is another. SDS could steal another (and might just make it as an at-large). Baylor could steal one as well. Same with Miss. St.
    The Terps have to be in. Yes they have some bad losses but no one on the bubble has 3 wins as good as Michigan State, Wake Forest, and UNC. Those are two #1 seeds and a #3 seed. I think regardless of today's result Maryland is in. But I still dont like them. GO DUKE!!!!!

Nolan is...

Quote Originally Posted by RainingThrees View Post
    I'm waiting for Vasquez to say that Atlanta is "His house". Oh, and someone tell Nolan to watch out for that big guy Neal.
    prepping for a tomahawk DUNK to welcome Mr. Neal to Atlanta.

LET'S GO DUKE!

dth.

One BIG advantage we will have today is...

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I definitely prefer playing Maryland to Wake, because I think Duke matches up better with Maryland and because Wake is simply a better team. But that said, I'm never happy about Duke playing Maryland. The Terps are rough, they're pesky, they have a couple of dangerous players, and they have a coach who knows how to get his team amped up for game's against the elite - even if they're overmatched talentwise.

The first key - as always - is containing Vazquez. The second key is to not forget about everyone else when trying to contain Vazquez. We have the better team. If Duke executes offensively and don't let Maryland outhustle, outphysical, and out-Vazquez them, we should be happy campers this evening. That's obviously easier said than done.

Can't wait until this afternoon to cheer for FSU to upset UNC and then cheer for the Devils to get to yet another ACC tournament final.
    ...that Maryland is playing their third game in three days. Fatigue is going to be a factor late in the second half. Also, we are flat out a better basketball team than Maryland and despite their couple of wins, I don't think they're playing particularly well.

dth.

Quote Originally Posted by dukestheheat View Post
    ...that Maryland is playing their third game in three days. Fatigue is going to be a factor late in the second half. Also, we are flat out a better basketball team than Maryland and despite their couple of wins, I don't think they're playing particularly well.

dth.
    I agree with all of those things. The counter to that is that they are often buoyed emotionally by Vazquez, whose game is so smooth that I wonder if he'll be bothered by fatigue. But yes, we could be able to wear Maryland down given that they've had to play two tough games back to back already, and they will likely have to play another game at full intensity to get a win today.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Place your pre-game thoughts here. Beating a team three times in one season is hard but not impossible. We will need to play strong against the Terps to advance to the finals. This is an important game (aren't they all?) for us.

Okay, guys. Whats would be the best scenario for Duke? A win first of all, of course. So, who to you want to play?

Bob is right about getting three wins in a season against a good opponent. If that holds true, who would you rather see on Sunday; FSU or UNC? Duke has two wins over FSU and we all know they weren't easy. UNC has two wins against Duke this season but they are a very good team that is built to exploit Duke's weaknesses. Pick your poison, guys.

My pride is saying that I would like to see UNC on Sunday and get sweet, sweet revenge. My brain is telling me, FSU would be the better match up.

Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    Okay, guys. Whats would be the best scenario for Duke? A win first of all, of course. So, who to you want to play?

Bob is right about getting three wins in a season against a good opponent. If that holds true, who would you rather see on Sunday; FSU or UNC? Duke has two wins over FSU and we all know they weren't easy. UNC has two wins against Duke this season but they are a very good team that is built to exploit Duke's weaknesses. Pick your poison, guys.

My pride is saying that I would like to see UNC on Sunday and get sweet, sweet revenge. My brain is telling me, FSU would be the better match up.
    I would take (in this order)
    1. UNC sans Lawson
    2. FSU
    3. UNC w/ Lawson
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post

In terms of likelihood of winning the championship, I would rather play FSU. I'd obviously much prefer to beat UNC, but I want first and foremost to get the ACC championship. And I think UNC has a bigger margin for error to beat Duke. FSU can certainly beat Duke, but the likelihood is much less. I've gotten old enough to have learned to look past pride.

Of course, it depends on if Lawson plays. But if Duke and UNC win today, I have a sneaking suspicion we'll see Lawson in the final. And if Lawson plays, that's bad for us. Thus, I'd rather see FSU win today and increase our chances of winning.

I agree with all of those things. The counter to that is that they are often buoyed emotionally by Vazquez, whose game is so smooth that I wonder if he'll be bothered by fatigue. But yes, we could be able to wear Maryland down given that they've had to play two tough games back to back already, and they will likely have to play another game at full intensity to get a win today.
    After watching Syracuse beat WV in OT last night, after playing the 6 OT game the night beofer, I don't buy teams being at a disadvantage due to fatigue anymore.

I agree, Syracuse has shown unbelievable will...It will be interesting to see what they do in the NCAA...

19. Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    In terms of likelihood of winning the championship, I would rather play FSU. I'd obviously much prefer to beat UNC, but I want first and foremost to get the ACC championship. And I think UNC has a bigger margin for error to beat Duke. FSU can certainly beat Duke, but the likelihood is much less. I've gotten old enough to have learned to look past pride.

Of course, it depends on if Lawson plays. But if Duke and UNC win today, I have a sneaking suspicion we'll see Lawson in the final. And if Lawson plays, that's bad for us. Thus, I'd rather see FSU win today and increase our chances of winning.
    Someone (Feldspar maybe?) mentioned this in another thread: once you hit the tournaments, Survive and Advance is the law. Period. I don't care who we beat. I don't care how we beat them. I don't care if we win by 1 or 100, if one guy carries us or everyone contributes equally, or if there's a "controversial" finish that gives ammo to the Duke-haters. If we win, good. If we lose, bad.

That said, I think we have a better chance against almost anyone in the country than we have against UNC. We match up very, very badly with them and they seem to have our number this season. Further, any scenario were UNC loses is good. Always. That's what a rivalry is. I think we have a better chance against FSU, but more than that UNC has a better chance of not winning if FSU beats them. I want to win today, but just as much I want UNC to lose and I want them to lose big. Today, tomorrow, and forever.

Is Len Terpmore going to be calling the game? He practically coaches Dukes opponent when he does the games.