Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Kyle Singler, 1 on 5

He has no help. Scheyer doesn't seem to be looking for a shot. Is E Will getting any pt at all? Nolan, Paulus and the rest just don't seem to want to even try to score. Well, Hendo back for the second half. 1st half as ugly as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    Umm...we built a pretty nice lead and were in control of the game with G on the bench so I am gonna have to disagree with you there. You win games in the 2nd half, not the first, so I'll defer to the coach on this one.

Obviously, it would have been nice to have had Gerald available (and maybe we would have built a bigger lead with him in there) but even so, I thought we played pretty well for about the first 12-14 minutes and just missed some wide-open shots. Scheyer had two 3's that were like halfway down and popped out. We should have had at least a 12-15 point lead fairly early in the game and then our "O" just went in the tank BIG TIME. The mental lapses are what worry me at this point.
    Nice lead? It was 9 points when they had scored 2 over 9 minutes! Did you think they were gonna keep scoring at that pace? Last I checked, 1st half points count just as much as 2nd half points. What's the point of sitting Henderson for a vast majority of the 1st half? So he can play in the 2nd half when we are spotting them a 7-point lead? It just doesn't make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Grossman View Post
    He has no help. Scheyer doesn't seem to be looking for a shot. Is E Will getting any pt at all? Nolan, Paulus and the rest just don't seem to want to even try to score. Well, Hendo back for the second half. 1st half as ugly as it gets.
    Scheyer is shooting and missing.

Nolan is majorly rusty.

I just flipped over to watch the end of Scarface with Pacino. Maybe they should play that in the locker room at halftime. Duke needs to come out guns-a-blazing and not have a care in the world (play aggressive and let the chips fall as they may.)

Quote Originally Posted by CAT Bluedevil View Post
    I am just waiting for Patrick to flash back to calling the Maryland game. Someone needs to check his glasses.
    Patrick's lowlights of the first half (a three way tie):
    1. Confusing Singler and LT
    2. Praising Scheyer for his great defense on the made basket/blocking call
    3. His list of things that can be accomplished in 90 minutes, which included eating 2 pounds of chocolate...well, I'm sure he can

Quote Originally Posted by InSpades View Post
    Nice lead? It was 9 points when they had scored 2 over 9 minutes! Did you think they were gonna keep scoring at that pace? Last I checked, 1st half points count just as much as 2nd half points. What's the point of sitting Henderson for a vast majority of the 1st half? So he can play in the 2nd half when we are spotting them a 7-point lead? It just doesn't make any sense.
    Yeah, I think 9 is a pretty nice lead for this game. Against a good team (not great, but solid - remember they did beat UNC at home with a healthy Ty Lawson?) in the ACC tourney mid way through the first half. I'll take it every day. As I said, I'm not happy with what we did after that point, but yeah, it was a NICE lead.

Yea but you can lose the game in the first half

[QUOTE=ChrisP;271232]Umm...we built a pretty nice lead and were in control of the game with G on the bench so I am gonna have to disagree with you there. You win games in the 2nd half, not the first, so I'll defer to the coach on this one.

The way we are playing offense a 7 point lead might as well be 20.

ChrisP, nothing personal. I have been waiting for 2 years for Duke to blow somebody away in a post season tournament so that they can regain their swagger. I am just not seeing it.
    Last edited by MarkD83; 03-13-2009 at 10:46 PM. Reason: needed to vent

And, unfortunately, it's not just about us. Rice is a really, really good player - better offensively than anyone we have IMO.
    Quel est si drole de la paix, de l'amour, et de la comprehension?

Why does ESPN keep splitting the screen and showing Al Skinner sitting their emotionless?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Thanks, Bob!

Nice to see Nolan hit that 3. No hesitation at all, which I've very glad to see. Hope that helps shake the rust off offensively for him.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Scheyer is shooting and missing.
    Doesn't he look like he's leaning/drifting forward on his threes more than usual? It's not quite the same perfect form we saw against Carolina. Maybe that last one will get him on track.

Elliot has been doing a terrific job on Rice so far. The only time he's really doing anything is when Singler or someone else is switched off on him.

If Kyle keeps switching off and guarding Rice, we are in real big trouble. WE're getting caught with a guard on their big man. Fight thru the screen for heavens sake. Go Duke!

can someone get a fricken rebound?

I hate this type of game. As another poster mentioned, there have been several little plays here in the 2nd half where we were right on the verge of pulling ahead and seizing the momentum and BC finds a way to get the loose ball after a missed shot or just avoid a turnover. It's driving me crazy because I honestly do feel like Duke is very close to being able to pull ahead and they just can't get that one extra play that's needed.

It will be tough to pull this one out unless Henderson steps up. As well as he's playing, Singler probably won't be able to carry us all the way on his own. He needs some help.

BTW, why are there Carolina fans all over the dome?

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    If Kyle keeps switching off and guarding Rice, we are in real big trouble. WE're getting caught with a guard on their big man. Fight thru the screen for heavens sake. Go Duke!
    Absolutely, that has to stop. They are exploiting that almost every single time down the court.

switches

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I agree... I understand that switching on every screen keeps defensive pressure on them, but when they're not even attacking the basket but just walking by each other, there's no reason for us to switch.

What?!!! How can these announcers be screaming for a foul there? That was a clean block and the body contact afterward is incidental. Geesh.

sorry just got in..

and don't have time to read the entire thread. Is there somewhere I can listen to the game on the internet?