ACC Roundup - Tournament Edition

As usual, DBR does an outstanding job of providing links from various sources on the ACC Tournament so those of us who are ACC fans are able to get different perspectives. Keep up the good work fellas!

I would like for Virginia Tech, Virginia, Maryland and Clemson to win today's games but I suspect that Miami, BC, NC State and Clemson will emerge as victors. Overall, I expect the conference to get 6 bids to the NCAAT and 3 bids to the NIT.

One link that doesn't appear to be listed is a well balanced article by the Baltimore Sun on DBR's favorite coach, Gary Williams (see below). I had heard that he had saved the life of Bob Tallent's child many years ago but I thought that the story was just an urban legend. It is nice to read that it was true. Williams is an excellent basketball coach but he has lots of warts and I suspect that he will be asked to leave after next year if they don't make to NCAAT. I see no way for them to make it this year.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/c...,4442995.story

gw67

In that article Gary makes a big deal about running a "clean program." The term "clean program" does not excite fans, or seem like a big deal, so it might help quiet his detractors if he ditched the euphemisms and was blunt about what he meant to say: "I am in the minority of major college coaches, in that my program and boosters do not pay recruits or players." There seems to be an unwritten rule that coaches are not allowed to draw attention to the rampant violations that exist in college these days. It would be nice, and might ultimately help Gary's job security, if he were to just ditch the unwritten rule and tell it like it is.

Gary Williams

Quote Originally Posted by bdh21 View Post
    In that article Gary makes a big deal about running a "clean program." The term "clean program" does not excite fans, or seem like a big deal, so it might help quiet his detractors if he ditched the euphemisms and was blunt about what he meant to say: "I am in the minority of major college coaches, in that my program and boosters do not pay recruits or players." There seems to be an unwritten rule that coaches are not allowed to draw attention to the rampant violations that exist in college these days. It would be nice, and might ultimately help Gary's job security, if he were to just ditch the unwritten rule and tell it like it is.
    Yes that could be true. But what about md's graduation rate of it's players. That's nothing to brag about. Is it? Go Duke!