Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    What confuses me is the way that Justus guy seems to say its standard practice... yet as has been pointed out. Hodge missed it by 1 and it wasnt changed, and Tony Douglas apparantly missed it by just 1 this year, and it wasnt changed.

So basically, its standard practice, if the player is from UNC.

I really wonder how often this has been done, and for who... or whether Mr. Jeb Bush Jr. is just full of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    Somewhere out there Julius Hodge is saying, "round up... WTF?" since he finished with a total of 90 out of 91 first place votes in 2004. Somehow Hodge didn't get the helping hand from old John Justus which could have anointed him as "unanimous" back then.

I really don't have a problem if the ACC goes back to a voter and tells him he was the only guy who didn't vote for someone. But where this gets absurd is when they change the vote without that voter's consent. Where it gets even more off the wall is when that voter actually objects to the change and the league allows it to stand.

For Tyler it could be said:

No justus, no 4-time unanimous All ACC selection; know justice, know 4-time All ACC selection.
    Hodge received 52 of a possible 93 votes. Duhon was second with 31 votes

Quote Originally Posted by blueduke59 View Post
    Hodge received 52 of a possible 93 votes. Duhon was second with 31 votes
    ...for ACC Player of the Year. We're talking about All-ACC First team here, unless I missed something.

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskb...030904aab.html

Although I was mistaken in thinking the total number of first place votes was 91 instead of 93.

Red face

Here's my question... it says he was four time unanimous All-ACC. Um, if he wasn't really unanimous this year, was he really unanimous the other three years? Is he a three time unanimous selection? Two time? ONE TIME? Has he EVER truly been a unanimous All-ACC member? How do we know votes weren't changed in previous years for him too? Hansbrough's entire career might be fraudulent!

On a paranoid, tongue-in-cheek tangent... Do we know he REALLY scored all those points, or do the powers that be just want JJ off the books? Did scorekeepers transfer a point or two after each game he played from guys like Danny Green? Were refs "encouraged" to call all those fouls and send him to the line so many times to help him break the record? Just how high does this go? We're through the looking glass here, people. Through the looking glass. Do you want the blue pill, or the red pill, Neo?

I promised myself to never again post in a thread the mentioned Hansbrough in the title but I couldn't resist for a couple of reasons:
    1. One poster asked the question, "Who are the 76 media folks who vote for All ACC?". I have tried to get the answer to that question in the past but have been unsuccessful. It appears that Stevens is one. Apparently, the Post reporters that cover college basketball are not permitted by the paper to vote in the all conference voting according to one of the guys who covered the Terps a few years ago (either Barr or Svrluga if memory serves).
    2. I really don't understand the big deal made about being unanimous. You either are a 1st team choice or you are not. Who gives a hoot about how many votes Henderson got. The facts are very clear. Hansbrough is the 1st ACC player to be 1st team All ACC for 4 years. The closest up to this year was Mark Price who made 1st team three times and 2nd team once. IMO, that is a terrific accomplishment in the best conference in college basketball, much better than some career scoring record.

gw67

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluelemur View Post
    Herald Sun registration...

Generally I comply with sites that demand registration, when it has a purpose... however, the HS is one site I gladly hit up bugmenot.com for. Not only do I generally object to having to register for a site just to read news articles (though I put up with it for the Times and such), but the HS takes it above and beyond.

There is NO legitimate reason for them to demand a home phone number and an address just to register to read articles online, and I'll be expletived if I'm going to give them real information so they can harass me.

/rant
    There's an easy way to get around Paxton Media Group's desperate grab for lucrative demographic information: put "cache:" in front of the url and Google that.

cache:http://heraldsun.southernheadlines.com/sports/18-1118174.cfm

Thumbs up That is correct--an arbitrary policy

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluelemur View Post
    What confuses me is the way that Justus guy seems to say its standard practice... yet as has been pointed out. Hodge missed it by 1 and it wasnt changed, and Tony Douglas apparantly missed it by just 1 this year, and it wasnt changed.

So basically, its standard practice, if the player is from UNC.

I really wonder how often this has been done, and for who... or whether Mr. Jeb Bush Jr. is just full of crap.
    BTW,Jeb Bush was a Phi Beta Kappa from U. of Texas.He has nothing to do with the ACC.
    A consortium(mostly liberal) of national newspapers re-ran the FL vote counting in various manners , including the most extreme in the opponent's favor) and Bush won 16 of 17 scenarios.
    The one scenario not re-run: the fact that the heavily Republican Panhandle is in the Central Time Zone and the voting was considerably repressed (costing Bush a gain of 30,000 plus votes) when the race was declared won by Gore by a national network before the polls were closed in the Central Zone part of the state.
    I have run several campaigns in FL and am happy that basketball and politics rarely intersect.Your statement begged a clarification,however.
    Some of us come to this Main Board to escape politics.If you want politics,please consider the Public Policy site.

Best regards--Blueprof

Quote Originally Posted by blueprofessor View Post
    A consortium(mostly liberal) of national newspapers ...
    Sorry. That phrase made me laugh. So redundant.

It is like saying a consortium of tall basketball players or a consortium of short jockeys. Or whiney tarheels (see how I brought that back on topic?)

Talking Let's get our hearts and minds back where they belong...

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Sorry. That phrase made me laugh. So redundant.

It is like saying a consortium of tall basketball players or a consortium of short jockeys. Or whiney tarheels (see how I brought that back on topic?)
    loving on Duke and being steadfast against those evil teams that would dare keep us from our rightful prize: the NC!

Best--Blueprof

Quote Originally Posted by blueprofessor View Post
    loving on Duke and being steadfast against those evil teams that would dare keep us from our rightful prize: the NC!

Best--Blueprof
    You guys seem to already be headed in this direction but I wanted to make it clear that political discussions/debates will not be tolerated on this bulletin board. Consider this a friendly warning to all of you in this thread and others who might decide to reply to the above political posts.

-Jason "mod" Evans

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by Inonehand View Post
    Hansbrough 4-time Unanimous All-ACC...well not really

http://heraldsun.southernheadlines.c...18-1118174.cfm

In case anyone else is wondering...I looked it up...John Justus is a UNC-Chapel Hill graduate.
    Well, his 4-time unanimous All-ACC Team achievement may be bogus, but his 4-time unanimous inclusion in the All-Beaker Team is undisputed.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkD View Post
    There's an easy way to get around Paxton Media Group's desperate grab for lucrative demographic information: put "cache:" in front of the url and Google that.

cache:http://heraldsun.southernheadlines.com/sports/18-1118174.cfm
    I bow to your superior google-fu. Many thanks for that tip.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    You guys seem to already be headed in this direction but I wanted to make it clear that political discussions/debates will not be tolerated on this bulletin board. Consider this a friendly warning to all of you in this thread and others who might decide to reply to the above political posts.

-Jason "mod" Evans
    Foiled!!!

I would have got away with it too, if it hadn't been for you meddling kids!

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    Well, his 4-time unanimous All-ACC Team achievement may be bogus, but his 4-time unanimous inclusion in the All-Beaker Team is undisputed.

It's really too bad that their new player (Jim) Henson won't be on the team at the same time as Beaker... that could have led to some fun cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    It's really too bad that their new player (Jim) Henson won't be on the team at the same time as Beaker... that could have led to some fun cheers.
    Awesome.

Hansbrough - Most Hated

Hansbrough is certainly the most hated Heels player on this site. John Feinstein has a column on Hansbrough in this morning's Post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...040203893.html

gw67

Quote Originally Posted by gw67 View Post
    Hansbrough is certainly the most hated Heels player on this site. John Feinstein has a column on Hansbrough in this morning's Post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...040203893.html

gw67

I thought that was a really good article....

19. Replace "Hansbrough" with "Redick"

and that article works just as well in 2006.

Hansbrough is really interesting to me, a Dukie stuck in Tar Heel Nation, because he flips every stereotype. He's white, more hard-working than gifted, praised by the media, relies on officiating for his game to work. In short, he's Wojo with a few more inches. And every Tar Heel I know who hated Wojo, loathed Shane, and screamed bloody murder every time Vitale mentioned J.J. LOVES Tyler. Conversely, every Duke fan who praised Wojo for "getting the most out of his abilities", defended Shane's drawing charges, and loved J.J. HATES Tyler. As such, Hansbrough points out the fact that fans, in general, don't care about hard work, officiating, media attention, or any of the things they scream about. Fans care about winning.

That's no big secret, of course. But Hansbrough also points out how silly and self-serving most of the anti-Duke and anti-UNC "talking points" are. In 2006 a UNC buddy of mine jokingly mentioned that Hans was basically a Duke player (hard-working, unathletic, etc) while McBob was basically a Carolina player (amazing athleticism, coasted a lot, etc.) Of course neither of these stereotypes are accurate, but we hear a lot about them (cf Battier vs Forte, Melch vs McCants, Paulus vs Lawson) and they underlie a lot of the media discussion about the two programs as that recent SLAM article makes vividly clear. Duke gets killed by Tar Heel fans for having unathletic, "gritty" white kids that get overhyped by the media, but if it's one of theirs, he's suddenly ok. And we kill UNC for having guys that "take plays off", but as soon as Hansbrough fulfills what we say we love, that's "obnoxious" and "ugly" basketball.

My point is that programs build an identity around the players they have and then elevate that as the "right" way. We love hard-nosed D and finesse O because that's what we've had success with. If we ran some crazy zone D and a gritty, post-oriented O that would be the "right way" and if UNC played the D we use we'd hate them for it. There is no high ground in fandom. Not based on style of play, tactics, or skills vs hard work (which every player on every team has an amazing mix of). It's probably good for all of us, no matter what shade of blue (or red, or green, or whatever) we wear, to be reminded of that every once in a while.

Good points. I just can't get over the mouth breathing with the eyes wide open and bulging. He looks like a fish.