Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hansbrough 4-time Unanimous All-ACC...well not really

http://heraldsun.southernheadlines.c...18-1118174.cfm

In case anyone else is wondering...I looked it up...John Justus is a UNC-Chapel Hill graduate.

Quote Originally Posted by Inonehand View Post
    http://heraldsun.southernheadlines.c...18-1118174.cfm

In case anyone else is wondering...I looked it up...John Justus is a UNC-Chapel Hill graduate.
    No... this can't be true! The media only loves Duke. TH would never get any kind of beneficial treatment or publicity. Clearly I should give you some sort of infraction for besmirching his reputation by posting this obviously fabricated news story.

[/end sarcasm]

WWJDD?

Sounds a bit like their first "national championship."

That is just embarrassing. Heh, heh.

Kudos for the Tarheel Herald Sun for even running the story but it is actually misleading as well. The writer that did not vote for Hanstravel actually called the Atlantic Coast Media Association to complain about it after he saw the 106 out of 106 unanimous count to say that he did NOT vote for him. It was never changed.

Would someone summarize the article for those of us not registered with the Herald?

Edit: Never mind. I think I got the gist from the previous post.

Edit 2: Thanks to Highlander for clarification.
    Last edited by mph; 03-11-2009 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    Would someone summarize the article for those of us not registered with the Herald?
    Mods - please verify this isn't outside fair use...

The ACC reported Hans was the first 4 time Unanimous 1st team All ACC player. Problem is, Hansbrough was left off of one ballot his Sophomore year as all ACC 1st team. The guy organizing the ballots changed the dissenting ballot after he couldn't reach the writer to change it. Oh, and this Justis guy graduated from UNC apparently, if you believe in conspiracies.
    Last edited by Highlander; 03-11-2009 at 11:10 AM.
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Mods - please verify this isn't outside fair use...

The ACC reported Hans was the first 4 time Unanimous 1st team All ACC player. Problem is, Hansbrough was left off of one ballot his Sophomore year as all ACC 1st team. The guy organizing the ballots changed the dissenting ballot after he couldn't reach the writer to change it. Oh, and this Justis guy graduated from UNC apparently, if you believe in conspiracies.
    Actually, he graduated from UNC even if you don't believe in conspiracies.

Somebody actually CHANGED a ballot? Wow, I don't even have words for that. I hope he's doesn't have that job anymore. I mean, it would be scandalous enough if somebody kind of just ignored that ballot "accidentally", but to actually actively change a ballot? What other shenanigans are going on over in the ACC offices? This is the kind of thing that can call the conferences' integrity into question for any of these kinds of things. How many other players from around the conference should've been on these teams and lost their spots to these jokers? Should Duke be counting the money it got the last several seasons? Tongue partially in cheek, but still, this is bad.

Thumbs down Another "explanation"

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow...#comment-43749

from the ACC writers' association is in nearly unanimous vote tallies that the vote is rounded up to unanimous.
    Well, how about Toney Douglas this year?
    None of the stories I have read reveals the executive director of the assoc. by name or undergrad affiliation, which are salient facts.
    Only one story indicates that the Wash. Times writer actually contacted the "powers that be"(the executive director) and wanted his vote counted correctly,thereby making it 105/106, not 106/106.That request was denied and the fabrication continued, despite the fact that the ballot was obvious---a 2nd team vote for TH.
    This stinks and reminds of big city machine politics. Ballot integrity is sacred.

You ought to read the message boards---I just hope the executive director was not imbibing the same true believer quaff that is sating the thirst of those on the Durham and Charlotte papers' messageboards.
    Of course they are not addressing the ballot tampering...

Best regards---Blue "Count every legal ballot accurately"Prof

Quote Originally Posted by blueprofessor View Post
    http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow...#comment-43749

from the ACC writers' association is in nearly unanimous vote tallies that the vote is rounded up to unanimous.
    Well, how about Toney Douglas this year?
    None of the stories I have read reveals the executive director of the assoc. by name or undergrad affiliation, which are salient facts.
    Only one story indicates that the Wash. Times writer actually contacted the "powers that be"(the executive director) and wanted his vote counted correctly,thereby making it 105/106, not 106/106.That request was denied and the fabrication continued, despite the fact that the ballot was obvious---a 2nd team vote for TH.
    This stinks and reminds of big city machine politics. Ballot integrity is sacred.

You ought to read the message boards---I just hope the executive director was not imbibing the same true believer quaff that is sating the thirst of those on the Durham and Charlotte papers' messageboards.
    Of course they are not addressing the ballot tampering...

Best regards---Blue "Count every legal ballot accurately"Prof
    You're exactly right! Toney Douglas was named first team by every voter except one...that one had him second team. No round up for ol' Toney. It really is disgusting.

Herald Sun registration...

Generally I comply with sites that demand registration, when it has a purpose... however, the HS is one site I gladly hit up bugmenot.com for. Not only do I generally object to having to register for a site just to read news articles (though I put up with it for the Times and such), but the HS takes it above and beyond.

There is NO legitimate reason for them to demand a home phone number and an address just to register to read articles online, and I'll be expletived if I'm going to give them real information so they can harass me.

/rant

As to the article itself... its one of those weird situations where it boggles my mind, yet does not surprise me. I think its especially telling that the A(NC)C guy apparently lied even while coming clean... (about not being able to contact the washington post voter.)

I also find it telling that even after its been made clear there was a 'mistake', nobody has bothered to correct it.

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluelemur View Post
    There is NO legitimate reason for them to demand a home phone number and an address just to register to read articles online, and I'll be expletived if I'm going to give them real information so they can harass me.
    Does anything prevent you from using 867-5309 and 1060 West Addison Street, Chicago Illinois, respectively?

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Does anything prevent you from using 867-5309 and 1060 West Addison Street, Chicago Illinois, respectively?
    Yeah, I'm Bob Jones with the phone number 555-555-5555 living on 900 Main St, Durham, NC. For some reason, though, bugmenot accounts aren't working on the H-S website anymore. I've used the first one in the past many times without an issue, but today, none of them work anymore! So, I sucked it up and signed up as Bob Jones.

Talking Bluedog, you and Hurleyfor3 crack me up with your messageboard IQs--Are you sure

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Yeah, I'm Bob Jones with the phone number 555-555-5555 living on 900 Main St, Durham, NC. For some reason, though, bugmenot accounts aren't working on the H-S website anymore. I've used the first one in the past many times without an issue, but today, none of them work anymore! So, I sucked it up and signed up as Bob Jones.
    you aren't managing the ACC Sportswriters Association?

Inonehand---I did not realize it was one voter in the Douglas tally.Thanks.I also noticed a familiar name with a highly relevant post on one of the newsrag blogs.
    Some of the posters are on the attack---blaming the news messengers and claiming Hans' vote was unanimous 'cause the ACC Sportwriters Association said it was.
    These folks are obviously taking their academic semesters abroad in Cuba,Korea,Syria, Venezuela,and Russia.

Best--Blueprof

Quote Originally Posted by blueprofessor View Post
    Some of the posters are on the attack---blaming the news messengers and claiming Hans' vote was unanimous 'cause the ACC Sportwriters Association said it was.
    These folks are obviously taking their academic semesters abroad in Cuba,Korea,Syria, Venezuela,and Russia.

Best--Blueprof
    105 of 106 is not unanimous, unless you've gone "through the looking glass"

'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone,' it means just what I choose it to mean, neither more nor less.'

Thumbs up Obviously, a man of..

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    105 of 106 is not unanimous, unless you've gone "through the looking glass"

'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone,' it means just what I choose it to mean, neither more nor less.'
    letters!

165/166=166/166: Could be the "new math" has further metamorphosed.

Best--Blueprof

Ok, so this concept/practice of rounding the voting tallies up to be unanimous is a @#$@#*&^ crock of $%#@*&^#$!!!!!!!!!!! It's bad enough that this namsy pamsy PC society of ours coddles the $%#%&*%$ out of little kids by not keeping score in games and giving trophies for 73rd place finishes. Now we hear that we're coddling the egos of 18-22 year old men (or 28 in Hansolo's case) by changing peoples votes so that they can be unanimous all acc selections? Unbelievable!

The worst part is, this Justus guy makes it sound like this is a pretty standard practice.

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    Ok, so this concept/practice of rounding the voting tallies up to be unanimous is a @#$@#*&^ crock of $%#@*&^#$!!!!!!!!!!! It's bad enough that this namsy pamsy PC society of ours coddles the $%#%&*%$ out of little kids by not keeping score in games and giving trophies for 73rd place finishes. Now we hear that we're coddling the egos of 18-22 year old men (or 28 in Hansolo's case) by changing peoples votes so that they can be unanimous all acc selections? Unbelievable!

The worst part is, this Justus guy makes it sound like this is a pretty standard practice.
    Can someone clarify on how many votes one can miss and still qualify to be a unanimous choice? Is it 1 or 2 or 6 or how many? Does it depend on which school you attend? Inquiring minds want to know!

Somewhere out there Julius Hodge is saying, "round up... WTF?" since he finished with a total of 90 out of 91 first place votes in 2004. Somehow Hodge didn't get the helping hand from old John Justus which could have anointed him as "unanimous" back then.

I really don't have a problem if the ACC goes back to a voter and tells him he was the only guy who didn't vote for someone. But where this gets absurd is when they change the vote without that voter's consent. Where it gets even more off the wall is when that voter actually objects to the change and the league allows it to stand.

For Tyler it could be said:

No justus, no 4-time unanimous All ACC selection; know justice, know 4-time All ACC selection.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    The vote count should be a case of "it is what it is". If a player misses by 1 vote or 10 votes, so be it. No changing after the fact. Anything else is, well, just plain wrong. Because as the facts show, the "change" is not applied to all players.

Shame on no "Justus", and shame on the ACC.