Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilCastDownfromDurham View Post
    and that article works just as well in 2006.

Hansbrough is really interesting to me, a Dukie stuck in Tar Heel Nation, because he flips every stereotype. He's white, more hard-working than gifted, praised by the media, relies on officiating for his game to work. In short, he's Wojo with a few more inches. And every Tar Heel I know who hated Wojo, loathed Shane, and screamed bloody murder every time Vitale mentioned J.J. LOVES Tyler. Conversely, every Duke fan who praised Wojo for "getting the most out of his abilities", defended Shane's drawing charges, and loved J.J. HATES Tyler. As such, Hansbrough points out the fact that fans, in general, don't care about hard work, officiating, media attention, or any of the things they scream about. Fans care about winning.
    Perhaps, but it sure seemed to me that Wojo, Shane, and JJ had far more wheels turning inside their heads than Hans9f has; he is closer to a one or two trick pony, and I'll never understand how or why he never got into foul trouble his first two years, when nearly every ACC big freshmen have to sit down due to fouls. Arrgh. At least there are only two more games possible that he'll be visible; hopefully only one more.

2. And viscerally I'm in 100% agreement. That guy stinks, he has no game, and his mother dresses him funny. But from a UNC perspective Shane looked funny (his head), got away with murder in terms of drawing charges, and was too overhyped. That's just how fans (people) are.

The goldfish thing did make me laugh, though. A lot.

I have always thought that he was WAY overrated. It seems like everytime he comes up against legitimate big men...Darrel Arthur, Aldrich, Griffen, he comes out second best. He shoots a suspiciously high amount of Free Throws (great at this by the way) and seems to be a giant hole in defense that Wright, Thompson, etc. have been forced to cover. This is probably some of my I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ie bias coming out. Oh yeah maybe he gets to the line so much because his shooting technique is so ugly it looks like he gets fouled. Im not saying he wasn't good in college, I just dont think he has ever been close to being the best player in college, maybe not even on his own team.

I would rather have lawson, ellington, greene, thompson, and ed davis than hansbrough. I think UNC fans might get a grip next year when Deon, Henson, and Davis (if he doesn't leave) more than fill the scoring gap in the post left by crazy T. I hate losing to Carolina but I really hate losing to Hansbrough! I also think that there are plenty of players in college basketball that try equally as hard and have as much heart.

Honestly, how many people that have been national player of the year can get into early foul trouble, and their team isn't affected at all, IMO they even got better.

There definitely is some venting in this post, but I'm not sure how far from the truth it is.

Quote Originally Posted by MAG0297 View Post
    I have always thought that he was WAY overrated. It seems like everytime he comes up against legitimate big men...Darrel Arthur, Aldrich, Griffen, he comes out second best. He shoots a suspiciously high amount of Free Throws (great at this by the way) and seems to be a giant hole in defense that Wright, Thompson, etc. have been forced to cover. This is probably some of my I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ie bias coming out. Oh yeah maybe he gets to the line so much because his shooting technique is so ugly it looks like he gets fouled. Im not saying he wasn't good in college, I just dont think he has ever been close to being the best player in college, maybe not even on his own team.

I would rather have lawson, ellington, greene, thompson, and ed davis than hansbrough. I think UNC fans might get a grip next year when Deon, Henson, and Davis (if he doesn't leave) more than fill the scoring gap in the post left by crazy T. I hate losing to Carolina but I really hate losing to Hansbrough! I also think that there are plenty of players in college basketball that try equally as hard and have as much heart.

Honestly, how many people that have been national player of the year can get into early foul trouble, and their team isn't affected at all, IMO they even got better.

There definitely is some venting in this post, but I'm not sure how far from the truth it is.
    Really? "It seems like everytime he comes up against legitimate big men...he comes out second best" - you mean like Shelden Williams? Here are his stats against the Landlord -Defensive Player of the year.

Hansbrough 14pts 9rbs 1blk 4to 3stls 2fouls
    Williams 13pts 9rbs 4blk 5to 4stls 4fouls

Hansbrough 27pts 10rbs 2blk 2to 1stl 4fouls
    Williams 18pts 15rbs 6blk 5to 1stl 4fouls

Saying you don't like the way the guy plays is one thing. Saying he is overated as a college player is simply wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by rippy74 View Post
    Really? "It seems like everytime he comes up against legitimate big men...he comes out second best" - you mean like Shelden Williams? Here are his stats against the Landlord -Defensive Player of the year.

Hansbrough 14pts 9rbs 1blk 4to 3stls 2fouls
    Williams 13pts 9rbs 4blk 5to 4stls 4fouls

Hansbrough 27pts 10rbs 2blk 2to 1stl 4fouls
    Williams 18pts 15rbs 6blk 5to 1stl 4fouls

Saying you don't like the way the guy plays is one thing. Saying he is overated as a college player is simply wrong.
    Overrated in the sense that he has never been the best player in the country. I remember those games against Shelden and Hansbrough definitely played well in those, but he had to pull a lot more weight because he didn't have the scorers that Williams had; admittedly I probably expressed a great deal of frustration in my previous post. However I don't think it is wrong to argue that T is a little over glorified and he certaintly wasn't more valuable to UNC last year than Derick Rose was to Memphis; I don't think this can be rationally argued. So overrated in the sense that he hasn't ever been the best in the country and Ty Lawson is way more valuable to the Heels than Hansbrough is; this year has provided evidence of this.

Trying to be as neutral as possible, which is difficult, I would honestly rather have Lawson, Wayne E., Greene, Thompson, and Davis than Hansbrough. Thomspon and Davis are much better defensively and I don't expect there to be much dropoff, if any, in offensive post production for the Heels next year. We shall have to wait and see.