Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by blueprofessor View Post
    http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=527295
    "Best defensive team in country."
    Also, superlatives in Big Easy tourney.

Best regards--Blueprofessor
    Doesn't Decourcey live just across the river in cincinnati?

I'm regularly annoyed with people referring to the 'regular season champions' of whatever conference (yes, Lville is the key example) Regular season doesn't mean anything with the uneven schedule.

AS I look at updated stats from last night/today (kenpom.com and realtimeRPI), Lville has flipped over us from 7 to 6. For what its worth, both ratings have Uconn, UNC, Pitt and Memphis in the top spot (kenpom has Gonzaga up there, too. Which is weird.)

Looking at just RPI, I would expect something like this:

UNC
    Pitt
    Uconn
    Memphis

OU
    Lville
    Duke
    MSU Spartans

Lville could play up, but I think that Duke, OU and MSU are solid 2's. Lville would bump Memphis if it went up.

That's my thoughts. I also recall that the committee already has the top teams slated right now, and are adjusting as games become final today. The ACC championship game is too late for a dramatic change - but the Big East tonight could have the impact of bumping Lville. OR Syracue...could they get as far up as a 2 or 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Exiled_Devil View Post
    I'm regularly annoyed with people referring to blah blah blah
    WHo am I kidding? I just caught 15 seconds of the Big Ten game and instantly rooted against MSU. I just want to see Duke do as well as possible and upsets everywhere else in March.

Quote Originally Posted by dukemsu View Post
    Some credit has to be given for winning the Big 10 by four games.
    I agree with you that Michigan State's resume looks better than Memphis's. But I wouldn't give THAT much credit to winning the Big 10 by four games. The reality is that the Big 10 has one very good team (MSU) one good team (Illinois), and a lot of decent/borderline teams. A #2/3 seed SHOULD win that conference by four games. That's not reason in my mind to argue for a #1 seed.

I think MSU has a similar argument to Duke, but probably a bit weaker case overall. I think Duke (right now) has a weaker case than Louisville. And I think that all three have a stronger case than Oklahoma or Memphis.

Right now, I'd rate it as:
    Pitt/UNC
    UNC/Pitt
    UConn
    Louisville
    Duke
    MSU

Everybody else.

Of course, that's based solely on looking at who you've played and who you've beaten. I have no idea whether the committee will stick firmly to that criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I think MSU has a similar argument to Duke, but probably a bit weaker case overall. I think Duke (right now) has a weaker case than Louisville. And I think that all three have a stronger case than Oklahoma or Memphis.
    I agree. Look at common opponents:

Maryland - Duke +41 (home), Duke +11 (road), ? (today). MSU -18 (neutral). No matter what happens today, huge advantage Duke

UNC - Duke -14 (home), Duke -8 (road). MSU -35 (semi-home). I would argue advantage Duke, although I understand some people disagree that there is "quality" in losses, which is fine.

Michigan - Duke +15 (neutral), Duke -8 (road). MSU +12 (road). Advantage MSU, and how weird is it that we played them twice but a team in their own conference only played them once?

Purdue - Duke +16 (road). MSU -18 (road), MSU +11 (home). Advantage Duke.

I have a hard time seeing how one could look at those two side-by-side and pick MSU. Of course, all this is depending on Duke and MSU winning out, and MSU is already down at half...

Maybe they should just give out 8 or 9 two seeds. Seth Davis just said UNC should still get the number one seed because Lawson stubbed his toe.

Question

If the committee gives out number one seeds to three teams that bowed out relatively early in their respective conference tournaments (UNC, UConn, Pitt) and snubs Duke (if they win the ACC Tournament), then why in the crap should we even have conference tournaments?

Quote Originally Posted by dukemsu View Post
    Not to go on a Sparty rant, but this is short-sighted analysis. The Big Ten is far superior to CUSA. And if you are talking about bad losses, there is no more hideous loss by any of the #1 seeds that Louisville face-planting against Notre Dame, who will not even make the tourney.

The anti-Big Ten stuff has gotten so over the top I have started an Big 10 Hatred Tsunami thread on a State board. I am not saying State is 1 seed good, I am not sure they are. But their overall body of work is far superior to that of Memphis. Some credit has to be given for winning the Big 10 by four games.

dukemsu
    You are right about the Louisville loss to ND, I forgot about that one...

You are also right that MSU has a much better resume than Memphis...

I just think Louisville has been more impressive playing tougher competition in the Big East...

While MSU has shown they are the best team in Big 10, but has had some pretty pathetic showings against non-Big 10 teams...

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    If the committee gives out number one seeds to three teams that bowed out relatively early in their respective conference tournaments (UNC, UConn, Pitt) and snubs Duke (if they win the ACC Tournament), then why in the crap should we even have conference tournaments?
    The committee is going to be making some kind of unlikable statement with their top seeds, no matter who they choose.

Examples, in overall seeding order.

Memphis, Pitt, UNC, UConn: we'll reward you for dominating a lesser conference.

UNC, Pitt, UConn, Memphis: we're ignoring the past week.

Louisville, Memphis, Duke, UNC: we're ignoring the regular season.

I don't really know what they'll do, now that UNC, Pitt, UConn, Oklahoma, and Michigan State have lost. Only Memphis has gotten the job done; Louisville and Duke still have work to do.

Also, I'm hoping that UNC isn't given the overall top seed; I really don't want to be forced to select them in my all-chalk comparison bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    The committee is going to be making some kind of unlikable statement with their top seeds, no matter who they choose.

Examples, in overall seeding order.

Memphis, Pitt, UNC, UConn: we'll reward you for dominating a lesser conference.

UNC, Pitt, UConn, Memphis: we're ignoring the past week.

Louisville, Memphis, Duke, UNC: we're ignoring the regular season.

I don't really know what they'll do, now that UNC, Pitt, UConn, Oklahoma, and Michigan State have lost. Only Memphis has gotten the job done; Louisville and Duke still have work to do.

Also, I'm hoping that UNC isn't given the overall top seed; I really don't want to be forced to select them in my all-chalk comparison bracket.
    You forgot:

UNC, Pitt, UConn, Louisville: Conference tournaments are only useful for determining automatic bids.

I think conference championships should matter more than the regular season. I would not mind a system where you have to win your conference tournament to get a #1 seed. These conference tournaments should not be after-thoughts...the ante should be upped a bit and teams called out for losing early rather than excused.

Louisville schedule

their best non-conference wins are over kentucky, ole miss, and minnesota.

they only played u conn, pitt, marquette, and syracuse once each, with the first three of those being at home.

there's a reason we're several spots ahead of them in the rpi.

Now we have beaten Maryland in the Semis. If we beat Florida state tomorrow, could we be #1?

Joe lunardi was just on ESPN News and the other anchor asked him about Duke being a number one seed. Lunardi replied that Duke's hopes of being a number one seed went by the wayside when UNC lost to FSU. He said that Duke needed to play and beat UNC on a neutral floor in order to make it's case for a number one seed. He said that as of now Duke will be a 2 seed and play it's first two rounds in Greensboro along with UNC.

OU lost, MSU lost, Wake lost, Memphis is in the running but I don't think they should get it without having beaten any top teams, but if Louisville wins out I think they have it clenched.

If Louisville loses to Syracuse and Duke impresses against FSU, then perhaps we have a chance.

Conference Tourneys

Quote Originally Posted by dbd4ever View Post
    Joe lunardi was just on ESPN News and the other anchor asked him about Duke being a number one seed. Lunardi replied that Duke's hopes of being a number one seed went by the wayside when UNC lost to FSU. He said that Duke needed to play and beat UNC on a neutral floor in order to make it's case for a number one seed. He said that as of now Duke will be a 2 seed and play it's first two rounds in Greensboro along with UNC.
    The conference tourneys have gone from meaning everything to now meaning nothing. With unbalanced regular seasons schedules, teams can lose their first game in their conference tourneys and still maintain their number 1 seed. So who now finishes the regular season number 1? If Louisville wins- probably they do- but if they lose- then it has to be Memphis. And then they end the year number 1 and still don't get a number 1 seed because of the regular season. Duke is now two in the RPI and can only be a number 2 seed regardless of whether they win the supposed ACC championship. Very, very strange year.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    The conference tourneys have gone from meaning everything to now meaning nothing. With unbalanced regular seasons schedules, teams can lose their first game in their conference tourneys and still maintain their number 1 seed. So who now finishes the regular season number 1? If Louisville wins- probably they do- but if they lose- then it has to be Memphis. And then they end the year number 1 and still don't get a number 1 seed because of the regular season. Duke is now two in the RPI and can only be a number 2 seed regardless of whether they win the supposed ACC championship. Very, very strange year.
    Actually it makes basketball, as far as selection for tourney seeding, much like the BCS. All opinion.

High number 2 better than low number 1?

I think that Duke, if (IF) they win the ACC Championship,with their great computer numbers, deserves a number 1 seed. However, I also sure wouldn't mind a scenario in which Memphis got a number 1 and Duke was the number 2 in their bracket. Would feel a lot better than a situation where Duke was a 1 with someone like UCONN, Pitt, or Louisville as their number 2.

Bilas

Bilas just said he thought three Big East teams should be #1's. He said Duke should be a #2 "at best." Then he complimented what it takes to run the gauntlet in the ACC, but said the Big East is still better.

I guess I tend to agree about the Big East getting three #1's. Makes more sense than Memphis and Duke is a step below the top 2-3 teams, evidenced by two losses to Unc.

But if we get hit in two weeks....watch out. I think this is a distinct possbility with our talent and guts.

"at best" is ridiculous. "at worst" is a lot more like it. There's no way Duke gets a #3, there is a chance we get a #1. I think at this point UNC and Louisville are locks (assuming they win this game, which they seem to have well in hand).

So 2 #1s between Memphis, Duke, Pitt and UConn. Possible that Memphis gets it, but seems likely that their weak schedule will keep them as a #2. So it comes down to Duke, UConn and Pitt. We have actually have more wins over NCAA teams than either of them. By my count we have 10 already (possibly 11 w/ a win tomorrow) and UConn has 7 (8 if Wisconsin makes it, but they probably won't). Pitt has 8. We also have not lost to a non-NCAA team (while both of them have). Not saying we should get a #1, but we might get one. Depends how much emphasis they put on the conference tournaments.