PLAYER OF THE YEAR
    Ty Lawson, North Carolina (31)
    Toney Douglas, Florida State (27)
    Tyler Hansbrough, North Carolina (13)
    Gerald Henderson, Duke (2)
    Jeff Teague, Wake Forest (2)
    Jack McClinton, Miami (1)

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskb...031009aag.html

Not all that surprising. Thought G would have gotten a few more votes but it looks like the decision may have come down to Sunday's game and Lawson clearly won it for Carolina while G didn't have what it takes...

Maybe next year

2. I think Lawson was the right call for POY. He's the best player on the best team and one of the 2-3 best players in the conference. I do think Douglas was clearly the ACC MVP this season. G was inconsistent (at best) early on and wasn't the game-changer that Lawson was late.

Not too surprising, and not a terrible choice, but I thought Toney Douglas would be a better choice.

Lawson has some very impressive numbers and performances, but he's not a great defender. Some opposing guards have scored in bunches on him.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Fine by me. I think however that it's interesting that the national media don't look at him for the NPOY, but instead have Hansbrough in front of him. Some don't even have Lawson on their list anymore (they did earlier in the year).
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Given that Lawson played his entire career with only the bloody stump of an amputated leg I think he deserves the award.

"What is that you say - he didn't have an amputated leg for his entire career? It was only a sore toe? For only one game? "
    Last edited by allenmurray; 03-10-2009 at 02:06 PM.

There were three guys who stood out over the course of the ACC season: Toney Douglas, Ty Lawson, and Henderson. Henderson had a fantastic middle of the ACC season, but tailed off in the last few games. Douglass I think was hurt by the fact that he played for a team with no talent around him. Ultimately, I think Lawson won it with his dominance in the two Duke games.

The voters got it roughly right. I'd have chosen between Douglas and Lawson, and the vote was pretty close between the two. I would have put Henderson ahead of Hansbrough, but the voters were probably swayed by Hansbrough's gaudy totals and career performance. If he'd won it, that would have been a crock.

I think you have to add Jeff Teague to that list of players that stood out. Very much like Henderson, in that, he got off to a torrid start in ACC play but had trouble continuing that pace because opponents would change their entire defense to shut down Teague. I think the lack of consistency through the entire season makes it so he was a darkhorse candidate for player of the year. But when Teague was hot, there was no one better in the ACC

Thumbs up Douglas,Douglas,Douglas...

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Not too surprising, and not a terrible choice, but I thought Toney Douglas would be a better choice.

Lawson has some very impressive numbers and performances, but he's not a great defender. Some opposing guards have scored in bunches on him.
    Douglas was great on O and great on D. I expect him to win DPOY and Hamilton to receive ACC COY.
    I thought Douglas was much more deserving than a guy that was surrounded with NBA draft choices and who played a lot of "matador D".
    I also pull for the "little guy schools" that do not have the talent UNC has.
    I had predicted that Lawson and Hanstravel would split the vote (especially,the yellow(baby blue) journalists), thereby opening the way for a Douglas POY. It almost happened.
    Like CDu, I think Hendo should have been ahead of Hanstravel.
    Best--Blueprof

Quote Originally Posted by DukiesPA View Post
    Final results:

PLAYER OF THE YEAR
    Ty Lawson, North Carolina (31)
    Toney Douglas, Florida State (27)
    Tyler Hansbrough, North Carolina (13)
    Gerald Henderson, Duke (2)
    Jeff Teague, Wake Forest (2)
    Jack McClinton, Miami (1)

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskb...031009aag.html

Not all that surprising. Thought G would have gotten a few more votes but it looks like the decision may have come down to Sunday's game and Lawson clearly won it for Carolina while G didn't have what it takes...

Maybe next year
    I think that's highway robbery. Douglas should have won this thing.

36.0 mpg, 20.8 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 3.0 apg, 1.26 a/t, 2 spg, 42.8% FG, 81.1% FT, 37.4% 3PG, 1.38 PPS

vs.

29.4 mpg, 15.9 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 6.5 apg, 3.32 a/t, 2 spg, 53.8% FG, 80% FT, 46.7% 3PG, 1.67 PPS

I would argue that the stat lines are pretty similar. Douglas has fewer assists (obviously) and his shooting % are lower because he took more contested jumpers that Ty... which is a direct result of what I consider to be Ty's biggest advantage, and that is the level of talent around him. Not to mention the fact that Douglas is a exponentially better defensive player than Lawson.

No. Sorry. Douglas got screwed.

Dont forget

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    Given that Lawson played his entire career with only the bloody stump of an amputated leg I think he deserves the award.

"What is that you say - he didn't have an amputated leg for his entire career? It was only a sore toe? For only one game? "
    Dont forget he also fought a case of TB when they played Miami!

Not too surprising, and a fairly good choice, though I do agree with those that have said Douglas is more deserving. His numbers are better, and take him off FSU and they are garbage. Take Lawson off UNC and they are still a tournament-bound team with three All-ACC guys. Douglas was better on both offense and defense, but alas, plays for FSU, and overcoming a hyped UNC player is near impossible. I don't remember off hand, but I wonder how often the POY gets less than half of the votes? I know that is a testiment to the quality of the league and the players in it.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post

Well, maybe more than one now, according to Roy.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...v=ap&type=lgns

13. Even on "nine toes" he's the man!

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    I think that's highway robbery. Douglas should have won this thing.

36.0 mpg, 20.8 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 3.0 apg, 1.26 a/t, 2 spg, 42.8% FG, 81.1% FT, 37.4% 3PG, 1.38 PPS

vs.

29.4 mpg, 15.9 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 6.5 apg, 3.32 a/t, 2 spg, 53.8% FG, 80% FT, 46.7% 3PG, 1.67 PPS

I would argue that the stat lines are pretty similar. Douglas has fewer assists (obviously) and his shooting % are lower because he took more contested jumpers that Ty... which is a direct result of what I consider to be Ty's biggest advantage, and that is the level of talent around him. Not to mention the fact that Douglas is a exponentially better defensive player than Lawson.

No. Sorry. Douglas got screwed.
    If you're the kind of person who doesn't mind advanced stats, check out the Ken Pomeroy numbers on offensive efficiency.

Lawson is #1 in the country. That's the entire NCAA Division 1, not just the conference. The next ACC player is Hansbrough at 19. Lawson, Hansbrough, Cole Aldrich and DeJuan Blair are the only players in the top 25 whose names I recognized.

If you prefer the more traditional stats, take a look at assist/turnover ratio in the conference. He's so far ahead of the other guards in the ACC that it looks like a mistake.

Lawson is a deserving player of the year. I actually think he's a legitimate national player of the year candidate. Douglas is a deserving #2. I think they got this one exactly right. Hopefully Hamilton will get coach of the year to properly honor what Florida State accomplished this season.

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    Well, maybe more than one now, according to Roy.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...v=ap&type=lgns
    Perhaps an angle for the all-tournament team? Seriously what is more likely to happen - Lawson sits out the ACC tournament opener or Roy refrains from referring to himself in the 3rd person in his next press conference?

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    If you're the kind of person who doesn't mind advanced stats, check out the Ken Pomeroy numbers on offensive efficiency.

Lawson is #1 in the country. That's the entire NCAA Division 1, not just the conference. The next ACC player is Hansbrough at 19. Lawson, Hansbrough, Cole Aldrich and DeJuan Blair are the only players in the top 25 whose names I recognized.

If you prefer the more traditional stats, take a look at assist/turnover ratio in the conference. He's so far ahead of the other guards in the ACC that it looks like a mistake.

Lawson is a deserving player of the year. I actually think he's a legitimate national player of the year candidate. Douglas is a deserving #2. I think they got this one exactly right. Hopefully Hamilton will get coach of the year to properly honor what Florida State accomplished this season.
    You are simply cherry-picking the stats were Lawson is ahead. The same could be done in the areas where Douglas is ahead. Ultimately though, those were the two guys who should have been at the top, and it could have gone either way with good arguments by either side. As I said earlier, I think the biggest factor, as sad as it might be, is one plays for UNC and the other for FSU.
    As far as the NPOY candidate, it is Griffin, and then a bunch of other guys about one mile behind.

Quote Originally Posted by JDev View Post
    Not too surprising, and a fairly good choice, though I do agree with those that have said Douglas is more deserving. His numbers are better, and take him off FSU and they are garbage. Take Lawson off UNC and they are still a tournament-bound team with three All-ACC guys. Douglas was better on both offense and defense, but alas, plays for FSU, and overcoming a hyped UNC player is near impossible. I don't remember off hand, but I wonder how often the POY gets less than half of the votes? I know that is a testiment to the quality of the league and the players in it.
    No way Douglas is better on offense. 42% FG is really low. Ty Lawson shot 53.8% and 46% from 3, not to mention his top 10 IN THE COUNTRY assist numbers. Lawson is the best offensive player in the ACC this year... he is what makes UNC great. The real question is whether his offense by itself puts him ahead of Douglas... because we all know Lawson got thrashed over and over again by opposing PGs.

Douglas would have been a better choice. I'm just really glad it didn't go to HansCheater, that would have really been awful. I think some folks on this board give Lawson too much credit because he played well against Duke. We don't match up well against TL because we don't make him guard anyone who's going to take him to the hole and score on him over and over like BC and UMD do.

I hear Roy is saying that is injured toe has caused massive amounts of swelling in both legs!

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    No way Douglas is better on offense. 42% FG is really low. Ty Lawson shot 53.8% and 46% from 3, not to mention his top 10 IN THE COUNTRY assist numbers. Lawson is the best offensive player in the ACC this year... he is what makes UNC great. The real question is whether his offense by itself puts him ahead of Douglas... because we all know Lawson got thrashed over and over again by opposing PGs.
    I don't think it is as cut-and-dry as that. Looking at it very simply, Douglas was more heavily guarded, yet scored more points. He had far less talent around him, and when he is off, forget about FSU. UNC won several games this year where Lawson was in single digits. I think either player has a good argument about offensive superiority.
    In addition, I would hope the award isn't simply an offensive award. I think that Douglas was better than Lawson on defense more than Lawson was better than Douglas on offense, if that bit of jibberish makes any sense.

Like I said earlier: either way these were the two guys it probably should have come down to.

Ok I don't know where else to put this, but for the love of God, here we go again:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3967823

I guess he will sit out until the finals when he will finally come back and save the heels again?