(5) Clemson vs. (12) Georgia Tech

Winner gets (4) Florida State

7pm game:

(7) Maryland vs. (10) NC State

Winner gets (2) Wake Forest

9pm game:

(6) Boston College vs. (11) Virginia

Winner gets (3) Duke

Really good Thursday games. Maryland/NC State will be particularly entertaining, I think. Potential for some great matchups on Friday, but I think it's safe to say UNC has an ideal road to the championship game. All the teams they lost to are on the other side of the bracket (Maryland, Boston College, Wake Forest).

I like our side of the bracket. When playing back-to-back games, having smart and veteran players is an important edge and for that reason I like our chances against Wake if we face each other.

I can see Florida State being a tough, tough out and giving UNC fits (if FSU manages to beat Clemson for the third time this season).

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    Wake is locking up the #2 seed as we speak, so the lineup will be:

Noon game:

(8) Virginia Tech vs. (9)Miami

Winner gets (1) UNC.

2pm game:

(5) Clemson vs. (12) Georgia Tech

Winner gets (4) Florida State

7pm game:

(7) Maryland vs. (10) NC State

Winner gets (2) Wake Forest

9pm game:

(6) Boston College vs. (11) Virginia

Winner gets (3) Duke

Really good Thursday games. Maryland/NC State will be particularly entertaining, I think. Potential for some great matchups on Friday, but I think it's safe to say UNC has a decent road to the championship game. All the games they lost to are on the other side of the bracket.
    You kidding me? A decent road? You must have been thinking about another conference with that statement. Besides, usually a team that finished 1st gets the type of seeding that is more preferential. That's kind of how it works.

Really exciting Thursday noon game. If the ACC is getting 8 teams I think that will obviously be the play-in game. Both teams probably have to do more then just that though.

Other thoughts: Maryland should beat NC St., but these teams had a great match-up last Sunday at the RBC. I think Florida State is better then Clemson, and with Clemson having had to play tonight at Wake and then again Thursday before they even reach Friday is a big edge to Florida State.

Duke and Wake would be a heck of a semi-final if it comes to that, which I anticipate. The teams would get to settle a 1-1 season split in a neutral site. Winner of that is assured to be no lower then a 2 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

And...: I think everyone knows we could be less then a week away from part 3. I think it is really important Duke finds ways to lengthen the bench, specifically on Friday night and attempt to stay fresh. It would be tremendous to get another shot at them. It is also big to beat Wake because a loss to them basically assures a trip that won't be to Greensboro.

The only teams that beat us on our side are BC and Wake. Wake has talent but they are inconsistent away from LJVM, BC was a fluke, they will not sneak up on us again. Thats not to say that the other teams can't beat us, I think BC proved if we play poorly, we can lose to anyone.

Even though UNC didn't lose to any team on their side, their wins against FSU and Miami were really close, and VT kept it competitive last week with the heels until about the last 2 or so minutes when they pulled away. And you know Clemson would love more than anything to beat UNC, something they haven't done in forever. I think UNC has the tougher road, and honestly, depending on how fresh their guys are, I think they tank the semi's. Right now the ACC is small time to them, they won it last year and the care only about winning an NC this year. I see the holes getting upset on Saturday. For us, who the heck knows...

UNC

Roy Williams is not a huge ACC tourney fan by any means and only focuses on it when it affects their NCAA seed. UNC probably already has a #1 seed locked up so I could see UNC resting players (esp Lawson), getting lots of time for Zeller, Davis and Drew, and getting upset. Really don't see UNC winning the ACC tourney this year

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    You kidding me? A decent road? You must have been thinking about another conference with that statement. Besides, usually a team that finished 1st gets the type of seeding that is more preferential. That's kind of how it works.
    Speaking in relative terms, yes, UNC has a favorable draw in the tournament. They are 5-0 against the top of the bracket. Florida State will be a tough out, but I think it's not as tough a matchup as their Saturday game could have been had one or two games turned out differently.

And of course they deserve it, I have no problem with that.
    Last edited by feldspar; 03-08-2009 at 08:53 PM.

Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron
    In listening to the Duke Radio broadcast, they mentioned after the game was over, that Roy and the team cut down the nets to celebrate the Regular Season Championship.
    I'm wondering if that will insure some bad karma down the road?

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    I didn't see anything in his post implying that UNC gets unfairly preferential treatment. He only stated his opinion and backed it up with his explanation. I don't actually agree with it, but he's got a point. calm down.

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post
    The only teams that beat us on our side are BC and Wake. Wake has talent but they are inconsistent away from LJVM, BC was a fluke, they will not sneak up on us again. Thats not to say that the other teams can't beat us, I think BC proved if we play poorly, we can lose to anyone.

Even though UNC didn't lose to any team on their side, their wins against FSU and Miami were really close, and VT kept it competitive last week with the heels until about the last 2 or so minutes when they pulled away. And you know Clemson would love more than anything to beat UNC, something they haven't done in forever. I think UNC has the tougher road, and honestly, depending on how fresh their guys are, I think they tank the semi's. Right now the ACC is small time to them, they won it last year and the care only about winning an NC this year. I see the holes getting upset on Saturday. For us, who the heck knows...
    I think lost in all the press about Duke's turnaround is Wake's turnaround. Wake, after an equally miserable stretch, has been on a roll after the loss at Cameron.

Here's an interesting observation. Last year, after we lost @ Wake, both teams went into tanking. This year, same thing. But after we win @ Cameron, both teams seem to be playing a lot better. I, for one, am a little worried about the wake game.

Whoever goes further between Wake/Duke will have a great chance of getting the 2 seed in Greensboro.

Quote Originally Posted by wisteria View Post
    I think lost in all the press about Duke's turnaround is Wake's turnaround. Wake, after an equally miserable stretch, has been on a roll after the loss at Cameron.

Here's an interesting observation. Last year, after we lost @ Wake, both teams went into tanking. This year, same thing. But after we win @ Cameron, both teams seem to be playing a lot better. I, for one, am a little worried about the wake game.
    Don't speak so soon. I think Maryland has a decent chance of beating Wake. That's going to be a fun game to watch if Maryland can get their butts in gear (which Gary usually is good at doing for the ACCT) and get past NCSU.

Quote Originally Posted by JStuart View Post
    In listening to the Duke Radio broadcast, they mentioned after the game was over, that Roy and the team cut down the nets to celebrate the Regular Season Championship.
    I'm wondering if that will insure some bad karma down the road?
    They did the same thing in 2005, 2007 and 2008. So I guess not.

I think Wake has a higher ceiling than Duke, which worries me. Combined with the fact they could snatch our 2 seed from us, that game will be just as important as today's.

Don't speak so soon. I think Maryland has a decent chance of beating Wake. That's going to be a fun game to watch if Maryland can get their butts in gear (which Gary usually is good at doing for the ACCT) and get past NCSU.
    Not lately. Maryland has one ACC tournament win since 2004. Maryland is cooked; I would be very surprised if they beat NCSU.

I think Maryland is a good team, but they will have a let down in the tournament. State is playing well right now, and will bet them.

I think it will end up being UNC vs. VT, FSU vs. Clemson, Wake vs. NCSU, and Duke vs. BC.

Then UNC will top Clemson and Wake will top Duke in the semis.

And like it or not, UNC will beat Wake for the ACC title

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpackdevil View Post
    I think Maryland is a good team, but they will have a let down in the tournament. State is playing well right now, and will bet them.

I think it will end up being UNC vs. VT, FSU vs. Clemson, Wake vs. NCSU, and Duke vs. BC.

Then UNC will top Clemson and Wake will top Duke in the semis.

And like it or not, UNC will beat Wake for the ACC title

BC has been rather disappointing lately, while UVA is playing better down the stretch. I won't be surprised if UVA knocks BC out.

And I think FSU tops Clemson. Clemson has not been very good lately.

BC on Friday?

I, for one, would relish another match up vs. BC. I thought our loss to them was the low point of the season and also its turing point with EWill entering the starting lineup following that game. I think our chances of containing Rice would be much better in a rematch with EWill defending him.

Quote Originally Posted by wisteria View Post
    I didn't see anything in his post implying that UNC gets unfairly preferential treatment. He only stated his opinion and backed it up with his explanation. I don't actually agree with it, but he's got a point. calm down.
    I'm calm dude - it's called questioning and discussion. Did I type in all caps? My point was about the 'ideal road' comment. There is none if you've been watching this season and it is clear the original poster does in fact understand that.

Quote Originally Posted by HDB View Post
    I, for one, would relish another match up vs. BC. I thought our loss to them was the low point of the season and also its turing point with EWill entering the starting lineup following that game. I think our chances of containing Rice would be much better in a rematch with EWill defending him.
    I agree with that. Duke would have the extra mental edge of avenging a loss, and Duke is better now than they were then. EWill would be essential in slowing Rice, and Duke is better than BC at every other position.