Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bossesjoe View Post
    Awesome picture...very cool

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bossesjoe View Post
    Wonderful picture. I hope you send it to Nolan. I am sure it would be appreciated.

I saw the piece today about 3 at the gym, very emotional. Losing your father at such a young age is terrible. For me, its scary seeing that Derek Smith died at 34, the same age as me with a freak heart attack.
    I've always wanted Nolan to succeed despite some setbacks this year, but you know he has the talent and ability. Now I can't see anyone not pulling for the kid to not be just one of the best Duke players he can be, but the best person he can be.

This looks a little like Johnny D, don't you think?
    The Chi Master

I too got very emotional reading this piece. It's just hard not to root for Nolan and after some of the adversity he's had this season alone, I hope that he bounces back with a vengeance.

Another interesting part of the article though is in the comments. I scrolled through them and I can't tell you how many people wrote something that basically said, "I hate duke, but I'll root for Nolan Smith." After years of stories about how we're the most "hated" team in America, it really is refreshing to see a national piece that shows the human side to our players. There are some great people associated with this program and I for one am happy that some of the Duke-Hating world finally gets a chance to see that.

Helps to understand why Juwan Howard was at the game on Sunday...

Wow. My new favorite number is 2.

I just finished. I had to stop reading a couple of times to fight back the tears. Nolan didn't have his dad around for long but during the time he did his father packed a lifetime of fathering into it. Derek sounds like he was a great man. I hope Nolan understands that Derek is there, every time.

Wow. So I had seen the piece on Sportscenter Sunday but just got around to reading the OTL article. Simply amazing story. I definitely shed a few tears.

Wonderful story. Nolan was very lucky to have such a great dad. It's terribly sad that he only had him for 8 years.

I do like all the comments saying "even if I still hate Duke, I have to like Nolan after reading this."

Get better, Nolan. We need you!

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Very moving and touching story. Sign me up a lifetime membership in the Nolan Smith fan club. He has faced so much in his young life, and that has prepared him for just about anything the future brings.

Let's hope he can return to health and become a force on the court. No one deserves success more than Nolan.

So Nolan, Dude we love you, and we all are pulling for you!

Go to work!

Class Act - Derek

I have always liked the way Nolan Smith plays, the heart that he shows when he goes out there and the passion he plays with.

Reading this article made me love him even more. The support system that he has is unbelievable, he will do amazing things with the memory of his father always in his heart.

Go to work!

INCREDIBLE espn.com story about Nolan

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=nolan

This is a must-read. It talks a lot about how Derek Smith, Nolan's father, and the influence he still has on Nolan even though he tragically passed away when Nolan was 8 years old. It's a wonderfully in-depth story, and is deeply emotional as well.

Quote Originally Posted by arydolphin View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=nolan

This is a must-read. It talks a lot about how Derek Smith, Nolan's father, and the influence he still has on Nolan even though he tragically passed away when Nolan was 8 years old. It's a wonderfully in-depth story, and is deeply emotional as well.
    Great story. Coach K made reference to this in his press conference after the game, as he talked about Nolan's contributions.

Great article!!!

Nolan

It is easy to forget that these players have issues outside of basketball that weigh on them every day and affect how they play on the court. Also when they go through a bad stretch- who do they talk to- who helps get them focused again. We think it is just the coaches- but the parents play a very big role as well. For Nolan- the person he needs for basketball is no longer there in his life- his father. Nolan had his sophomore slump and then the concussion. Many on this board wondered if he had what it took to play at this level. The young man pulled himself out and is playing with the fire again. Nolan is dealing with a lot and has been for a long time. His recent play has been critical in the last week and has given the team a huge lift. Lets never forget that these are young men who are still developing in all areas on their lives. When things are going bad- sometimes there is much more going on than we know.

Great, moving stuff. Nolan deserves all the admiration and respect he gets. We're lucky to have him at Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by dukestheheat View Post
    When Nolan says he goes back to his dorm room and cries, that strikes a familiar memory; I, too, lost my dad when I was pretty young and I know that road he's on.

And, I've really missed him on the court lately. As the UNofficial and totally UNrecognized President of the DBR NOLAN SMITH fan club, I can say:

GET BACK SOON NOLAN, WE LOVE YOU AND WE NEED YOU ACTIVE ON THE TEAM!

Let's do this.

dukestheheat.
    Tremendous piece !!! Did I miss something, " Get Back Nolan "..Is he hurt ?

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Duke Fan View Post
    Tremendous piece !!! Did I miss something, " Get Back Nolan "..Is he hurt ?
    That particular post was made March 9, before the start of the ACC Tournament.

Nolan has come back and he's playing great! Go, Nolan.

Smile Nice piece

What a fine young man.

I was also moved by his dad's fellow teammates who clearly made a difference in Nolan's life.

Got to love the clips of his dad and him at the end.