Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    20 point lead again. We rock!
    You can tell it's over for all practical purposes--all the UNC fans who stuck around to cheer against Duke have now left the building.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Excellent win. They withstood a vicous FSU comeback started by some dagger threes in the beginning of the second half (and some sloppy play on our part). It was very important for this team to prove to themselves that not only can they withstand a comeback, but get the original lead back up. Great game by the women, 4 players in double figures, and Abby had 9, with 3/4 shooting from past the arc. Facing Maryland in the finals now, LGD!!!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Second half

The second half obviously didn't start out well, but fortunately Duke righted the ship fairly quickly. After some of the second-half problems of late, it was good to see the team react quickly. It was also good to see starters resting for the second game in a row since tomorrow's game will be a tough one.

Don't forget to change your watch.

Shooting

Once again the three point shooting (7/12=58.3%) was better than the two point shooting (22/44=50%), which is a pleasant surprise for a team that came in ranked #185 out of 251 teams in three-point percentage. Duke also had almost as many assists as turnovers (14 & 15), which again is good for a team ranked 193 out of 328 in assists to turnovers with .68 (that's 394 assists compared to 577 turnovers, although I have no idea why 251 teams are ranked for three pointers and 328 for everything else).

Other good numbers include points in the paint, where Duke had a 38-14 advantage, and points off turnovers (22-11). FSU's largest lead was by one point at the 19:19 mark of the first half.

The box score also indicates that Duke won on bench points 75-57, which suggests that no one started for either team, which must be a first.

The only negative static is Duke's FG defense by half, with an incredible 24.1% in the first half and 43.3% in the second, although the overall figure of 33.9% is quite impressive. FSU only had two threes in the first half, but 5 in the second, which I am sure will be a point of emphasis against Maryland.

Seeing the ACC Women's finals in the NY area

Am I correct in determining that I will not be able to see the finals tomorrow here in the NYC area. It appears that although most Faux sports channels will cover the ACC women, what we get here is the the NEC mens game .

Any suggestions?

JIm

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    The box score also indicates that Duke won on bench points 75-57, which suggests that no one started for either team, which must be a first.
    LOLOL!! That's about the most hilarious thing I've seen all day, aside from the Carolina airball with less than a minute left. ;-)

My thoughts on the game have pretty much all been said by now, the shooting is going amazingly, the defense is good as always, and all of the players are clicking just right. The turnovers have been mercifully low for us these last two games, which has made the game much more viewable.

Even though they are getting the rebounds they need when they need them, they aren't dominating as much as we've seen them do at times. Possibly that's because of the high shooting percentage, but I'd be hesitant to attribute it to that entirely.

Chante has been good these past two games, but it's been a tale of two halves in both games. Abby has been shooting lights out in the tourney so far, let's hope it sticks with her for seven or so more games. Karima has ben asserting herself very well with positive results, Bridgette is making the plays that we need her to make, and Joy is playing above her output for the rest of this season. Carrem has impressed me later in the season, and this game was no exception. Really, the whole team feels like it's elevated itself to another level, so let's hope it continues tomorrow! I'll be there, cheering as always! :-)

While the first game of the day was officiated pretty well, our game was questionable, as they refused to call FSU's player Bravard for clearing out with the elbow and forearm, despite repeated instances being pointed out to them. It wasn't as bad as the officiating in the WFU-UMd game (which Wake Forest would have had more than a reasonable shot of winning had they called the contact of Maryland; not that I care, because UMd beat the Holes for us), but it still seemed somewhat off to me.

Thumbs up Great win!

Watched the whole game on Fox. (Who was the woman color commentator? She seemed to be actively pulling for FSU, and was disappointed at the end...)

Great game for the Duke women. FSU really was shooting lights-out at the start of the second half. Our D let down some, but you know you're hot when your center steps back above the top of the key and drains nothing but net (her foot was on the line, so only counted for 2)... they were something like 6 of 7 to start the half, and they weren't all chippies. Duke seemed clearly the better team. And they showed their mettle once it got below a 10-point-margin.

Should be a good game vs MD tomorrow. At least the Kerlina fans won't be around to boo Duke lustily. Any chance of a #1 seed if we win the Tourney? (In any event, we should have one of the better #2 seeds at least.)

Go Duke!

-BDBD

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    Any chance of a #1 seed if we win the Tourney? (In any event, we should have one of the better #2 seeds at least.)
    IMO the ACC is THE strongest conference this year without question. Whoever wins tomorrow gets a 1 seed. The announcer was thinking we'd be a three, maybe a two. She's on drugs, with our SOS and wins, there is no way even losing tomorrow that we aren't a 2. If we win, and don't get a one, that's a crime, but I'd be ok with it as long as we don't have UCONN.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    Watched the whole game on Fox. (Who was the woman color commentator? She seemed to be actively pulling for FSU, and was disappointed at the end...)
    Debbie Antonelli. A vet of Kay Yow's Wolfpack.