Diane's Senior Season

The Post article on Diane of Virginia linked by DBR is upsetting. We obviously don't know all the particulars but Leito cetainly doesn't get high marks for how he has apparently treated Diane and his dad during Diane's senior season. Diane went to high school near College Park and was recruited by Maryland. DBR failed to note the following statement in the story about Gary Williams which seems to be out of character for the coach from the dark side:

"Opposing coaches, players and former teammates have shown their support for him. Diane said Maryland Coach Gary Williams, who recruited him out of DeMatha, pulled him aside after a game earlier this season with good words and an offer to help when Mamadi's career concludes."

I always like to see players like Aminu of Georgia Tech and Neal of Maryland make nice contributions during their senior years after sitting on the bench for most of their careers. This is the end of their playing careers for many youngsters and it is a nice payback for all their efforts. I always admired Dean Smith for bringing along players and letting them play serious minutes or at least start during their senior years. Some like Mike Pepper made nice contributions during their senior seasons.

gw67

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I couldn't find the link you are talking about, can you post it here? Thanks.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Diane, Sweaty...

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I couldn't find the link you are talking about, can you post it here? Thanks.
    Here’s the link on Mamadi Diane:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...030603170.html

It seems that the Washington Post is going out of its way to be nice to Gary this week. Of course, having Greivis Vasquez as a character witness seems a bit strange:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...030603154.html

Good for him

Mamadi Diane scored 23 points in Virginia's 68-63 upset of Maryland, including the winning three pointer, and was carried off by his teammates.

Here's a good article on his senior moment:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...030702085.html