Congrats to Abby

"Duke University senior Abby Waner has been chosen to receive the Women's Basketball Coaches Association's (WBCA) Robin Roberts/WBCA Broadcasting Scholarship Award, which was released on the WBCA on Thursday afternoon.

The Robin Roberts/WBCA Broadcasting Scholarship Award is presented annually to one female collegiate basketball player who intends to pursue graduate work and a career in sports communications/journalism. As part of the scholarship, $500 is provided by Robin Roberts for travel to/from the WBCA National Convention for the recipient, while $4,000 goes directly to the institution for the student's tuition.

"Abby has decided to pursue a career in the sports communications/journalism field and we would like to thank her for that and award her with the Robin Roberts/WBCA Broadcasting Scholarship," WBCA CEO Beth Bass said. "We look forward to working with you in the future."

Move over Erin, here comes Abby!

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Move over Erin, here comes Abby!
    Abby Waner embarking on a career in sports broadcast journalism makes the world a better place!

Congratulations Abby!! I've enjoyed her reports on Coach Cut's show and so excited she is going to pursue a career in broadcast journalism. I just know she will be great!!!

Thumbs up

Woohoo! You go girl!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I'm very happy for Abby! Awesome.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Tag team

I hope that we can see Jason Williams and Abby Waner together doing games or commentary in the near future. That would beat listening to Jimmy Dykes, don't you think? Or Digger Phelps or...

With her smarts and her eye candy-ness, she cannot miss!

Bright, articulate, knowledgeable, and a Dukie . . . how can she miss? Congratulations, Abby!

Go Abby Go

And she hit some really big shots today to help beat Florida State.
    Beat the twerps tomorrow Duke ladies and get that trophy.

Update

http://fullcourt.ehclients.com/index...cut_but_isnt_/

Abby has been cut, and is looking at life after basketball. Not an easy adjustment; I hope she gets a chance in broadcasting.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    http://fullcourt.ehclients.com/index...cut_but_isnt_/

Abby has been cut, and is looking at life after basketball. Not an easy adjustment; I hope she gets a chance in broadcasting.
    I am sure she will, although that -- obviously -- is not her only option. I hope she'll consider television/cable as a local sports commentator, in addition to nationally syndicated basketball, to provide experience and documented performance. Abby has so many terrific attributes; I am certain she will do VERY well.

Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie View Post
    I am sure she will, although that -- obviously -- is not her only option. I hope she'll consider television/cable as a local sports commentator, in addition to nationally syndicated basketball, to provide experience and documented performance. Abby has so many terrific attributes; I am certain she will do VERY well.
    Tom Suitor and Bob Holiday have both retired from WRAL. Their sports department is somewhat depleted.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I'm betting she'll play in Israel, at least for a season. Several WNBA players do. Regardless of whether she continues her playing career, I'm positive we'll see her in the booth somewhere, but I would love if it weren't for women's basketball. She's done a few Duke football games for ESPN, and she has been on the sidelines for the men's bball team as well. She knows her sports, just needs to slow down on her delivery. (Sort of like her 3 pointers).
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Waner doing commentary

She is doing the Men's Wake Miami game- not bad!

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Yeah, I noticed this too. Go Abby! I must admit that she already sounds more polished than Jason Williams did in his first season announcing.

Smile Great Game, Abby!

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Abdy did a good job -- I watched most of the second half. She had good opinions; wasn't the least bit shy; and never seemed to stumble across her words like most of us doing public speaking.

BTW, Miami won when McFarland and Aminu did an Alphonse-Gaston act over a defensive rebound with 40 seconds left, allowing Miami to grab the ball for an easy putback.

sagegrouse

Good for her. I know she is going to be awesome. If only we could have more people like her in the booth.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I didn't get to watch, and it sounds like she did well. Her one problem for me was that she would speak to fast, has she slowed down? Hope she gets to do a Duke game this season!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."