Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Ymm, Bagels and Lox

Okay, where have you had the best bagels and lox?

For me, it was Highbury Stadium, 1996, London. I totally did NOT expect this. It just wowed me. Great bagel, cream cheese, and lox. It was also followed by a good pint of English Bitters. WHAT a combo!

Steven: Goldberg's finishes a distant third place.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Ymm Bagels

I don't like lox.

Good bagels come from NYC, just like pastrami and corned beef!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I don't like lox.

and pizza

I don't like lox.

I don't like lox either. But, I do like bagels, pastrami and corned beef.

No lox for me either. My favorite bagels are at the New York Bagel & Bialy Company on Touhy Ave Lincolnwood, IL. Sesame with cream cheese and cucumber slices are my favorite. Ymmmm, bagels! I want one now!

Quote Originally Posted by DukePA View Post
    No lox for me either. My favorite bagels are at the New York Bagel & Bialy Company on Touhy Ave Lincolnwood, IL. Sesame with cream cheese and cucumber slices are my favorite. Ymmmm, bagels! I want one now!
    Wow, can't believe you mentioned that place! My dad would take me there all the time growing up...haven't been back there in a while though...need to go back! I'd always get mish mosh bagels (a.k.a everything) with chive cream cheese and lox....yum! I'm not a big salmon fan, but having had lox so many times I've grown to like lox. Just don't plan on going on a date after eating that combo!

I don't like lox.

That's too bad, Oz. Salmon is a staple in my diet, but it has been a very long time since I've had any lox. Actually, I prefer my salmon cooked on the grill, but sometimes, for convenience, the good ole George Foreman Grill gets put to use. I've had different kinds of salmon in Norway, one they even called lox, but it was a bit different. Less salty. As with most salmon, I liked it

There's no bad bagels. Even those small ones that come in packages from standard regional bakeries are ok if that's all you can get. Cream cheese is a must with a bagel, but just as I use mustard with my favorite soft pretzels, I've tried different kinds of mustard with my bagels just for variety. By the way, pastrami belongs in a Ruben sandwich, not on a bagel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    There's no bad bagels.
    I beg to differ. Dunkin Donuts bagels = TERRIBLE. I do like their donuts though...

No lox. No cream cheese. Butter only.

Favorite is salt bagel w/ butter. Good bagel places back in NJ, but H&H in NYC takes the cake, so to speak. Brueggers is... uh... not horrible in a pinch.

As an aside, anyone ever had a salt stick? Mmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    No lox. No cream cheese. Butter only.

Favorite is salt bagel w/ butter. Good bagel places back in NJ, but H&H in NYC takes the cake, so to speak. Brueggers is... uh... not horrible in a pinch.

As an aside, anyone ever had a salt stick? Mmmmmm.
    Brace yourself, I almost agree with you about food!

While I do love lox, and cream cheese, I am absolutely down with the butter-only bagels, nice pinch of kosher salt. Ymm bagels!

but H&H in NYC takes the cake, so to speak.
    H&H - Horn and Hardart automats? The last one closed in 1991 according to this article in Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horn_&_Hardart

Or are you talking about another H&H?

9F 9F 9F

I sometimes put cinnamon sugar and butter on my bagels.

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    Brace yourself, I almost agree with you about food!

While I do love lox, and cream cheese, I am absolutely down with the butter-only bagels, nice pinch of kosher salt. Ymm bagels!
    I forgot... don't toast it. Unless it's Lender's (aka grocery store) Bagels at home, don't toast it.

H&H - Horn and Hardart automats? The last one closed in 1991 according to this article in Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horn_&_Hardart

Or are you talking about another H&H?
    Here's their East Side location. There's also one on the West Side, around 80th & Broadway, or so. I only know the West Side location, as we used to go there on the way home from this one bar (when I was in college), around 2:30am or so...

fresh bagels-hopefully still warm from the store-with a bit of butter or plain cream cheese. Toast 'em lightly if they are a day old. I don't like fruity cream cheeses that much but enjoy the veggie or bacon/scallion ones if they have to be "flavored." Plain bagels are fine but I'll enjoy the ones with toppings, too, like, toasted onion, sesame, poppyseed or everything. I make do with the local varieties in NC such as Panera and Brueggers.

I only like the mini-bagels. And I only eat the tops with a very thin layer of cream cheese. I don't care where they're from. As long as they're small.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    fresh bagels-hopefully still warm from the store-with a bit of butter or plain cream cheese. Toast 'em lightly if they are a day old. I don't like fruity cream cheeses that much but enjoy the veggie or bacon/scallion ones if they have to be "flavored." Plain bagels are fine but I'll enjoy the ones with toppings, too, like, toasted onion, sesame, poppyseed or everything. I make do with the local varieties in NC such as Panera and Brueggers.
    Panera bagels. Blech. Designer bagels.

DD, I'm ashamed of you. Lavabro, straighten him out, would you please?

They match my designer suits.

There aren't that many places to procure bagels in Raleigh and it's a long, inconvenient drive to NYC...

Smile Oy

Sadly, I cannot straighten out gentiles when it comes to matters that deal with Jewish Soul Food. ILJ (a member of the same tribe as DD) actually likes a fresh plain bagel, cream cheese and pastrami. She also insults me by bringing in Asiago Cheese bagels from Panera.

Ozzie's earlier comment about lox has me wondering. I can understand Tilly not liking lox, but Ozzie? Oy gevalt!

Perhaps we have to bring back the "Ymm, Matzah Brai" thread.

Rock on, Sis!
    Lavabro

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post

Ozzie's earlier comment about lox has me wondering. I can understand Tilly not liking lox, but Ozzie? Oy gevalt!
    I don't like salmon. Never have, never will. I didn't eat fish at all (except for canned tuna) until about 20 years ago. Don't even ask me about gefilte fish; that ain't gonna happen either.

9F 9F 9F