Take a Moment ...

Think back to Feb. 15. Remember how you felt after Duke lost to Boston College. Remember the hope you'd lost, the frustration you felt, the collapse you were sure was inevitable.

Now move forward. Remember a win at St. John's that didn't seem much more than a so-so win against a so-so team, featuring another strange lineup change. Then remember the Wake game, and the Henderson/Scheyer 35/30. Flash forward to the Maryland game, and Gerald's dunk. Picture Singler attacking the basket in the second half at Virginia Tech. And now focus on the last thing you saw tonight -- Dukies hugging, smiling, celebrating.

Now it's your turn. Smile. Celebrate. Hug someone. The season isn't over. Hopefully, it's far from over. We have a huge game with huge stakes coming up and two tournaments after that. We have some gimpy players. We still have room to improve.

But now is not the time for that. The team is 25-5, 11-4, with a chance to play for a share of the ACC title on Sunday. Think back again to November -- that's pretty much all any team can ask for at the beginning of the season. Duke just won its fourth straight conference game against teams that are a combined 80-35, 33-26.

So take a moment. Stop. Smell the roses. It's okay. You've earned it. Enjoy today.

Unless you're a player. You guys still have a work to do, because there's a long, exciting road ahead.

Great stuff. Watch out, Carolina! I have a feeling they're going to choke against VT in anticipation of playing us.

I was thinking the same thing at the end of this game. After the BC game I thought this year would be a 2007 redux, complete with a 1st weekend exit from the tourney. A lot is still up in the air but its hard not to appreciate 4 hard fought wins against two top 25 teams and two teams with winning records desparate to make the dance (one of whom despises truth, honor and the Duke way). I don't want to say I dont care about Sunday's game because I'd love to ruin beaker's and dancing doofus' senior game, but UNC plays us better than they play anyone else and we're down two guys...it'll be a tough task. The point being, the outcome of that game should not cast a shadow in what Duke has done the past 4 games, not when you consider where this team was in the middle of the month.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Thanks Jumbo. A great post.

People forget that the core of this team was still "learning how to win" in the late part of a season. They had no past success to call upon. They are now creating that for themselves. They have now won 4 straight conference games in which the opportunity was there to lose all.

But they made plays. Little plays, Big Plays, key 3 pointers from a freshman in each game, clutch performances by the "Big Three", key rebounds, key tap outs to create another scoring chance, key defensive stops when they had to have them. I could go on and on. I feel like we have had a seasons worth of plays in the last 5 games.

They have taught themselves how to win under tough circumstances, and they now have that to draw upon in future games. I think it is great.

And for all the naysayers that say "ahh, its just the same ol Duke, no inside game, no point guard, they soley rely on 3's", you keep right on feeling that way, because I believe this team will beg to differ. And I would not bet against them.

Go Duke

I feel like we're going to peak at the right time this year! Still a lot of ball to be played, and we're going in the right direction.

LGD & Thank You Seniors!

Jumbo, thanks. I really think even just judging by the emotion being shown by Coach that this team is really special. We have found away to begin playing our best basketball and do it with some guys going down.

I want to thank Greg, Dave, and Marty for their continued dedication to Duke Basketball. They really deserved tonight's win. It was IMO a great way for them to go out. I will be sad when they go but I am sort of glad to have senior night behind me because it was a night I was emotionally dreading.

Let's go get healthy and prepare to give em hell in Chapel Hill on Sunday!

Couldn't agree more. Great post!

Nice timing. Without doubt it feels great.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Unless you're a player. You guys still have a work to do, because there's a long, exciting road ahead.
    Even if you're a player. Five games in thirteen nights....what a brutal stretch. Take some time off, guys, and enjoy what you've just run through. I imagine practice will be a bit light in the next few days.

Thinking back to November, I think most of us would have taken 25-5 as we head into the final game of the regular season.

The chance to play for the regular season title...against the 'annointed' North Carolina Tar Heels. Sweet!

Where we go one, we go all!

Seeing Georgetown lose to St. John's tonight reminded me also to think back to January 17 and the Duke - Georgetown game.

Georgetown came into CIS with wins over UConn and Memphis and a blow-out over Maryland and a lot of confidence.

There were even posters on this board who were still pining for their center, Monroe, who as a recruit rejected Duke's entreaties.

Some might say the turning point in that game was when Monroe was given the technical for dropping the F-bomb on the referee (which he denied), and reportedly he also dropped the F-bomb on the Crazies after the game.

That game marked a juncture in which the paths of the two teams have diverged dramatically. Georgetown is now 3-9 since that game, with the most recent loss coming against the team (St. John's) against which Duke basically relaunched its season with a victory.

How great it is for Duke to be able to win with the players that wanted to come here, and especially sweet for the seniors Greg, Dave and Marty.

Quote Originally Posted by 91devil View Post
    Even if you're a player. Five games in thirteen nights....what a brutal stretch. Take some time off, guys, and enjoy what you've just run through. I imagine practice will be a bit light in the next few days.

Thinking back to November, I think most of us would have taken 25-5 as we head into the final game of the regular season.

The chance to play for the regular season title...against the 'annointed' North Carolina Tar Heels. Sweet!

Fine, I'll give them a second to enjoy themselves ... but only if it makes then hungrier for bigger and better accomplishments!

Go Duke!
    Last edited by freedevil; 03-04-2009 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Can't type "Go Duke!" in all caps, by default? Man, the mods are good.

Light practice

Quote Originally Posted by 91devil View Post

It has to be a light practice- they don't have the bodies! When looking at the schedule a few weeks back, there was a sense that Duke was going to struggle big time down the stretch. Games at MD and Tech, and games against Wake and Fla State - two teams with size and an All-ACC caliber guard. I would never have believed that Duke would have gone through unscathed. But they did- mostly because K had the courage to change things up. With this change, both Singler and Scheyer broke out of their funks. We also witnessed the remarkable emergence of Elliot Williams- who learned how to play D with poise for a whole game and play with the confidence to hit a big shot at the end of a game. With Henderson playing like an AA, Duke got its swagger back. This team is executing at the end of games like the Duke teams of old- by minimizing mistakes and making key stops. This is how you survive and advance. Duke needs to get some rest and get ready for tourney time. For some reason, the UNC game does not seem that big right now. Sure it would be great to win, but Duke has shown a lot the past two weeks and if Duke is going to beat UNC- I would prefer it to be in Atlanta.

Speaking of memories...

Great post, nice to put things in perspective. Heading into our final game, I am reminded about some preseason and early season threads on whether UNC would go through the season undefeated or not. Though I would say they still have as good a chance at a national championship as anyone, (with Duke not far behind, among a few other teams) I don't think they will make it through the season undefeated and there is an excellent chance they won't make it through the ACC tourney or their next game undefeated.

I remember back to 2001 when Boozer went down and Coach K went with a smaller team on the floor. Although there wasn't an injury to force a new line up, this team has stepped up like the 01 team. I'm not saying this team will go to the final four, but it sure is fun to watch them play.

Watching Coach K

He has been so much more animated and "into" the last few games it's been amazing. Lots of times he's reserved and analytical, lately the coat comes off and he's demonstrative. I think he sees something potentially special with this club right now and I think he's hungry. A deep run is my point, with loads of talent despite a missing part or two; still very tough to beat.
    Sunday's game will be telling, for sure. I really like what I see the last two weeks and look forward to an exciting March (and hopefully early April).

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    He has been so much more animated and "into" the last few games it's been amazing. Lots of times he's reserved and analytical, lately the coat comes off and he's demonstrative. I think he sees something potentially special with this club right now and I think he's hungry. A deep run is my point, with loads of talent despite a missing part or two; still very tough to beat.
    Sunday's game will be telling, for sure. I really like what I see the last two weeks and look forward to an exciting March (and hopefully early April).
    I also noticed that Coach K has been a lot more animated this year... and not so much, if at all, in the last couple of years. I wonder, could it be somewhat related to his involvement with USA Basketball... that he had to project a more "professional" manner, than a crazed, wild college coach? Whatever, I really like that he throws off his coat... jumps up and down, hands raised, etc... as much as I enjoy it, I hope the team and fans like it too

I really feel pretty good right now (provided that Lance and Nolan are back at almost 100% for the NCAA tourney). Today I thought about everything and realized something. To just MEET national expectations (and personal expectations too) all Duke needs to do is win one (but probably two, so long as the 2nd isn't to Carolina) games in the ACC tournament and make it past the first weekend of the tournament. With this group of guys, I think this can and should happen.

It's all gravy to me if we-

1) Beat Carolina on Sunday
    2) Win the ACC tourney
    3) make it past the sweet sixteen (getting out of the slump in style)

I don't think we have the most talented team in the country, but we have a legit shot of being a force in March and the great thing is, nobody believes we will be.

My realistic expectations before the season were to finish 2nd in the ACC and make it past the first weekend of the tournament. I feel pretty good right now and can just enjoy having a team in position to exceed national expectations and my own. It's nice to not feel the pressure of incredibly high expectations (playing not to lose) ... hopefully the team is benefitting from this same mentality and thinking, "We are better than people think, so lets just have fun with this and play to win."

For reasons I cannot articulate, the difference to me is that when Duke was behind, recently, I had no doubt we were going to win.
    Earlier in the season, in the same situation or even while still ahead, I knew we were going to lose.

Hasn't been this way in at least a few years.

Does this team remind anyone of 1991?

Good players making the leap to great, some highs and lows that ultimately develop character, a coach that seems to want to win as badly as ever...

Hmmmm...I'm confident because my team is exuding confidence! Confidence is building and they are peaking at the right time!