Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Obviously I was an idiot when I predicted that this was a dead topic, 3 years ago.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Once you play an NCAA sport, your clock starts and you have six years. So, I would assume the baseball guys you are talking about never played any college sports before they played minor league ball. Back in the 1990's FSU's quarterback was like 28 years old (I forget his name) because he'd played minor league baseball for like 5 years before getting a football scholarship.

I know that Greg could play a year of football. Whether he could qualify as a scholarship player, I do not know. Unless his play was phenominal, I don't see how he could make it off of the scout team, as the program's future lies along a different path, with Greg only being part of the team for one year.
    Where do you get a "six year" clock. Plus the clock starts when somebody attends a class as a properly registered student, not necessarily when you first play a sport (although that is one of the exceptions to rule 14.2.1.1, if you participate in a sport before attending a class.) A simple check of the NCAA manual reveals the following:

14.2.1 Five-Year Rule. A student-athlete shall complete his or her seasons of participation within five calendar years from the beginning of the semester or quarter in which the student-athlete first registered for a minimum full-time program of studies in a collegiate institution, with time spent in the armed services, on official church missions or with recognized foreign aid services of the U.S. government being excepted. For foreign students, service in the armed forces or on an official church mission of the student’s home country is considered equivalent to such service in the United States.

14.2.1.1 Determining the Start of the Five-Year Period. For purposes of starting the count of time under the five-year rule, a student-athlete shall be considered registered at a collegiate institution (domestic or foreign; see Bylaw 14.02.3) when the student-athlete initially registers in a regular term (semester or quarter) of an academic year for a minimum full-time program of studies, as determined by the institution, and attends the student’s first day of classes for that term (see Bylaw 14.2.2).

There are various exceptions, the best known being a "medical redshirt" (actually a hardship waiver) where a sixth year is granted in certain situations due to multiple seasons lost to injury. If I recall correctly, one of our football players is in his sixth season.

This thread is a repeat of one from the spring/summer. Surprised it wasn't already merged.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    This thread is a repeat of one from the spring/summer. Surprised it wasn't already merged.
    My google fu was weak today: I couldn't find it in a quick search. Paulus seems to show up all over this place, if you can imagine that!

I was hoping a fellow mod would have found and merged it.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Obviously I was an idiot when I predicted that this was a dead topic, 3 years ago.
    It's so absurd. Greg Paulus hasn't played a football game since 2004, and somehow he's going to beat out two seniors and a highly recruited redshirt freshman (and anyone else Duke has next year). So bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    It's so absurd. Greg Paulus hasn't played a football game since 2004, and somehow he's going to beat out two seniors and a highly recruited redshirt freshman (and anyone else Duke has next year). So bizarre.
    He's just that good ... didn't you hear? He almost went to Notre Dame to be a QB. He's pretty much a lock to be drafted to the NFL.

The real question is...how many receiving TDs could Olek Czyz have next year if he went out for the football team? I think about 40 (but maybe more if he played into November).

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Where do you get a "six year" clock. Plus the clock starts when somebody attends a class as a properly registered student, not necessarily when you first play a sport (although that is one of the exceptions to rule 14.2.1.1, if you participate in a sport before attending a class.) A simple check of the NCAA manual reveals the following:
    A simple check of the NCAA manual? Oh right, what was I thinking. It's bookmarked right there next to my email. Five years, six years, whatever, the point's the same. The guy asked if Paulus would get fresh eligibility for football, and the answer's no. Chill pill.

Lets be fair to Paulus

http://bluedevilnation.net/?p=611

firstly, in terms of whether Greg Paulus is of sufficient height to play in the NFL - how many folks asking this question also ask the question of Thad Lewis? Paulus is a bit taller than Lewis, so what does that mean?

Greg has 5 years to complete 4 years elibibility in any one sport - unless a medical exception is allowed.

What this means is that Greg can go out for Football for one year.

If he does go out, by virtue of being on the roster he may count as one of the 85, whether on scholarship or not. So, Cut has to agree, and if he shows up on the roster rest assured it will be because he looks like he could get playing time.

Greg will also graduate before next season. So to play Football, he will have to be in grad school at Duke.

I can see the following scenario - Greg plans to attend graduate school, further to a career in coaching, and will be a grad assistant for K. First he plays a season of Football.

To all who think Greg does not have a chance, guys have made it in the NFL who did not play college ball - not a day of it - Sam Clancy, Bob Hayes come to mind. What makes you think that Greg would not have a chance to play college ball for Duke? He was much more higher rated and more highly recruited as a qb I believe than anyone on the Duke Football roster except for Renfree, and even Renfree did not get a qb offer from Notre Dame. Either you have a strong rooting interest in our current slate of qbs, do not like Greg Paulus, or have not followed closely our talent levels at the position.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    A simple check of the NCAA manual? Oh right, what was I thinking. It's bookmarked right there next to my email. Five years, six years, whatever, the point's the same. The guy asked if Paulus would get fresh eligibility for football, and the answer's no. Chill pill.
    Hi,

What you stated as fact was not and you were corrected. You know this board prides itself on accuracy. Why should the other poster need a chill pill?

Best regards,
    Jeffrey

Quote Originally Posted by bdh21 View Post
    Drew Brees is 6'0"
    And you think that Paulus can be as good a QB as Brees?

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    And you think that Paulus can be as good a QB as Brees?
    Come on. He mentioned Brees because someone asked how many 6' NFL QBs were out there. I don't want to speak for him, but I doubt he was making any kind of quality comparison; merely a height comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    He's just that good ... didn't you hear? He almost went to Notre Dame to be a QB. He's pretty much a lock to be drafted to the NFL.
    I saw Nick Horvath in a pick-up game this summer, and I'm telling you, he could take Ben Roethlisberger's job if the Steelers just gave him a chance.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

I saw Nick Horvath in a pick-up game this summer, and I'm telling you, he could take Ben Roethlisberger's job if the Steelers just gave him a chance.
    Rumor has it that the University of Arizona is considering hiring Olek Czyz as their new head coach.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    With the Steeler's O-line, that job requires a real man. Only Patrick Davidson need apply.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by formerdukeathlete View Post
    To all who think Greg does not have a chance, guys have made it in the NFL who did not play college ball - not a day of it - Sam Clancy, Bob Hayes come to mind.
    I'm pretty sure this is the first and only time that Greg Paulus has ever brought thoughts of Bob Hayes to anyone's mind.

I'm sorry but the idea that Greg Paulus could go four years without playing a down of football and come in and beat out Thad Lewis, Zack Asack, Sean Renfree, and Sean Schroeder and play quarterback at an ACC level is just preposterous.

Seriously. Are we that bored? Is there nothing else to talk about?

Quote Originally Posted by formerdukeathlete View Post
    http://bluedevilnation.net/?p=611

To all who think Greg does not have a chance, guys have made it in the NFL who did not play college ball - not a day of it - Sam Clancy, Bob Hayes come to mind.
    Gotta mention Antonio Gates...

Quote Originally Posted by bdh21 View Post
    Drew Brees is 6'0"
    AND...

Michael Vick
    Seneca Wallace (5.11)
    Matt Hasselback
    Tim Rattay
    Jeff Blake
    Doug Flutie (5.10)
    Fran Tarkenton
    Joe Theisman
    DJ Shockley
    Troy Smith (Paulus is easily as good as this guy)

6'1 (b/c that extra inch matters...)

Marques Tuiasosopo
    Bruce Gradkowski
    Tim Hasselbeck
    Mark Brunell
    Jeff Garcia

There's more but hopefully this puts the height issue to bed...

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I'm sorry but the idea that Greg Paulus could go four years without playing a down of football and come in and beat out Thad Lewis, Zack Asack, Sean Renfree, and Sean Schroeder and play quarterback at an ACC level is just preposterous.

Seriously. Are we that bored? Is there nothing else to talk about?
    It's not about beating them out really. It SHOULD be about making the team and going pro - which is how this started I think.

The combines are where MANY future NFL players make their mark. A good combine and a few good team workouts and Paulus could be a last day pick. He'd EASILY be in the best shape of most of the QBs and have an outstanding QB vision.

One has to look no further than two Chase's from Missouri this year to know that you don't have to be a starter to get drafted (or Matt Cassell for that matter).

Oh and I think folks are just getting warmed up!

Just getting warmed up? Dave, this nonsense has been going on since Paulus signed an LOI with Duke.

I have a fair amount of contact with both programs. I have neither heard nor seen anything from Paulus, the Duke basketball program, or the Duke football program that even remotely suggests that this is a possibility.