Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cheap Shot on Singler VIDEO

This was created by a Duke Hater, but here is the video of the very OBVIOUSLY intentional elbow.

This is pretty terrible. I wonder if the ACC reviews these things?

http://rushthecourt.net/2009/03/01/d...-own-medicine/

Not sure how the refs missed this one...it was in the open court near the play. Very dangerous play. This was a horribly officiated game. I hope it is reviewed and a big deal is made of it. If Singler had done this, it would have been the lead on Sportscenter and we would have had to hear about it for as long as Singler stays at Duke.

The guy stuck out his elbow and Singler ran into it... he didn't swing it backwards like Singler did to Hansbrough. I didn't think it was vicious, but I don't know what the guy was thinking... it seemed like a really poor attempt to box out.

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    The guy stuck out his elbow and Singler ran into it... he didn't swing it backwards like Singler did to Hansbrough. I didn't think it was vicious, but I don't know what the guy was thinking... it seemed like a really poor attempt to box out.
    I think you are being sarcastic, but I can't be sure. I hope you are.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    I think you are being sarcastic, but I can't be sure. I hope you are.
    I actually wasn't.

I watched the play about 20 times. The guy plants his feet, sticks up his elbow, and gets Singler in the shoulder and then in the neck as Singler runs through. Yeah, it was a foul, but he didn't SWING the elbow backwards, he just kind of stuck it out there. I honestly don't think it was half as bad as G's elbow to Hansbrough.

Edit: I'm obviously the only one that thinks that this is the case. That's okay. Maybe I'm too trusting of Virginia Tech basketball players.

I actually wasn't.

I watched the play about 20 times. The guy plants his feet, sticks up his elbow, and gets Singler in the shoulder and then in the neck as Singler runs through. Yeah, it was a foul, but he didn't SWING the elbow backwards, he just kind of stuck it out there. I honestly don't think it was half as bad as G's elbow to Hansbrough.
    So you're saying the guy clotheslined Singler? Because I'm pretty sure thats not a legal basketball move and would probably still be an intentional/flagrant foul.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    So you're saying the guy clotheslined Singler? Because I'm pretty sure thats not a legal basketball move and would probably still be an intentional/flagrant foul.
    Never mind basketball. That's not a legal football play!

I was responding to the quote in the article that said,

"Yesterday, Virginia Tech’s Terrell Bell decided to take matters into his own hands and leveled Singler with an elbow that was much more malicious than the prior Duke elbows."

I didn't think it was "much more malicious than the prior Duke elbows."

Which one was worse, this or when Gerald Henderson broke UNC's star player's nose?

This was far worse, b/c there was no play made on the ball. This is NOT a legal blockout move, and never could be confused for one.

Henderson's elbow was very clearly a play made on the ball (the ball was deflected which changed things dramatically). I'll grant that maybe he shouldn't have been going that hard after a blocked shot in a game that was already decided, but it was a play on the ball gone wrong. This was a deliberate cheap shot. period.

I was responding to the quote in the article that said,

"Yesterday, Virginia Tech’s Terrell Bell decided to take matters into his own hands and leveled Singler with an elbow that was much more malicious than the prior Duke elbows."

I didn't think it was "much more malicious than the prior Duke elbows."

Which one was worse, this or when Gerald Henderson broke UNC's star player's nose?
    Keep digging. You haven’t reached bottom yet.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDuke Dad View Post
    Keep digging. You haven’t reached bottom yet.
    Give me a break. I thought I was entitled to my opinion.

Yes, of course you are. However that doesn’t give you immunity from being criticized for what you said.

You are, F.O. I guess it just shows how open to interpretation calls can be. For me, there seems to be a measured intent by the guy to see how far he can stick his elbow into Kyle's neck. You just don't see many block-outs performed on a guy's Adam's apple.

Now I'm all for letting the boys play and I have been down on my fellow Duke fans for their biased views on what is or isn't a cheapshot depending who is on the receiving end, but this play was definitely a cheapshot with a capitol C.

Bell is looking right at Kyle, you might say he's sizing him up and then raises his elbow. It's only at the last fraction of a second that he turns towards the basket.

FO, you are correct that he didn't swing his elbow. However, look at it again and you will see that he had to lunge out to make contact with Singler.

After what I've seen from Va. Tech players in the past, I would have to believe the act was intentional. There have been several questionable acts from the Hokies in the past few years.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    The elbow to Singler was almost identical to the elbow in the recent FSU/Wake game. In that game, they stopped play even though none of the ref's saw the play live. The ref's huddled and watched the replay and then called a flagrant technical and tossed the FSU player out of the game.

With Singler laid out on the floor while play continued, why was there no review of the play on the monitor? This is one of my biggest gripes about ACC refs, there is no consistency in how they handle similar plays.

I agreed with the Tech on Gerald because it is supposed to be a point of emphasis and they are supposed to call a tech for the glare at the opponent, which in Gerald's case is what they did. However, I have seen players glare at their opponent after a dunk or big play numerous times this year with no call. The most recent in the Maryland game. Right after they called the double foul on Paulus and the twerp, the twerp drove the basket on Paulus and scored on him. The twerp then got right in Paulus' face with a stare down. No call. And again, no consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    The elbow to Singler was almost identical to the elbow in the recent FSU/Wake game. In that game, they stopped play even though none of the ref's saw the play live. The ref's huddled and watched the replay and then called a flagrant technical and tossed the FSU player out of the game.

With Singler laid out on the floor while play continued, why was there no review of the play on the monitor? This is one of my biggest gripes about ACC refs, there is no consistency in how they handle similar plays.

I agreed with the Tech on Gerald because it is supposed to be a point of emphasis and they are supposed to call a tech for the glare at the opponent, which in Gerald's case is what they did. However, I have seen players glare at their opponent after a dunk or big play numerous times this year with no call. The most recent in the Maryland game. Right after they called the double foul on Paulus and the twerp, the twerp drove the basket on Paulus and scored on him. The twerp then got right in Paulus' face with a stare down. No call. And again, no consistency.
    Great post. I absolute agree with everything in here. A surprising unbais post on this thread

I dont think Gerald or Singler on Hansborough was intentional and I don't really think this was intentional either. I watched it a few times and think that this guy just really really sucks at boxing out. Even though it wasn't intentional, IT STILL SHOULD HAVE BEEN A FLAGRANT FOUL. It was extremely dangerous and was very stupid of the Va Tech player... but not intentionl.

I have to say, the idea of assessing a foul because of a look is about as subjective as you can be. How on earth is that even worded in the rule book? Let me see if I can find it.