Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Greivis Vasquez is a jerk!

If you were watching the NC State/UMD game, Maryland pulled away in the final minutes.

Vasquez shot and nailed a 3 at the buzzer to make the lead 10.

A very unclassy move by a jerky player.

One of the worst sports in the league, just like his coach.

Just don't know about

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpackdevil View Post
    If you were watching the NC State/UMD game, Maryland pulled away in the final minutes.

Vasquez shot and nailed a 3 at the buzzer to make the lead 10.

A very unclassy move by a jerky player.

One of the worst sports in the league, just like his coach.
    Vasquez is either a jerk, just doesn't get it, or is really really stupid. That was not classy play. He better remember; what goes around comes around. Go Duke!

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    That's the maryland twerps for you. Doing what they do best. Either losing with no class, or winning with no class.

Was hoping State could pull that one out. Any win the twerps get from here on out will add fuel to their whining to get into the dance. I normally hope to see as many of the ACC teams as possible get into the NCAA Tourney, but after this week I hope to see both the twerps and the hokies in the NIT.

In a game in which he allowed to play over 35 minutes, Greivis again was able to put Maryland on his back, score 30 points and get a win on the road. The fact the the State fans loudly razzed him at the end of the game ended up being their problem.

He replied to the hecklers by dropping the 3-pointer on them to end the game.

Don't dish it out, if you can't take the heat in reply.

Quote Originally Posted by NDMD View Post
    In a game in which he allowed to play over 35 minutes, Greivis again was able to put Maryland on his back, score 30 points and get a win on the road. The fact the the State fans loudly razzed him at the end of the game ended up being their problem.

Well, you are wrong. No one was guarding him. The NCSU players knew the game was over, stayed under the basket expecting him to dribble out the clock in the corner (like the other 99% of players do). Instead he launched an unguarded shot. There is no glory in that.

I never saw JJ shoot a last second 3 in a game that was already won. Im not baggin Vasquez, but if Gary is ok with him doing what he did, then theres a real problem in that

he could play for roy

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    Well, you are wrong. No one was guarding him. The NCSU players knew the game was over, stayed under the basket expecting him to dribble out the clock in the corner (like the other 99% of players do). Instead he launched an unguarded shot. There is no glory in that.
    he could play for roy
    GTHC

Quote Originally Posted by Sixthman View Post
    he could play for roy
    No, Roy only lets his players go for dunks or big plays inside where there is a chance for physical contact and some kind of reaction, right?

In all seriousness though, who really cares? Poor sportsmanship? A little. But honestly at this point for Maryland to succeed they need that kind of attitude. And he wasn't going around shoving people or throwing elbows (a la Seth and his Hokies), he just shot a 3 at the last second. Do you really feel that offended as a State fan or player in that situation. I don't see this as any different than players taking shots during deadball situations, like after a foul/travel/time out. It was a little classless, sure, but it posed no harm to anyone, and really wasn't that offensive. Get over it. Know what keeps things like that from happening? Winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    No, Roy only lets his players go for dunks or big plays inside where there is a chance for physical contact and some kind of reaction, right?

In all seriousness though, who really cares? Poor sportsmanship? A little. But honestly at this point for Maryland to succeed they need that kind of attitude. And he wasn't going around shoving people or throwing elbows (a la Seth and his Hokies), he just shot a 3 at the last second. Do you really feel that offended as a State fan or player in that situation. I don't see this as any different than players taking shots during deadball situations, like after a foul/travel/time out. It was a little classless, sure, but it posed no harm to anyone, and really wasn't that offensive. Get over it. Know what keeps things like that from happening? Winning.
    Yes, I am offended as a State fan. Both teams played a good, clean 39 minutes and 55 seconds. Even Gary Williams was calm and collected for most of the game. It was a good old fahion ACC game. I had wished Vasquez was playing for state until he shot that at the end.

And you dont need an attitude of running up the score to win a couple games and make the NCAA tournament. You just have to play good.

The North Carolina State University Basketball Team was playing against the University of Maryland Basketball Team. It wasn't Greivis vs. the NCSU fans. The players matched up in a well played, fair, and hard fought game. But instead of respecting that, Greivis had to "stick it" to the fans. So rather than finish the game with a show of respect to other players who battled hard, he finished the game looking like a punk. It was quickly pointed out by both announcers. For 39 minutes and 57 seconds Greivis conducted himself like a classy ball player. Then, to get back at some fans, he threw away his image and showed disrespect to ther other team. He is a great basketball player, but shows very little maturity.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor

He could have played over 35 minutes in the Duke game had he not fouled so much. Also, in the game in Durham (at His House) he played plenty of minutes and put his team on his back. He carried them to a 41 point drubbing with his stellar play that day. Enjoy watching him in the NIT...

Go wolfpackdevil - represent that old school class in ACC basketball, not the new breed of street play. Sometmes it is hard to believe you are the youngest regular poster on DBR - you actually "get it".

Dumb play by Vasquez at the end of the game but it doesn't overshadow a terrific game by him and a tough win on the road by the Terps. Sidney is a local guy but I am not impressed by his coaching in this game. At the beginning of the year, I figured the Terps would probably win 7 games but that assumed that Dupree would develop and be a solid presence at center not a 6-6 Dave Neal. If they win one of their remaining two games to finish at 8-8, Williams ought to get some consideration as COY in ACC.

gw67

I must be getting old and sentimental for a time when teams won with class and fans expected it.

Quote Originally Posted by tendev View Post
    I must be getting old and sentimental for a time when teams won with class and fans expected it.
    Hey, I wouldn't like it if a Duke player did it, and I don't really like it that Vasquez did it. But it just isn't that big a deal. I would welcome last second 3's in every game if it meant getting rid of the dangerous, physical form of punkish behavior that is the real problem in basketball. I don't encourage or enjoy this type of classlessness, but I certainly don't get worked up about it. Let me know when he throws an elbow, a punch, or hits someone in the nuts. Thats the kind of play that gets me upset. This? It just isn't that big a deal.

I wonder if that shot might be the focus of interest in a report on ESPN?

Quote Originally Posted by tendev View Post
    Gosh, it sure seems that the fans in Carolina have subjective memories because I can distinctly remember a thunderous, unguarded throw-down jam to end a Maryland-Carollina game in Cole Field House by none other than Michael Jordan when that game was over, as well.

I guess MJ was a classless jerk as well.

Hey, I wouldn't like it if a Duke player did it, and I don't really like it that Vasquez did it. But it just isn't that big a deal. I would welcome last second 3's in every game if it meant getting rid of the dangerous, physical form of punkish behavior that is the real problem in basketball. I don't encourage or enjoy this type of classlessness, but I certainly don't get worked up about it. Let me know when he throws an elbow, a punch, or hits someone in the nuts. Thats the kind of play that gets me upset. This? It just isn't that big a deal.
    With all due respect, I think sportsmanship is sportsmanship. I don't think there's different "kinds" or "levels" of sportmanship. Shooting an un-guarded 3 pointer when *no one* is playing any kind of defense, with the clock expiring... well, I just don't like it... just like I don't like all of the other kinds of "punkish" behavior you mention...

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpackdevil View Post
    Yes, I am offended as a State fan. Both teams played a good, clean 39 minutes and 55 seconds. Even Gary Williams was calm and collected for most of the game. It was a good old fahion ACC game. I had wished Vasquez was playing for state until he shot that at the end.

And you dont need an attitude of running up the score to win a couple games and make the NCAA tournament. You just have to play good.
    I guess State fans have been offended a lot over the last 20 years. The heckling was extreme, maybe he shouldn't have done, but respect the player and the effort and the 3 probably isn't shot.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    I guess State fans have been offended a lot over the last 20 years. The heckling was extreme, maybe he shouldn't have done, but respect the player and the effort and the 3 probably isn't shot.
    Out of curiosity, what was being said by the fans?