Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke vs. Florida State Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

IT'S SENIOR NIGHT IN CAMERON AND IT'S TIME FOR THE BLUE DEVILS TO LIGHT UP THE COURT! PAULUS AND McCLURE CAN SHOW US THEIR EXPERIENCE AND THE REST CAN SHOW THEIR KNOWLEDGE!
    discuss game here

Smile Seems like we are starting to peak at the right time!

Hi,

The last couple of years the Devils struggled at the end playing some of their worst ball of the season. We are starting to play good ball again. I am really excited.

Let's take care of business on Tuesday and have our seniors last game at Cameron be a memorable one (in a good way!!). Thank You Dave and Greg.

GO DUKE!!

Can we get effective inside play

Much of Singler's offense comes from his ability to take his man off the dribble, shoot from outside and other moves where he starts away from the basket. That leaves him in a tough position to get offensive rebounds. He also guard his man away from the basket also watering down our defensive rebounding. The line on the rest of our bigs in the VT game was as follows:

Thomas 2pts, 0a, 3rb, 0to, 1s, 22min
    Zoubek 0pts, 0a, 2rb, 3to, 0s, 5min
    McClure 2pts, 1a, 4rb, 0to, 2s, 23min

Plumlee saw no game time at all.

We were badly out rebounded and VT was able to get putbacks from inside. We also got only 4 points from our bigs, with 2 of those coming from McClure. Our main hope inside was to get an offensive foul call on VT rather than a block of a rebound. Coach K went with the small lineup for a large portion of the second half. The bottom line is of course we won, but would we have won against a team that has dominant bigs and was determined to use them?

It is a shame that one of Thomas, Zoubek or Plumlee can't give us more effective minutes, which would allow us to sub McClure in to guard people like Vassalo. With Henderson and Williams out of the game for a total of 12 minutes, and Smith unavaiable, it would have been good to use McClure to pick up their defensive assignments.

I admit that Zoubek was turning the ball over, Thomas seemed to disappear while McClure seemed to be somewhat effective. Plumlee didn't impress me in his last game where he got PT. Either we have been unlucky with our recruitment of bigs or haven't developed them enough, but right now we appear to be vulnerable against many of the teams with a strong inside presence.

FSU is a scrappy team. I really like Toney Douglas's game. He's a force on both ends of the floor, and will be a tough matchup for Williams (seems like we say that every game now). Kitchen provides them a second scoring option on the wings, and has really helped take the scoring pressure off of Douglas.

The rest of FSU's team can be described with one word: BIG. They have four regulars who are 6'9" or taller (five when Gibson gets run). Alabi is a raw 7'1" guy with good athleticism. Echefu is a really good shooter who is also athletic. Reid is basically just a banger with limited offensive game but a lot of tenacity. Singleton is a versatile player and good defender who can do a bit of everything offensively but doesn't do any one thing particularly well. After that, they have three lanky wing players who aren't great offensively but are capable of getting hot from the perimeter on any given night.

The 'Noles play very tough, very disciplined defense. Their weakness is on the other end of the floor. Pomeroy has them as the 10th best defensive team and 124th best offensive team (after adjustments). If you can contain Douglas and Kitchen and keep the bigs away from the rim, they'll struggle to score 60.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    This is easily the best team FSU has had in awhile. They play excellent defense and have really good size an length. A few things that may play in our favor are: We shoot the 3 much better at home and will need that to open up the floor. They played a different Duke team in the previous game which will not help them as much with game planning for this one against Duke's new lineup/scheme. Finally, FSU seems to not play quite as well on the road, due mainly I think to overall experience.

But, they will be a tough opponent. I would feel better if Nolan were healthy, but overall, I still like the good guys in this game. Our guys have gained new life, are coming off wins in two really hostile environments and should welcome the sight of CIS.

New lineup

I think this will be the game that tells us just how our new lineup with 5 forwards(Coach Knight) will do against a team we may meet in the NCAA tournament. Fl State is tall and they have an excellent ball handler in Douglas. We have been turning over our opponents lately and that has made up for our rebounding defiency. I hope to see an improvement on the boards and two good wins this week. Go Duke!

This is a team we have played and beaten before.

To Recap:

Individuals
    Nolan Smith 58-44 (+14)
    Brian Zoubek 24-11 (+13)
    Kyle Singler 57-45 (+12)
    Jon Scheyer 64-58 (+6)
    Gerald Henderson 52-46 (+6)
    Elliot Williams 6-6 (0)
    Dave McClure 29-31 (-2)
    Lance Thomas 33-37 (-4)
    Greg Paulus 7-12 (-5)

Per 40 Minutes

Nolan Smith +19.3
    Brian Zoubek +37.1
    Kyle Singler +14.1
    Gerald Henderson +7.1
    Jon Scheyer +6.3
    Elliot Williams 0
    Dave McClure -5.3
    Lance Thomas -7.0
    Greg Paulus -33.3

Lineups

Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Zoubek (x3) 19-9 (+10)
    Smith-Scheyer-McClure-Singler-Thomas 8-0 (+8)
    Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Thomas (x6) 16-14 (+2)
    Smith-Scheyer-Williams-McClure-Zoubek 2-0 (+2)
    Paulus-Henderson-McClure-Singler-Thomas 2-0 (+2)
    Scheyer-Williams-Henderson-McClure-Zoubek 3-2 (+1)
    Paulus-Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler (x3) 1-0, 1-0, 0-2 = 2-2 (0)
    Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-McClure-Singler (x4) 7-8 (-1)
    Smith-Scheyer-Williams-McClure-Thomas 1-2 (-1)
    Scheyer-Williams-Henderson-Singler-Thomas (x2) 0-2, 0-0 = 0-2 (-2)
    Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-McClure-Thomas (x2) 3-9 (-6)
    Paulus-Scheyer-McClure-Singler-Thomas (x2) 3-10 (-7)
    I think we can basically swap out Nolan with Elliot here...the loss of depth might hurt a little, but not too much. Moreover, Zoo seemed to do poorly in the game, but came out with a higher +/-. Hard to tell what's going on there. Still, I doubt we'll see Zoo play that much...this seems to be the trend here.

G had an incredible game then, and will need it again now. Scheyer and Singler will play a lot, and Singler MUST avoid unnecessary fouls.

I think K, no offense lance, needs to play McClure here. Lance was not tough enough to deal with their huge size and while he's improved, McClure seems to be more versatile as a defender vs big and small guys...and i don't see lance adding much offense vs their size, so McClure's lack of Offense is a Wash.

I hope K goes often with a lineup of Scheyer, Singler, G, Elliot, and McClure..perhaps more often than lance is in. Just me.

Incidentally, can we find a nickname for the big 3 we got here? Perhaps something like SSG (Two last names and just "G")? I mean, they need some cool nickname as a collective force to be reckoned with.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Douglas

If FSU beats either Duke (no!) or VT (sure, ok), that puts them at 10-6. And nobody saw that coming, right? How'd they do that?

Well, maybe Leonard Hamilton can coach. If they win out (no!), he gets ACC COY, right?

And definitely Toney Douglas can play. Look at their team stats: he's the only Nole averaging double figures (20 ppg). And surely, surely, he's ACC defensive POY. His stance is solid, he's strong, his hands steal everything. I'll be shocked if he's not 1st team All-ACC, and I and perhaps others would, if FSU winds up 10-6, vote him POY. Taking nothing away from Lawson, McClinton, G, Hansbrough [who won't be POY, right?], Douglas has been the most consistently excellent player at both ends of the court all season long.

We're gonna win Tues night [if our guys aren't so exhausted from playing - only slight hyperbole here - 9 games in last 6 days], but Toney Douglas ain't gonna help us. He's gonna hurt us, so Scheyer's biggest test comes real soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Much of Singler's offense comes from his ability to take his man off the dribble, shoot from outside and other moves where he starts away from the basket. That leaves him in a tough position to get offensive rebounds. He also guard his man away from the basket also watering down our defensive rebounding. The line on the rest of our bigs in the VT game was as follows:

Thomas 2pts, 0a, 3rb, 0to, 1s, 22min
    Zoubek 0pts, 0a, 2rb, 3to, 0s, 5min
    McClure 2pts, 1a, 4rb, 0to, 2s, 23min

Plumlee saw no game time at all.

We were badly out rebounded and VT was able to get putbacks from inside. We also got only 4 points from our bigs, with 2 of those coming from McClure. Our main hope inside was to get an offensive foul call on VT rather than a block of a rebound. Coach K went with the small lineup for a large portion of the second half. The bottom line is of course we won, but would we have won against a team that has dominant bigs and was determined to use them?

It is a shame that one of Thomas, Zoubek or Plumlee can't give us more effective minutes, which would allow us to sub McClure in to guard people like Vassalo. With Henderson and Williams out of the game for a total of 12 minutes, and Smith unavaiable, it would have been good to use McClure to pick up their defensive assignments.

I admit that Zoubek was turning the ball over, Thomas seemed to disappear while McClure seemed to be somewhat effective. Plumlee didn't impress me in his last game where he got PT. Either we have been unlucky with our recruitment of bigs or haven't developed them enough, but right now we appear to be vulnerable against many of the teams with a strong inside presence.
    I think that we may see more bigger lineups against Fl St. The last several opponents have had several tough and quick guard/wings where our 5 forward lineup worked really well because we could switch pretty much regardless of who was setting the pick. Fl St doesn't have as many guards/wings and if we switch our guards onto their many bigs we could have some real issues. I think that Zoubek and/or Plumlee are going to have to get some minutes unless we press and turn them over a lot. Otherwise, I would think that Fl St would set lots of screens trying to get Paulus, Scheyer or Williams switched to one of their bigs and Thomas or Singler switched onto Douglas. Neither of those match ups are ideal.

After watching Florida State give away a game to UNC in the last few minutes because of inept play and bad strategy, it's difficult for me to consider Leonard Hamilton a good coach. But he certainly has assembled a winning team that can compete against virtually anybody.

I'm definitely in favor of Toney Douglas being 1st team All-ACC and getting serious consideration for POY. He'll present a major challenge to Scheyer and Williams.

This is a tough stretch of games, but we should remember Florida State also played on Saturday and they have to travel to our place.

I look for the team and the Crazies to respond to Coach K's challenge and come away with a win in the 6 to 8 point range.

Elliot gives us the much needed quick guard play at the right time, Jon limits our mistakes. We're a top 10 national team with no inside presence. Amazing heart, amazing coaching.

IIRC isn't Douglas the master of the wrap around steal? It seems like he got away with that several times the last game and I believe Jon was the victim of that ploy at least twice.

It will be interesting to see if we can come out shooting well and negate FSU's size advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Incidentally, can we find a nickname for the big 3 we got here? Perhaps something like SSG (Two last names and just "G")? I mean, they need some cool nickname as a collective force to be reckoned with.
    I like using a four letter word for this team: DUKE.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    IIRC isn't Douglas the master of the wrap around steal? It seems like he got away with that several times the last game and I believe Jon was the victim of that ploy at least twice.

It will be interesting to see if we can come out shooting well and negate FSU's size advantage.
    Not sure about this- He was only credited with two steals and I am pretty sure one was against Nolan. Both teams are much better than last time- it should be an interesting game.

My elder son turns 6 tomorrow (yes he was born 03.03.03), and he wants a Duke win for his birthday! He already got a snowday, so he's pretty excited about that, but he's greedy. Come on, Devils, give my kid the perfect birthday!

Thumbs up If FSU goes 10-6, Hamilton will get ACC COY...

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    If FSU beats either Duke (no!) or VT (sure, ok), that puts them at 10-6. And nobody saw that coming, right? How'd they do that?

Well, maybe Leonard Hamilton can coach. If they win out (no!), he gets ACC COY, right?

And definitely Toney Douglas can play. Look at their team stats: he's the only Nole averaging double figures (20 ppg). And surely, surely, he's ACC defensive POY. His stance is solid, he's strong, his hands steal everything. I'll be shocked if he's not 1st team All-ACC, and I and perhaps others would, if FSU winds up 10-6, vote him POY. Taking nothing away from Lawson, McClinton, G, Hansbrough [who won't be POY, right?], Douglas has been the most consistently excellent player at both ends of the court all season long.

However, Hamilton ,while liked,is not regarded as a good end of the game coach.Fans refer to last year's and this year's UNC games.

Toney Douglas is a great player and certainly the ACC mvp. That does not equate to ACC POY. He is a fine scorer ,but takes a lot of shots. Gerald is much more efficient.

Moreover, Gerald ,among the leaders for POY in the ACC, most closely resembles Douglas's all-around stellar play.

I have voted Douglas on the ACC 1st team (which may have 4 guards/wings), but there is a pro-UNC element in the ACC media that will push Lawson for POY. Split voting between Hanstravel and Lawson may boost Douglas.Henderson and Singler have to be in the mix,too.

The scary thought is that TD is no longer a 1 man team (contributing to fatigue late in games), as Alabi and Kitchen have been playing well of late.

Best regards---Blueprofessor
    Last edited by blueprofessor; 03-02-2009 at 02:16 PM. Reason: numbers

Thumbs up Coach K's media conference call comments this afternoon regarding the FSU game

Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski

Opening Comments:

"We have two really tough games this week. Florida State is playing great. Douglas is playing as good as anyone in the country – well, Blake Griffin has probably played better, but he has played as well as anyone in our conference. He has had a sensational season. Of course, we finish up with North Carolina. Our team outside of Nolan (Smith), is healthy. Nolan will not play on Tuesday. He is coming along, but he still has not done any physical stuff yet. He is getting better."

Q: With senior night being tomorrow, can you comment on Greg Paulus' rollercoaster season?

Tuesday night will be senior night for Duke's Greg Paulus, among others.
    Krzyzewski: I think any player, if he is a team player, will measure his performance with how his team is doing. That is what Greg is doing. We are 24-5 and having a terrific season. As far as specific contributions, Greg has given on the court and off the court have been instrumental in us winning those games. He has had a really good career here, and he has been healthier now than he has throughout the season. We are hoping he has even more good things ahead of him.

Q: Can you talk about your interaction with the Duke students over the years and how you have tried to continue to motivate them to support you strongly?

Krzyzewski: We have been honest with them, and they have been such an integral part of our program for the whole time I have been here. We have tried to treat them in a honest, straight forward fashion. I think they appreciate that. Kids graduate, and as they graduate you have to get new kids and rebuild that relationship. We have had a good one over the years. If something isn't going that well, we just address them with that. They have changed, but overall they have been terrific.

Q: You have been all over the place, do you think you have the best fans in college basketball?

Krzyzewski: I love my fans and that is up to 8 million people to vote on whether something is good or not. I love our fans and you have to love all the other fans too, but we are not in a contest about fans. We are in a contest about winning games.

Q: You talked about Toney in your opening, he is getting some consideration for Player of the Year. Is what makes Douglas so unique his defense, in addition to what he does on offense?

Krzyzewski: Not just that, he has been a leader for his team. He has a lot of guys. I think Leonard has done as good of a job in the country at coaching his team. Toney plays every possession on offense and defense. Defensively, he is the best guy on the ball that I have seen, that we have played against, and I've seen in the country. I haven't seen everybody, but I have seen a lot of people. We have played against a lot of great guards. Toney is just a fantastic defender. I really think he is not just an all-ACC player, but probably the defensive player of the year in our conference, maybe in the country, well (Hasheem) Thabeet, it would be tough to argue against him, but Toney is terrific. He is going to play basketball for a long time.

Q: What makes Florida State's defense so tough?

Krzyzewski: They have shot blocking to go with their ball pressure, and they move well without the ball. They play defense as one, and then you add the shot blocking ability and the extreme ball pressure that Toney can give you – at the end of the possession, when the shot is taken and at the beginning of the possession when there is ball pressure, they have two of the best in the country. They have always been pretty good in the other position. It's a very good basketball team. They are very well coached, a very good basketball team.

Best regards--Blueprofessor

Assuming our seniors all start (and they certainly deserve it)... who else gets the starting nod? I guess Singler and Henderson?

Also... any ideas how to catch this game in the NYC area? Will it be on around here or do I have to take some extra measures?

This should be a fun game to watch. The Noles have to overcome their ballhandling mistakes of the first game and figure out a way to defense Henderson. The only player on their roster who appears to have the combination of size and quickness to put a hand in front of Henderson's face on jump shots and stay close to him on drives to the basket is DeMercy. The other players are too tall/slow or too small. Perhaps Hamilton will use a zone or a zone and chaser on Henderson and let Singler and Scheyer try to beat them. The Devils simply have to play their game to win this home game, IMO.

gw67

First - K doesn't always give seniors the starting nod. He has on occasion, but not always, and especially not for regular bench guys. I doubt Marty or Greg get a start here, although Greg is more likely.

Second - one thing this game gives us us a guaranteed spot playing on Friday of the ACC tournament. With Clemson at 8-6 and in 5th place, a win over FSU puts us at 11-5 with one game to go, and keeps alive the hope that we could catch UNC. It also gives us the tiebreaker over FSU should they win their final game and we lose ours. A loss vs. FSU puts us right between FSU and Wake, teams we've split with for the regular season, and takes us out of contention for the regular season crown. Plus, with BC having the easiest schedule by far of State and GTech, they could still tie us at 10-6, and they would win the tiebreaker by virtue of their head to head record.

Bottom line - we need to win vs. FSU, send the seniors out right, and put a top 3 finish in the bag.

2008-09 ACC Standings (with 2 games to go)
    TEAM
    1. North Carolina #2 11-3
    2. Duke #7 10-4
    3. Wake Forest #10 9-5
    4. Florida State #24 9-5
    5. Clemson #19 8-6
    6. Boston College 8-6
    7. Maryland 7-7
    8. Virginia Tech 7-7
    9. Miami (FL) 6-8
    10. NC State 5-9
    11. Virginia 3-11