Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    I'm very curious to see if we have a response to the overplay-forcing-G-to-the-middle-from-the-right-wing defensive strategy VT used so effectively (and that I'm sure FSU will try against him). If you give a great player a red carpet into the lane and devote 2-3 defenders to him in the process, you would think we should be able to make something good come from it. Didn't really happen in the VT game though.

Hey, and if nothing else, it's something for him to come back and work on next year right? Maybe? Please?
    Ga Tech tried the same thing earlier in the year. Henderson followed that game up with a string of monster games, beating people in either direction. I don't think the overplay was as much of a problem as fatigue (the announcers noted that he didn't take second half warmups and was pounding down water).

FSU (and probably every decent defensive team from here on out) will overplay Henderson's right hand. It may help cut down on his dunks, but he'll most likely still get his points and remain an offensive force.

I'm a little nervous about the game tonight. First and foremost, I always want to see us defend our home court, especially on senior night. It's an important night, not necessarily for going into the postseason, but just for the team as people. It's a special home game, and that makes me a little more anxious that they win. On a purely basketball note, Florida State is a good team, better than they were last time we played, and they present matchup problems for us (and vice versa). We'll have to play very good basketball to win. Finally, I think it's an important game to make sure we go into tournament play on the right note. Our next game is at Chapel Hill and, frankly, that's going to be a hard game to win. Not that we can't win at Chapel Hill, but I know this team doesn't want to go into the tournament on a 2 game losing streak, so losing tonight would put a ton of pressure on them going into a tough game at Chapel Hill.

All that being said, I have faith in this team. They've demonstrated beyond doubt that they are fighters, capable of closing out tough games. I think they'll win. And I have a feeling we'll see Singler break out tonight.

Direct TV the answer?

We had Direct TV in the condo in which I am a board member and I was satisfied with the service. Unfortunately, Direct TV wanted some huge payment to continue the service through an antenna we had on the roof and there was no way the condo was going to meet their demands given the availability of the competitive services.

Predictions: Florida State, Wake Vs Terps, Clemson vs Virginia

Today's Wall Street Journal gives the following predictions on tonight's games, from AccuScore:

Duke 80.2, Florida State 69.5
    Percentage of likely winners:
    Wake 57%. Terps 43%
    Clemson 92%, Virginia 85%

Thumbs up Crazies and fans in attendance tonight: Make it deafening...

FSU has a number of young/new players who might be intimidated by glass breaking decibel numbers!
    Remember Michigan in 1992 and UNC in 1998.

Go early and be LOUD!

As Coach K wrote in his communique, PROTECT OUR HOUSE!
    Go,Duke!

Best regards---Blueprof

Cmon crazies!

This game is just as big if not bigger than the Wake game. We need this one for seeding in ACC Tournament, NCAA seeding and for our Seniors. Go Duke!!

I think the VT emphasis on G in the second half (overplaying his right hand) will be a point of emphasis for FSU (or it should be if I was game planning). That means they will either shade him on the right or bring a double team that way. He needs to be able to recognize it and then dish to the open person for (hopefully) a score.

Kyle had a monster second half in Blacksburg. Hopefully he can just continue that into tonight. Jon also has found his touch (more than he was at least, the 30 point effort not withstanding) and his ability to not turn the ball over will be critical if Douglas is going to be guarding him.

So that's the "Triple Threat". We'll also need some banging from Brian, Miles and Lance. If they can hold their ground for the most part, and Paulus and Williams can supplement the big three, I see a successful conclusion to the home season
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Virginia only has an 8% chance of winning!

Quote Originally Posted by diesel View Post
    Today's Wall Street Journal gives the following predictions on tonight's games, from AccuScore:

Duke 80.2, Florida State 69.5
    Percentage of likely winners:
    Wake 57%. Terps 43%
    Clemson 92%, Virginia 85%
    I tried to edit this post, but the edit option seems to be turned off. The percentage of likely winners should read:

Clemson 92%, Virginia 8%
    That's more like it!
    (And math was never my strongest subject!)

diesel - That has happened to me as well. I believe that you have 15-20 minutes after posting to edit the post before the Edit feature disappears.

gw67

FSU wins big

I have FSU winning big.... 82 to 69. Dukes lack of depth was exposed by Maryland and will be abused by FSU. Coach K should have played some other players earlier in the year especially in some of those blowouts. Depth will also have them out of ACC Tourny early as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeler4life View Post
    I have FSU winning big.... 82 to 69. Dukes lack of depth was exposed by Maryland and will be abused by FSU. Coach K should have played some other players earlier in the year especially in some of those blowouts. Depth will also have them out of ACC Tourny early as well.
    So nice of you to stop by. It's a shame Nolan Smith is out, but Duke is playing 7 guys (with occasional minutes additionally for Zoubek and Plumlee) and will be playing 8+ when Smith returns.

Lack of depth exposed by Maryland?
    hmmm...let me think...Maryland had two big home games recently against UNC and Duke; in one of those games, the visitors ran out of gas and lost, and in one of those games, the visitors pulled away late to win.

Did you perhaps get your Maryland games crossed up?

Directv

I don't think if you have Directv you would be able to get all of the Duke games. I have Directv and have been annoyed all season and seasons past by games I couldn't get or were blacked out. I missed the Wake game on the 22nd b/c of this. I was ready to pay any sum of money to get the game and was forced to get it in slow stream on espn 360. I have forewarned my husband that next year, I am getting whatever package allows me access to all of the Duke games. Fortunately, I live in FL and the game tonight is on a local station (33 for you South Floridan denizens), otherwise, I wouldn't necessarily pick it up. It is very, very aggravating and I too thought access to all things Duke basketball came with my diploma.

Be Heeled!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gee I wonder if your name might display any bias about your prediction? I have to say I think a lot of us would have liked seeing some more playing time from Plumlee and after seeing video of Czyz and his athletic ability I wanted to see him play more. But Williams developing and earning playing time couldn't have come at a better time for Duke with Nolan shaking off the cobwebs. And from game to game the lineups have varied quite a bit from player to player as far as playing time goes. K has gone with what has worked in each game. To be frank IMO this is one of the deepest and freshest Duke teams this late in the season I have seen in quite a long time. FSU may well win (they gave Duke a close hard fought gave down in Florida) but I highly doubt for the reasons you listed. Duke hasn't had a lot of blowouts early or at any point in the season aside from the 1st Maryland game. But then we have actually watched the games. We don't base our posts on what we read on IC and create on Youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by diesel View Post
    This juggling to get the different sources on which the Duke games are shown on TV has been a perpetual irritant for me. I have Verizon FIOS in Arlington Virginia. To get the Raycom games I have had to subscribe to ESPN's Full Court package. To get the Fox Sports South network, I had to add the ESPN Extreme HD package.
    Are you sure? In Arlington, I used to be able to watch the Raycom games on My 20, which is actually available over ANTENNA. Cable wasn't even required. This list verifies it:

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskb...030209aaa.html

I verified tonight's game is on My 20 (channel 20), WDCA. No cable is necessary, but it's certainly also available if you have cable:

http://television.aol.com/listings/va/arlington

Also, you can watch it live from the Raycom streaming site directly at http://raycom.swarmcast.com/ if you live in ME, VT, NH, MA, RI, MD-DC, VA, NC, SC, GA or FL.

I'm planning to VPN onto Duke's network and then watch it through Raycom...

Quote Originally Posted by Latta6970 View Post
    Gee I wonder if your name might display any bias about your prediction? I have to say I think a lot of us would have liked seeing some more playing time from Plumlee and after seeing video of Czyz and his athletic ability I wanted to see him play more. But Williams developing and earning playing time couldn't have come at a better time for Duke with Nolan shaking off the cobwebs. And from game to game the lineups have varied quite a bit from player to player as far as playing time goes. K has gone with what has worked in each game. To be frank IMO this is one of the deepest and freshest Duke teams this late in the season I have seen in quite a long time. FSU may well win (they gave Duke a close hard fought gave down in Florida) but I highly doubt for the reasons you listed. Duke hasn't had a lot of blowouts early or at any point in the season aside from the 1st Maryland game. But then we have actually watched the games. We don't base our posts on what we read on IC and create on Youtube.
    Not to mention that since 1995, Duke has lost only one home game by a margin greater than 12 points. No extra credit for identifying said game...

Dukes Depth???

HMMM...Nope I don't think I got my MD games confused. Duke pulled away from a very mediocre Terps team who was without their star G Vasquez 22 minutes. In addition had MD hit their free throws (64%) normally (86%) than Duke gets the L. You can't have much depth when your starters play 170/200 minutes. FSU bench outscores Dukes bench by 20-24 pts. Lets chat again Weds.

2 Kyle Singler f 37 minutes
    42 Lance Thomas f 28 minutes
    15 Gerald Henderson g 37 minutes
    20 Elliot Williams g 31 minutes
    30 Jon Scheyer g 37 minutes

HMMM...Nope I don't think I got my MD games confused. Duke pulled away from a very mediocre Terps team who was without their star G Vasquez 22 minutes. In addition had MD hit their free throws (64%) normally (86%) than Duke gets the L. You can't have much depth when your starters play 170/200 minutes. FSU bench outscores Dukes bench by 20-24 pts. Lets chat again Weds.

Since you're so sharp, you probably already knew that UNC's starters played more minutes (173, I calculate) vs Maryland than Duke's starters did against Maryland.

We'd certainly like to have Nolan Smith back, and expect him back soon. But, I'm not sure depth will be a determining factor tonight, or in some other key games in March.

Maryland shoots 86% FT? I'm guessing that would be some sort of record if true (of course, it's not actually true). If they had shot closer to their average they would have scored between 2 and 3 more points and likely still lost.

As for minutes played, the Duke starters played about as much as the UNC starters versus Maryland. Of course Nolan Smith getting a concussion and David McClure still recovering from the flu probably had a lot to do with Duke's usage of their bench.

Obviously the 86% is wrong, but I suspect the author of this post doesn't know how to calculate percentages. Give him a break, he was just born that way.

Terrell Bell

I have an even better idea, why don't we wait and chat Thursday. Then we can discuss whether the cheap shot Terrell Bell tries to decapitate Hansbrough with tomorrow night is intentional. Then we can debate who should have developed their bench players more over the course of the season with Tyler and Nolan out of the lineups. IF Maryland had hit their freethows? Well why not say if Maryland had boxed out and gotten more rebounds, passed the ball around and taken better shots or not turned the ball over quite as much. Those IF's vary a lot from game to game like everything else. I guess you didn't go back and look to see what Maryland players were actually taking those freethrows and what their season averages are. If a 50% freethrow shooter takes half the freethrows in a particular game and misses the teams season average is a moot point.

But IF you are so sure Duke is going to lose by double figures tonight oh Nostradamus of college basketball take your money to Vegas and put it on the line. Then if you're correct you can blog us from the Bahamas and if you're wrong you'll be close to UNLV. I think they doubted Duke too at one point if my memory serves me correctly.
    Last edited by Uncle Drew; 03-03-2009 at 03:39 PM.