Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Devil View Post
    This thought continues to be expressed without any support. So how did VaTech's handling of the tragedy set them apart from how an N.C. State or a Rutgers, for example, would have handled similar circumstances? I ask the question with some cynicism, of course, but if there has been a truly remarkable response of which I am ignorant, I'd like to know about it.
    What support do you need? Rudy Giuliani said so.

Inside Game

For a large part of the second half, it appeared that we had Thomas sitting and Singler as the only big we had on the floor. McClure, while a smart defensive player, and a good rebounder for his size is not able to contest many redbounds against 6'9" players. When Singler takes a shot from outside, we are totally outsized for rebounds. I think that we will continue have trouble holding leades as opponents realize they can take the ball inside on us and also dominate us in the rebound stat.

With that said, I don't know if Thomas got on coach K's bench list and also if Plumlee and Zoubek are also there, but one with think that we will need to use some of our size going forward.

Henderson had a great first half but seemed to tire. Of course he was guarded more carefully in the second half, but it seemed to be more than that. He started to force the ball and turn it over. Maybe he was beginning to drag. As others have said. The others have to recognize when a player has become ineffective and move to a different option. We stayed with the idea of pushing Henderson even after it appeared that he was becoming ineffective offensively.Good thing Singler stepped up in the second half and carried the team.

I think Scheyer turned the ball over twice. Once on an inbound pass where he expected a cutter who didn't cut. The second was something he could be faulted on. That makes only 4 turnovers in recent games and a great improvement for us in ball security.

Next up Florida State. I hope that Nolan is ready and that we also give the bigs more time.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

DBR Headline...I wouldn't call it a "Throttling"

We "Throttled" them the first time in Cameron, but tonight I would go more with "Escaped". As everyone has noted it, this game was a hard fought victory and a good one to walk away from with a win. But letting a game that in the first half we had them doubled up get back to even in the closing minutes is scary. The one sign they showed on TV,
    Another
    Blue Devil
    Collapse
    started to seem prescient. I thought KS had one of his better games of late, and Gerald just seems to be on a quest for greater things for this team. I'll chalk it up as another gutsy road win in the ACC, but I'll leave "throttling" for a win that deserves that title.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Another solid win. That is 4 in a row with 3 of the 4 on the road and 2 of the road games in very hostile environments, taking a desperate team's best shot. And both desperate teams were also seeking to avenge a previous beatdown in Cameron. That should end all of the 'Feb collapse talk", at least for awhile.

Impressive. And yet another solid game from Eliot. He had the added pressure of knowing that Nolan could not come in for him if he slipped, drew an assignment against yet another great guard older than him, and flat out shut Delaney down! That was huge in my opinion. If Nolan can come back strong in a few days, this team can go to yet another level.

I thought the offense in the first 15 minutes was really good, as was the defense. I also think the T had a negative impact on Gerald and hurt his play.

I am with Mr. Sumner in that this was a great win to get. This 3 game ACC win streak has gone a long way to keeping us out of a Thursday game in the ACC Tourney. Plus it keeps hope alive for the Reg Season title. 2 more wins and we gain at least a share of the title.

The announcers were bad, the refs were worse, but in the end, another big win for the good guys!

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    How many times have we seen this team pull out to a double digit lead only to give it back? They lose their defensive intensity and there are to many people standing around on offense. It's difficult to maintain the intensity for an entire game, but it would be confidence building for the team to put a few of these games away.
    Two comments. First, this happens all the time, and not just to Duke. Basketball is a game of runs, and teams get, and then yield, double digit leads with frequency. The fact that we get double digit leads that ultimately get chipped away speaks at least as much to our ability to get those leads in the first place, which is a great thing. If the other team is going to make a run, I'd much rather they do it when we have a double digit lead than when we're tied or trailing.

Second, we did put this game away. Just like the Wake game (another double digit lead "given back"). Just like FSU earlier this year. Etc.

And actually, a third comment. We held a lead of at least 7 points (so, three possessions) for all but 23 seconds from the 14:23 point of the first half to the 9:12 point of the second half. Both teams made runs in that span, but for essentially 25 minutes, Duke held at least a three-possession lead on the road. That's really good work at sustaining a lead. From 9:12 to 5:59, Tech went on a 9-2 run. Then we finished 14-7. As road performances against good quality teams go, I'm pretty happy with this one.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Game Thoughts

Excellent win. The Jon Scheyer experiment at PG seems to be working. He is very strong with the ball and having the ball in his hands more has helped his O. Elliot played some impressive D today- really locking down on Delaney who has been a tough matchup. His three after the Coach K tongue lashing was also impressive and gutsy. Va Tech played tough today- mostly Vassallo - who really was hitting some bombs from deep- but the D was there today in critical moments. Winning a close game by making smart basketball plays at the end shows how much this team has matured as a unit. There was a lot of game pressure on Duke when the Hokies made their run- but Duke held them off and hit just enough shots and free throws to get out with a win. Fla State is another tough game but if Duke can pull it out- then they are looking very good moving into tourney time- regardless of what happens in Chapel Hill.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    The announcers were bad, the refs were worse, but in the end, another big win for the good guys!
    I could deal with the refs far easier than I could the announcers. I honestly thought the refs were very kind to Duke. The announcers however were practically cheering for a VT win. Very biased and unprofessional on their part.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I hate Jimmy Dykes.

Not only was he basically a Hokie Homer, but his inane commentary about guarding the high or low shoulder, repeated nearly 700 times, was awful. Worst. Announcer. Ever. He goes into the Duke-Hating Hall of Fame with Packer.

Great win by the team - a gutty performance against Seth's goon squad. Every trip across half court was a mugging - lost in the "Scheyer walked" hysteria was the non-call for some Hokie throwing a vicious elbow at Singler, trying to end his career. I look forward to VT playing in the NIT again - an appropriate place for their junior varsity coach.

The Announcers

I may get flamed for saying this, but I don't think Jimmy Dykes was biased. I also think Brad Nessler is pretty good.
    I think Dykes REALLY loves to see good/great basketball, and, yes, he was very repetitive, but he was simply - and objectively - making observations about what he perceived as a curable shortcoming on VT's part. He is always quite complimentary of Duke's and Coach K's toughness and abilities. I have never heard him disparage Duke one bit. Of course, one will hear what they expect to hear in many instances.

Aside from the repetitiveness, I actually enjoy the pair. They are far from the worst.

Asbestos flame-retardant suit is now in place.

Quote Originally Posted by willowglen View Post
    Anyone else think Greenberg is a coach that gets a tremendous amount out of the talent at Tech? I do.

Tech is also a school that is hard not to like. As mentioned in DBR's pre-game report, their response to the tragedy speaks a lot about the place.

This is tough win against a team that I think are the "good guys".
    I don't dislike the school. But I believe both their football and basketball teams play with a degree of "physicality" that often exceeds the bounds of good sportsmanship. And in my book, Seth Greenberg is the ACC coach I least respect, not only because I am convinced he encourages his players to "rough up" Duke's players (watch the game tape and pay attention to Thompson today), but because no one, including Gary Williams, has been more persistently whiney both during and after games in trying to exploit the "Duke gets all the calls" excuse. In the post-game press conference today, here was Greenberg's predictable explanation of another close loss to Duke:

"We did a great job with the press, get a good trap, and unfortunately could have had a chance to win the game, but the refs didn't see the same walk I saw," Greenberg said.

Sure, Jon should have been called for traveling. But one could just as easily say that there were a number of no-calls that favored the Hokies--like the elbow to Singler and the hacks on Singler in what was called a held ball, which gave possession back to VT. In typical fashion, Greenberg conveniently neglects that if not for those no-calls that went his way, getting a turnover on the Scheyer walk would have been academic, because VT wouldn't have been within 3 points then.

But I suppose blaming the officials for one missed call helps to divert attention from his failure as a coach to teach his players that "a great job with the press" means not letting the opponent's point guard get behind them for an easy breakaway lay-up. Maybe the fact that VT loses so many close games isn't just happenstance or bad luck; maybe their misfortune has something to do with the fact that their coach is way too preoccupied with blaming the refs.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by WeepingThomasHill View Post
    Not only was he basically a Hokie Homer, but his inane commentary about guarding the high or low shoulder, repeated nearly 700 times, was awful. Worst. Announcer. Ever. He goes into the Duke-Hating Hall of Fame with Packer.

Great win by the team - a gutty performance against Seth's goon squad. Every trip across half court was a mugging - lost in the "Scheyer walked" hysteria was the non-call for some Hokie throwing a vicious elbow at Singler, trying to end his career. I look forward to VT playing in the NIT again - an appropriate place for their junior varsity coach.
    What did he say:? "If they do this [adjust their defensive position to deny the baseline]. they will be in good shape in this game." He said this with an approving tone of voice, as though Duke was helpless before his coaching legerdemain, and he truly wanted his boys at VPI to win and make the NCAAT. Really?

Of course, it helped that old A.D. was channeling Oscar Robertson there for about ten minutes. Was that what he really meant? What a loser! No wonder no one will give him a job as an assistant coach at a major program.

sagegrouse

Extremely gutsy win and and well deserved. Having deep concerns about only getting 4 points from a combined 48 minutes from Mcclure, Thomas and Zoubek. This explains why teams can use help in doubling on Henderson and Singlar. These two have to play extra hard because teams at time do not even attempt to guard Thomas and Mcclure. This does not bode well for post season play. Cannot help but believe that our neglect of Plumlee all season will come back to haunt us. I hope to be proven wrong.

This is a really good point

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    I don't dislike the school. But I believe both their football and basketball teams play with a degree of "physicality" that often exceeds the bounds of good sportsmanship. And in my book, Seth Greenberg is the ACC coach I least respect, not only because I am convinced he encourages his players to "rough up" Duke's players (watch the game tape and pay attention to Thompson today), but because no one, including Gary Williams, has been more persistently whiney both during and after games in trying to exploit the "Duke gets all the calls" excuse. In the post-game press conference today, here was Greenberg's predictable explanation of another close loss to Duke:

"We did a great job with the press, get a good trap, and unfortunately could have had a chance to win the game, but the refs didn't see the same walk I saw," Greenberg said.

Sure, Jon should have been called for traveling. But one could just as easily say that there were a number of no-calls that favored the Hokies--like the elbow to Singler and the hacks on Singler in what was called a held ball, which gave possession back to VT. In typical fashion, Greenberg conveniently neglects that if not for those no-calls that went his way, getting a turnover on the Scheyer walk would have been academic, because VT wouldn't have been within 3 points then.

But I suppose blaming the officials for one missed call helps to divert attention from his failure as a coach to teach his players that "a great job with the press" means not letting the opponent's point guard get behind them for an easy breakaway lay-up. Maybe the fact that VT loses so many close games isn't just happenstance or bad luck; maybe their misfortune has something to do with the fact that their coach is way too preoccupied with blaming the refs.
    An honest assessment from Seth would have been "we did a pretty good job with the press and gave ourselves a chance at the end, but then we totally blew it by letting Paulus get that easy layup."

Instead, he blames the ref for not handing them the game.

An honest assessment would have been "we can't put ourselves in the position of being behind with 2 minutes and 1 minute to play and needing a fortunate call from the refs to rescue us. We just didn't do the job today."

Not his style evidently.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rd Dukie View Post
    I may get flamed for saying this, but I don't think Jimmy Dykes was biased. I also think Brad Nessler is pretty good.
    I think Dykes REALLY loves to see good/great basketball, and, yes, he was very repetitive, but he was simply - and objectively - making observations about what he perceived as a curable shortcoming on VT's part. He is always quite complimentary of Duke's and Coach K's toughness and abilities. I have never heard him disparage Duke one bit. Of course, one will hear what they expect to hear in many instances.

Aside from the repetitiveness, I actually enjoy the pair. They are far from the worst.

Asbestos flame-retardant suit is now in place.
    I totally agree with you. Do people expect the announcers to just ignore the totally blatant travel? It was a pretty huge no-call. I rarely/almost never get the impression that announcers are anti-Duke. Len Elmore in the first MD game jumps out at me, but that's about it. People complain about the announcers after every single game. I've noticed that announcers rarely know anything about the players on the team Duke is playing (individual stories/backgrounds), and instead spend a lot of time talking about Duke's guys... no one brings this up. I feel like there is a tendency for announcers (no matter what sport) to get more excited about a possible upset... it's human nature. Ninety percent of the people watching any given game are rooting for an upset. Duke is almost always favored... it just goes with the territory.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeENG2003 View Post
    Good tough win. Tough game from Singler. Glad to have Dave back, he made some key plays down the stretch.

I'm a little angry the ref's missed the blatant elbow to Singler's head that almost knocked him out.
    They didn't play the replay of that one, did they? And Dykes and Nessler didn't have a huge issue with it? That's shocking. Shocking I say!

Quote Originally Posted by should_be_working View Post
    After watching the replay a couple of times, G didn't appear to say anything, he gave him a good stare, but I don't think anything was said

Tough win, just glad to get out of there with a win.
    And shockingly no one pointed out that Vassallo was not T'ed up for staring down Scheyer after a dunk. Dykes missed that one, eh?

To Seth, Jimmy Dykes, the Hokie fans who were hoping to rush the floor, A.D. Vassallo or whomever---

SCOREBOARD

Gripe about the calls, or the bounce of the ball, or whatever...it was another gutsy road win for the Blue Devils.

I missed seeing the elbow to Singler's head. But ESPN was kind enough to replay the travel on "Gameday" and have Coach Knight comment on the blown call.

Sheesh. They just look for things to further the meme that "Duke gets all the calls".

And it's getting so there is more violence in NCAA bball than in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Relics View Post
    I guess it all comes down to the team who takes the most 22% jumpers...
    LOL! Where did Dykes come up with that? And he kept saying it over and over. He sounded like a blabbering idiot today!

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Oh snap! Seth Greenberg just got served.