Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    I agree that somebody should put a finger in the Dkyes, but since he said that Henderson would be much better off returning next year, I will let him off for today. He would be 100% better if he spoke 50% less.

Tough game overall. Duke was outrebounded 39-28 and was outscored on second-chance points 16-4, but we had a 15-4 advantage on points off turnovers, so that was a wash.

Duke only had 5 bench points, but 3 were by Paulus late, and those were actually pretty big. But that also means that Duke only had 2 bench points for the first 38 minutes or so. Of course, McClure (as usual) was better than his stats. Williams did not have a double figure game for the first time in the four February starts, but he still chipped in with 7 points, including a nice three.
    The bench points can't be much of a concern now that Nolan is out. Granted, one more Paulus three would have been nice, but Zoubek, Paulus, and McClure generally aren't going to ring up too many on the scoreboard. I thought Paulus played solidly for the time he was in. he didn't force any shots and took open ones when he did take them, even if he missed his threes tonight.

Great win, Singler is back!

After a couple of games in which Singler wasn't himself, he came in and saved the game. When VT had that amazing rally, Singler pulled a Henderson and put Duke on his back. It was great. I was scared that Singler and burned out like last year, but he probably had a few games where he wasn't himself. He played great of late.

Regarding the Scheyer call, it was clearly a travel. Here is a youtube video of it:
    HTML Code:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3vtLevo44o
    Yes - VT did foul him. But I believe that Scheyer travelled before they began fouling him. Regardless, somebody on every team travels every game which isn't called.

Official Boxscore

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...ATCLID=3681385

Some key stats:
    Delaney scored just 7 points on 2-12 shooting; good job Elliot
    Duke had 9 turnovers compared to 19 by VaTech; another very steady job by Jon handling the ball.

Like what I see in this team

There is a "toughness" in this Duke team that I have not seen in recent years. It seems they refuse to fold. Coach K is doing a great job in getting the most out of his players

I guess it all comes down to the team who takes the most 22% jumpers...

Lightbulb FSU looked strong on defense today in the win over Clemson

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Two ACC wins on the road against dangerous teams desperate for one more signature win for their NCAA resume.

We can quibble about this and that but that's pretty solid in my book. Is there anybody on this board who wouldn't have taken this six days ago?
    I saw the game and was very impressed with FSU's defense the first half.They shut Clemson down.C could not get the ball to Booker the first half.
    Douglas was 4 for 15 from the floor.He is a scorer but takes a lot of shots.

Yes, I am very happy with the last 3 games.I am a little concerned over the upcoming game, as Alabi and Kitchen have been playing well lately.

Bilas picked VT to beat Duke today, joining his pal Hubert Davis, while the bball brain ,Coach Knight, picked Duke to win. Knight does not seem to need approval by sucking up to the anti-Duke cabal.

Best regards---Blueprofessor

22% jumpers

The announcers kept referring to this over and over about Gerald being forced inside in the second half and I do not think they did a very good job of callling the game but then they seemed slanted to VT at least to me.

Bilas Bilas Bilas...sigh

Quote Originally Posted by blueprofessor View Post
    Bilas picked VT to beat Duke today, joining his pal Hubert Davis, while the bball brain ,Coach Knight, picked Duke to win. Knight does not seem to need approval by sucking up to the anti-Duke cabal.

Best regards---Blueprofessor
    IMO, Bilas tries so hard to be unbais that he actually ends up subconciously picking the other teams over and over again. When he commentates, he always gives the other team so much more credit than us. Sigh....

A nice job overall

With a little quiet reflection, it seems to me we did a very nice job in this game. If Vassallo had not hit like 7 or 8 shots in a row from all over the court and pretty well guarded, we would have cruised through to about a 15 point win. That guy is really good, so no shame in him lighting it up for about 4 minutes. But if you look at the overall stats and how well we played defense on Delaney and Allen and Vassallo for most of the game, we played a pretty good game against a good team on their court in (for them) a must-win situation.

We held them to 65 points, 41% shooting overall and 25% three-point shooting. This is good stuff.

One minor point of concern was our three-point shooting in the second half. At the start of that half, it was clear the VT defense was doubling up on Henderson and sagging into the paint to force Duke to shoot 3s. We didn't respond very well to that. But we hung in, we made stops we needed to, we got rebounds we needed, we got big buckets when we needed, we got enough free throws when we needed them and we didn't fold.

I'm happy.

Quote Originally Posted by willowglen View Post
    As mentioned in DBR's pre-game report, their response to the tragedy speaks a lot about the place.
    This thought continues to be expressed without any support. So how did VaTech's handling of the tragedy set them apart from how an N.C. State or a Rutgers, for example, would have handled similar circumstances? I ask the question with some cynicism, of course, but if there has been a truly remarkable response of which I am ignorant, I'd like to know about it.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    72-65... that score warms my heart.
    Jay Bilas predicted the 7 point spread correctly but he picked the wrong team to win.

How many times have we seen this team pull out to a double digit lead only to give it back? They lose their defensive intensity and there are to many people standing around on offense. It's difficult to maintain the intensity for an entire game, but it would be confidence building for the team to put a few of these games away. Especially tough to do on the road and the guys bore down at the end and pulled it out. Nice to see Kyle take charge in the second half after VT defense on Gerald cooled him off. Now it's on to the friendly environs of CIS.

And what is with the schedule of 4 games in 10 days. For the ACC to have scheduled the game on Tuesday is absolutely unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    I agree that somebody should put a finger in the Dkyes, but since he said that Henderson would be much better off returning next year, I will let him off for today. He would be 100% better if he spoke 50% less.

Tough game overall. Duke was outrebounded 39-28 and was outscored on second-chance points 16-4, but we had a 15-4 advantage on points off turnovers, so that was a wash.

Duke only had 5 bench points, but 3 were by Paulus late, and those were actually pretty big. But that also means that Duke only had 2 bench points for the first 38 minutes or so. Of course, McClure (as usual) was better than his stats. Williams did not have a double figure game for the first time in the four February starts, but he still chipped in with 7 points, including a nice three.
    I a curious as to the significance of all those ^ stats? We won the game. The total at the end is the meaningful stat. The others are, IMHO, the concern of VT.

Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Relics View Post
    I guess it all comes down to the team who takes the most 22% jumpers...
    Or better yet, the team that commits more of the 22% turnovers.

Or is it 22% less tough?

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    How many times have we seen this team pull out to a double digit lead only to give it back?
    They didn't give it all back. Unless it's the giving back of the "double digit" aspect of the lead that you're referring to. This was not surprising. VaTech is a pretty good team playing at home. Let's see what they do to unc-ch.

And what is with the schedule of 4 games in 10 days. For the ACC to have scheduled the game on Tuesday is absolutely unnecessary.
    Starting with St. Johns on 02/19 we play a game every three days ending with the FSU game on 03/03. That's five games in 13 days.

We do get some rest before the UNC game though.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Devil View Post
    They didn't give it all back. Unless it's the giving back of the "double digit" aspect of the lead that you're referring to. This was not surprising. VaTech is a pretty good team playing at home. Let's see what they do to unc-ch.
    The double digit lead was given "all" back when VT tied the game but I was using the term indicatively.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Starting with St. Johns on 02/19 we play a game every three days ending with the FSU game on 03/03. That's five games in 13 days.

We do get some rest before the UNC game though.
    I think the rest before the unc game is a very good thing. I hope unc doesn't get any rest.

Objection!

I can't agree with anyone who says its easy to pull for Virginia Tech. I pulled for them for one year, and that was the year where, if if I recall correctly, they had a player get cancer, and another's grandmother (who raised him) died of cancer. There may have been one more tragedy that hit that team. And of course that was the year of Dockery's half court shot, which began their collapse. I legitimately felt bad for that team and pulled for them.

But outside of that one season, I've found their players to be tolerable at best and their coach to be whiny and insecure.

Anyways. Aside from G getting a tech for breathing and a few other "interesting" plays, I was pretty happy with this game. I know people hate seeing us blow big leads, but sometimes that happenes, and the important thing was that we hung on and won in the end. This game was a good test before our last home game of this year, can't wait 'til Wednesday!

I think a very important note on G's second half struggles is this:

When G is on the right wing, he likes to (1) take it baseline, (2) use the screen and drive the lane through contact, (3) use the screen and rise for the pull-up jumper

When G is on the left wing, he likes to (1) take it baseline, (2) use the screen and rise for the pull-up jumper

Notice, G DOES NOT like to take the ball all the way to the hoop when given that driving lane going to his left.

In the second half, The defenders were denying the baseline no matter what and challenging the jumper... practically daring him to drive the lane. The problem is, more often than not, he got the ball on the left wing in the second half. I think an adjustment that we needed to make, but didn't, was to get him the ball on that right side as often as possible.

The double digit lead was given "all" back when VT tied the game but I was using the term indicatively.
    Oops, you're right. I was remembering it only getting down to 2.