Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke 72, Virginia Tech 65 Post-game Thread

72-65... that score warms my heart.

Jon got away with a walk in the only minute of the game I was able to see out west. That call is made very rarely, but the announcers pointed it out, so the anti-Duke campaign might have some more travel material in the next week.

Good tough win. Tough game from Singler. Glad to have Dave back, he made some key plays down the stretch.

I'm a little angry the ref's missed the blatant elbow to Singler's head that almost knocked him out.

Anyone else think Greenberg is a coach that gets a tremendous amount out of the talent at Tech? I do.

Tech is also a school that is hard not to like. As mentioned in DBR's pre-game report, their response to the tragedy speaks a lot about the place.

This is tough win against a team that I think are the "good guys".

We must have won because Jon traveled three times and the refs did not see it.

The announcers were terrible on all fronts today.

G struggled in the 2nd half. But they kept on saying, OH Jump shots are not his shots and its good that they force him to take them....umm, I always recall that outside of dunks, G's standard shot is to drive a short bit, jump and seem to hang before making a shot. That IS his shot. He just was god awful in the 2nd half from the field.

The team needs to work on some endurance drills...they have good first halves and then defensively they fail miserably in the 2nd half, and today, we failed OFFENSIVELY as well.

VT is a good team. They should hang with us. But if we jump into a 16 point lead, we should be able to hold it for double digits the entire game.

(Also, the T on Gerald was sooo awful. He better have said something really out of line. Seriously.)
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

gww,

The announcers ( Jimmy was obsessed with VT today ) were quick to point out the walk, but not quick to point out the three hacks on Jon's arms. Doc

I hope Jimmy Dykes get hired for that assistant coach position at Virginia Tech.

He certainly aced the interview today!

Quote Originally Posted by gwwilburn View Post
    Jon got away with a walk in the only minute of the game I was able to see out west. That call is made very rarely, but the announcers pointed it out, so the anti-Duke campaign might have some more travel material in the next week.
    I thought he was traveling myself, but I also could have sworn he may have been getting pushed a tiny bit.

Regardless, my blood pressure is up. These are the games that this team would lose two months ago. It's good to see them pull out wins in these situations.

Quote Originally Posted by gwwilburn View Post
    They gladly pointed out the walks that weren't called, but not the fouls that weren't called. . .

If I heard one more mention of the "hokey pokey" I thought I'd hurl.

Glad to see that we never fell behind IIRC, even though they tied it up.

GG

Quote Originally Posted by House G View Post
    We must have won because Jon traveled three times and the refs did not see it.
    Well there you go. He was fouled three times before the three travels took place. It balances out.

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    G struggled in the 2nd half. But they kept on saying, OH Jump shots are not his shots and its good that they force him to take them....umm, I always recall that outside of dunks, G's standard shot is to drive a short bit, jump and seem to hang before making a shot. That IS his shot. He just was god awful in the 2nd half from the field.

The team needs to work on some endurance drills...they have good first halves and then defensively they fail miserably in the 2nd half, and today, we failed OFFENSIVELY as well.

VT is a good team. They should hang with us. But if we jump into a 16 point lead, we should be able to hold it for double digits the entire game.
    Yikes...are you kidding?

I'm delighted with this win.

Great second half by Singler; good defense by Elliot Williams; good effort against a tough VaTech team, and Vassallo was shooting lights-out for much of the second half.

Good job, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeENG2003 View Post
    I'm a little angry the ref's missed the blatant elbow to Singler's head that almost knocked him out.
    Agreed, not so much that the refs missed it but more because it was such a dirty play. The guy was not looking at the ball or basket, saw Kyle having a clear path to the basket, and blatantly threw his elbow at Kyle's neck.

The game was not on in my region. So I watched the "play by play" online. Couldn't tell much, except shooting percentages looked mediocre, except for Scheyer. Could someone give a "big picture" overview of strengths and weaknesses?

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by doctorhook View Post
    gww,

The announcers ( Jimmy was obsessed with VT today ) were quick to point out the walk, but not quick to point out the three hacks on Jon's arms. Doc
    If the refs aren't going to call a foul in this situation, when VT is trying to slap the ball away or, failing that, get a foul called to stop the clock, they can't very well call travelling. Pretty standard no-call.

As for the announcers, there were plenty of no-calls on traveling throughout the game that they didn't see fit to make a point of. Oh well. We won.

Quote Originally Posted by 78Devil View Post
    The game was not on in my region. So I watched the "play by play" online. Couldn't tell much, except shooting percentages looked mediocre, except for Scheyer. Could someone give a "big picture" overview of strengths and weaknesses?
    Grant -- er, I meant Gerald -- was on fire in the first half.

Vassallo was a one-man wrecking crew in the second half.

Duke held when it had to.

Part of the Game

Lost in all the "Duke gets all the calls" excuses about the pivot foot at the end of the day is curious jump ball mauling of Singler on the rebound.

Enjoy the journey

Nothing to be disappointed about in a tough road win in the ACC. Enjoy the journey. A win is a win is a win.... we'll take them however we get em.

Jimmy Dykes is like the Steve Melnyk of basketball. Pompous, pretentious, inconsistent, and just repeatedly incorrect in every game. Did Jon walk? Yes. On the other side, the ridiculous T on Henderson received absolutely no comment whatsoever, even after the T turned into 5 VT points.

For a long time, I thought the "Duke get the calls" nonsense was mostly (not completely but mostly) just the purview of a bunch of flaming message boards. It now feels like almost every announcing team feels a duty to call out the missed calls on Duke, but virtually never on the opposing team. Dykes seems especially adept at filling that role.

Best thing for the blood pressure today is to steer clear of any VT boards, since those will certainly rival those from MD, which of course set new standards of hysteria this week.