Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

MBB: Duke 72, Virginia Tech 65 Post-game Thread

72-65... that score warms my heart.

Jon got away with a walk in the only minute of the game I was able to see out west. That call is made very rarely, but the announcers pointed it out, so the anti-Duke campaign might have some more travel material in the next week.

The announcers were terrible on all fronts today.

G struggled in the 2nd half. But they kept on saying, OH Jump shots are not his shots and its good that they force him to take them....umm, I always recall that outside of dunks, G's standard shot is to drive a short bit, jump and seem to hang before making a shot. That IS his shot. He just was god awful in the 2nd half from the field.

The team needs to work on some endurance drills...they have good first halves and then defensively they fail miserably in the 2nd half, and today, we failed OFFENSIVELY as well.

VT is a good team. They should hang with us. But if we jump into a 16 point lead, we should be able to hold it for double digits the entire game.

(Also, the T on Gerald was sooo awful. He better have said something really out of line. Seriously.)
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    G struggled in the 2nd half. But they kept on saying, OH Jump shots are not his shots and its good that they force him to take them....umm, I always recall that outside of dunks, G's standard shot is to drive a short bit, jump and seem to hang before making a shot. That IS his shot. He just was god awful in the 2nd half from the field.

The team needs to work on some endurance drills...they have good first halves and then defensively they fail miserably in the 2nd half, and today, we failed OFFENSIVELY as well.

VT is a good team. They should hang with us. But if we jump into a 16 point lead, we should be able to hold it for double digits the entire game.
    Yikes...are you kidding?

I'm delighted with this win.

Great second half by Singler; good defense by Elliot Williams; good effort against a tough VaTech team, and Vassallo was shooting lights-out for much of the second half.

Good job, guys.

Enjoy the journey

Nothing to be disappointed about in a tough road win in the ACC. Enjoy the journey. A win is a win is a win.... we'll take them however we get em.

The game was not on in my region. So I watched the "play by play" online. Couldn't tell much, except shooting percentages looked mediocre, except for Scheyer. Could someone give a "big picture" overview of strengths and weaknesses?

Quote Originally Posted by 78Devil View Post
    The game was not on in my region. So I watched the "play by play" online. Couldn't tell much, except shooting percentages looked mediocre, except for Scheyer. Could someone give a "big picture" overview of strengths and weaknesses?
    Grant -- er, I meant Gerald -- was on fire in the first half.

Vassallo was a one-man wrecking crew in the second half.

Duke held when it had to.

78Devil,

We came out smoking with G unstoppable, then we lost our offensive flow in the first half. Second half, we let up a little, VT focused on/stopped G and Kyle stepped up on offense. After VT tied it, our defense was great, stopped VT and we gutted it out down the stretch. Good on ball defense all around, particularly Elliot. Good, tough win. Doc

This was just like the BC game. Jump out to a huge lead in the first half and have our way with them (particularly Gerald). Give up some momentum at the end of the first and then really struggle on offense and defense in the second.

The difference this time is that we were able to gut it out. And it was a better team that came back on us -- we weren't giving up points to guys like Trapani, Roche and Reggie Jackson.

Best part of the game was Kyle finding his shot again. Gerald really struggled in the second half, as did Jon in stretches. We have three great scorers, I just wish we could find a way to have them be more efficient in using their offense to create opportunities for their teammates.

Still an excellent win on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    (Also, the T on Gerald was sooo awful. He better have said something really out of line. Seriously.)

After watching the replay a couple of times, G didn't appear to say anything, he gave him a good stare, but I don't think anything was said

Tough win, just glad to get out of there with a win.

Since I'm in Big 12 territory, I had to watch on ESPN 360. Don't know if it was our computer system or theirs, but the screen sure froze often. The game finished at least 10 minutes after y'all started posting about the victory.

Way to hang tough at the end. I'm glad we get all the calls so that we can win. Scheyer did walk, but is it Duke's fault that the refs miss a call?

I'm still shaking my head about the jump ball on Singler's tie up at the end. I thought it should have been a reach in foul, myself.

Enjoy the victory!

Based on what you saw of VT today, what kind of chance will they have against the Holes at home? Will their loss to us deflate them or inspire them?

Quote Originally Posted by should_be_working View Post
    After watching the replay a couple of times, G didn't appear to say anything, he gave him a good stare, but I don't think anything was said

G was penalized for his enthusiasm. That's all I got. He didn't say anything. His reaction on Duke vs. Maryland was a little more then that even and he didn't get a T then.

The win is that much more impressive when you realize we took their best shot from them today. To come out on top the way we did makes it all the sweeter. I knew this game would be a dog fight and I'm not surprised at all they made a run. Vassallo shot the ball out of his mind. Our defense made a few huge stops at the end. Great win, get some rest and try to beat Florida St. It's March now baby.

Quote Originally Posted by should_be_working View Post

And shockingly no one pointed out that Vassallo was not T'ed up for staring down Scheyer after a dunk. Dykes missed that one, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by gwwilburn View Post
    Jon got away with a walk in the only minute of the game I was able to see out west. That call is made very rarely, but the announcers pointed it out, so the anti-Duke campaign might have some more travel material in the next week.
    I thought he was traveling myself, but I also could have sworn he may have been getting pushed a tiny bit.

Regardless, my blood pressure is up. These are the games that this team would lose two months ago. It's good to see them pull out wins in these situations.

17. Quote Originally Posted by dukegirlinsc View Post
    I thought he was traveling myself, but I also could have sworn he may have been getting pushed a tiny bit.

Regardless, my blood pressure is up. These are the games that this team would lose two months ago. It's good to see them pull out wins in these situations.
    I believe Jon was being pushed a lil bit too during his pivotal turns.

These past two months have had my blood pressure up as well, very stressful times and more to come I'm afraid to admit.

Quote Originally Posted by jpfrizzle View Post
    I believe Jon was being pushed a lil bit too during his pivotal turns.
    True. Sorry, I'll get over this now.

Quote Originally Posted by gwwilburn View Post
    They gladly pointed out the walks that weren't called, but not the fouls that weren't called. . .

Jimmy Dykes is like the Steve Melnyk of basketball. Pompous, pretentious, inconsistent, and just repeatedly incorrect in every game. Did Jon walk? Yes. On the other side, the ridiculous T on Henderson received absolutely no comment whatsoever, even after the T turned into 5 VT points.

For a long time, I thought the "Duke get the calls" nonsense was mostly (not completely but mostly) just the purview of a bunch of flaming message boards. It now feels like almost every announcing team feels a duty to call out the missed calls on Duke, but virtually never on the opposing team. Dykes seems especially adept at filling that role.

Best thing for the blood pressure today is to steer clear of any VT boards, since those will certainly rival those from MD, which of course set new standards of hysteria this week.