Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A tough way to get to Canegie Deli

I just saw a commercial on CBS, narrated by Alan Coulter, David Letterman's sarcastic AH of an announcer. CBS is giving away a three day trip to NY City for a free colonoscopy, including free airfare and deluxe hotel accommodations for two (but only one colonoscopy!). If you are between 40 and 79, and meet the other eligibility requirements, you can enter. As I turn 55 this year and am due for this dredded procedure, I figure, what the heck, why not! I hope I'm in the mood for massive quantities of Ymm pastrami at Carnegie the day after "the procedure"!

You can read all about it and enter here www.cbscares.com

I'd wish you all luck, but quite honestly, I want to win this prize but feel obligated to tell y'all about it.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I just saw a commercial on CBS, narrated by Alan Coulter, David Letterman's sarcastic AH of an announcer. CBS is giving away a three day trip to NY City for a free colonoscopy, including free airfare and deluxe hotel accommodations for two (but only one colonoscopy!). If you are between 40 and 79, and meet the other eligibility requirements, you can enter. As I turn 55 this year and am due for this dredded procedure, I figure, what the heck, why not! I hope I'm in the mood for massive quantities of Ymm pastrami at Carnegie the day after "the procedure"!

I'd wish you all luck, but quite honestly, I want to win this prize but feel obligated to tell y'all about it.
    Why am I not surprised?

How many times are you going to enter?

More questions later. Such as: Do you know what "prep" is required for a colonoscopy? I do, but that's grounds for another post...

Several parts of my reply were worthy of additional smilies but the limit of 4 prevented me from using about 10 more...

At least the length and editing time of my reply did not affect the 60 second rule...

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Why am I not surprised?

More questions later. Such as: Do you know what "prep" is required for a colonoscopy? I do, but that's grounds for another post...

Several parts of my reply were worthy of additional smilies but the limit of 4 prevented me from using about 10 more...

At least the length and editing time of my reply did not affect the 60 second rule...
    Per the rules, you can only enter once. Yes, I know what the prep is and they explain it on the web site pretty graphically. DD, we're the same age; are you not going to enter?

Take out orders from Carnegie graciously accepted, as usual, if I win.

My original post is a public service announcement.

9F 9F 9F

No worries, Ozzie! You'll feel like scarfing down a whole pastrami sandwich approximately 4 hours after the procedure. Gotta wait for the anesthesia to wear off then you'll be ravenous which is not too surprising since you'll be thoroughly "cleaned out" !!!

Good luck!! I want a corned beef on challah, ymmm

GTHC!

Why am I not surprised?

Per the rules, you can only enter once. Yes, I know what the prep is and they explain it on the web site pretty graphically. DD, we're the same age; are you not going to enter?

Well I'm not going to enter, and I'm a few years older than both of you guys. More than a few, to be honest about it. I had one about two years ago, and the doctor said I wouldn't need one for 10 years. I rejoiced at hearing that, but I'm gonna' hold him to that promise. Another eight years before I have to go through that dreaded preparation day, again. For anybody that is putting it off, go ahead and get it. More than likely, you'll get the good news, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    Well I'm not going to enter, and I'm a few years older than both of you guys. More than a few, to be honest about it. I had one about two years ago, and the doctor said I wouldn't need one for 10 years. I rejoiced at hearing that, but I'm gonna' hold him to that promise. Another eight years before I have to go through that dreaded preparation day, again. For anybody that is putting it off, go ahead and get it. More than likely, you'll get the good news, too.
    I've always heard "you" should get one every 5 years starting at age 50. 10 years is better!

9F 9F 9F

Hmmm...

I think I will...

If this is what it takes to get stuff from the Carnegie Deli, I'll pass.

Did you do this?

Quote Originally Posted by DukePA View Post
    No worries, Ozzie! You'll feel like scarfing down a whole pastrami sandwich approximately 4 hours after the procedure. Gotta wait for the anesthesia to wear off then you'll be ravenous which is not too surprising since you'll be thoroughly "cleaned out" !!!

Good luck!! I want a corned beef on challah, ymmm

GTHC!
    4 hours later? I was barely awake 4 hours later. I didn't react too well to the anesthesia when I had mine a few years back... they tried to get me to get up/dressed ~30 min after the procedure (I was in another room "resting"). Well I nearly passed out and they literally had to catch me from falling on the floor as I stood up. I stayed for another 90 minutes... my friend drove me home... and I slept for another 2-3 hours.

So 4 hours after the procedure, I was nowhere near ready to go out &/or eat anything.

That being said, I don't like pastrami.

That being said, I'd go to the Carnegie Deli just for the matzo ball soup.

However, I don't fit the criteria, and really, don't consider a colonoscopy as incentive for a trip to Carnegie or vice-versa.

I entered. If I win, I'll bring you a sandwich, Ozzie.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyCA View Post
    I like pastrami, too...

And corned beef...

I like pastrami, too...

And corned beef...
    And one for you, too, DD!

And one for you, too, DD!
    Thank you.

As DD said, thank you!

There are going to be more DBR readers entered than any other group in the country!

9F 9F 9F

As DD said, thank you!

There are going to be more DBR readers entered than any other group in the country!
    And what a pain in the pastrami this sandwich fetching is going to be. . .

And what a pain in the pastrami this sandwich fetching is going to be. . .
    It's a pleasurable mission of mercy! I've done it (buying sammiches to go) several times!

And oh, they only take cash in the store, so you have to have it in hand (or wallet or pocketbook) going in.

9F 9F 9F

I've always heard "you" should get one every 5 years starting at age 50. 10 years is better!
    You young guys don't know how rough it has been on us more experienced folks. I got my first colon exam (we called it the silver stallion) back when I was heading to Viet Nam. It wasn't a colonoscopy, but just a stainless steel scope about ten inches long. It was a new requirement for Marines of my then advanced age. The next one came when I retired from the Corps, and started working at Duke. It was required for all newly hired faculty and staff as part of a comprehensive physical assessment. I think that was part of a study that was to cover several years. They used the same silver stallion. Just a few years later, my primary care guy referred me for a sigmoidoscopic exam, and that was something they recommended every year if polyps were found and removed. It looked to be about six feet long.

Later, the colonoscopy came along, and it looked like it was about one football field in length. That was an annual thing for a while. It later became every three years, then every five years. The last time it was changed to every ten years, but I don't know how general that requirement is. As time went on, the preparation was the worst part of it. For the silver stallion, no preparation, just an enema just before they... Well, you get the picture.

By the time it comes up again in eight years, I probably will have forgotten all about it, which is good. I won't be dreading it all that time. It is the only thing that I know of that can give an early warning of colon cancer. Like other cancers, it can be treated if they find it early enough, and the only way to find it early is with the colonoscopy. In my case, the last two times none of the pre-cancerous polyps were found, so the ten year plan was indicated. Seems that at a certain age the risk diminishes considerably.

Ozzie, for guys and gals your age, the risk is far greater, so get it done whenever they tell you to do it. Better safe than sorry. It's just about 36 hours of something no worse than a fraternity initiation. And have fun in New York, if you are selected.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    Ozzie, for guys and gals your age, the risk is far greater, so get it done whenever they tell you to do it. Better safe than sorry. It's just about 36 hours of something no worse than a fraternity initiation. And have fun in New York, if you are selected.
    Uh, thanks. I think.

9F 9F 9F

It's a pleasurable mission of mercy! I've done it (buying sammiches to go) several times!

And oh, they only take cash in the store, so you have to have it in hand (or wallet or pocketbook) going in.
    I wasn't referring to walking into the store when I said that getting your sandwich was going to be a pain in the pastrami.

I was referring to the experience that the winner of the contest gets to endure.