Singler's contribution to G's and other's success

After reading and digesting the 18 page NYT article regarding just how Battier makes his teammates so much better, etc., I began to apply this aspect of reasoning to the elevation in G's play as of late.

It has already been pointed out on numerous occasions and by a number of people, that Scheyer does many things that contribute to our success that don't show up in the stat sheets, just as Battier does. I totally agree.

Well, after applying the same line of reasoning to many of the player interactions on the Duke team and watching the last few games more cognizant of how the play of one player affects the play of another, I recently became much more aware of how our players have been working together as a team to finally revive what had become, in many a fan's mind, a pretty lethargic offense the past few years.

I am curious to see if others have been noticing what I think has been happening regarding some of Singler's change in style of play when G has the ball, or apparently will become the center of an offensive play. In the past, it appeared to me that Singler seemed to hang around the rim quite a bit more, or move towards the rim more. As G has become more assertive, confident, and down-right deadly, however, it appears to me that Singler may have become more aware of G's intentions on where G plans to focus his attack on the defense.

Try to watch the result of what Singler does when G has the ball under the above mentioned circumstances. Instead of moving towards the basket for a possible offensive rebound on a possible miss, and consequently bringing his own defender with him, he has been moving away from the basket resulting in a more open path to the rim for G. Also, the move appears different than his move away for a possible kick-out by a driving Williams, Smith, Paulus or Scheyer. In those circumstances he appears to be trying to get away from his defender for the open 3 instead of necessarily trying to open up the middle.

In the case of Williams, it appears to me that Singler's moves have contributed to Williams' improvement as a player, also. I think that Williams has learned to become more aware of Singler's different moves during his own drives and dishes more if he sees Singler's man come off him, or continues on when the defender sticks with Singler.

In addition, I think that this is a possible reason Singler's scoring has slightly dropped somewhat in relation to G's.

I expect that because of all the positive pub that Jon gets about what he does on the court with and without the ball to contribute to our success, that we may tend not to notice how others on the team are doing some of the same kind of things.

So, during the next few games, how about some feedback on the above?

I have some more, what I believe to be, interesting observations about other player interactions that I will post in the future if this post creates a constructive discussion----also, some comments on what I believe to be the effects of our intelligent coaching on the maturation of our teams. (If not, I won't post them, and ya'll can continue to ignore most of my input, as in the past.)

ricks

Smile I made it!

Sorry mods, I just got "in the rotation" for the last post and had to revel in my glory.

ricks

You've hit the proverbial nail on the head.

Can't think of much more to add to that at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    After reading and digesting the 18 page NYT article regarding just how Battier makes his teammates so much better, etc., I began to apply this aspect of reasoning to the elevation in G's play as of late.

It has already been pointed out on numerous occasions and by a number of people, that Scheyer does many things that contribute to our success that don't show up in the stat sheets, just as Battier does. I totally agree.

Well, after applying the same line of reasoning to many of the player interactions on the Duke team and watching the last few games more cognizant of how the play of one player affects the play of another, I recently became much more aware of how our players have been working together as a team to finally revive what had become, in many a fan's mind, a pretty lethargic offense the past few years.

I am curious to see if others have been noticing what I think has been happening regarding some of Singler's change in style of play when G has the ball, or apparently will become the center of an offensive play. In the past, it appeared to me that Singler seemed to hang around the rim quite a bit more, or move towards the rim more. As G has become more assertive, confident, and down-right deadly, however, it appears to me that Singler may have become more aware of G's intentions on where G plans to focus his attack on the defense.

Try to watch the result of what Singler does when G has the ball under the above mentioned circumstances. Instead of moving towards the basket for a possible offensive rebound on a possible miss, and consequently bringing his own defender with him, he has been moving away from the basket resulting in a more open path to the rim for G. Also, the move appears different than his move away for a possible kick-out by a driving Williams, Smith, Paulus or Scheyer. In those circumstances he appears to be trying to get away from his defender for the open 3 instead of necessarily trying to open up the middle.

In the case of Williams, it appears to me that Singler's moves have contributed to Williams' improvement as a player, also. I think that Williams has learned to become more aware of Singler's different moves during his own drives and dishes more if he sees Singler's man come off him, or continues on when the defender sticks with Singler.

In addition, I think that this is a possible reason Singler's scoring has slightly dropped somewhat in relation to G's.

I expect that because of all the positive pub that Jon gets about what he does on the court with and without the ball to contribute to our success, that we may tend not to notice how others on the team are doing some of the same kind of things.

So, during the next few games, how about some feedback on the above?

I have some more, what I believe to be, interesting observations about other player interactions that I will post in the future if this post creates a constructive discussion----also, some comments on what I believe to be the effects of our intelligent coaching on the maturation of our teams. (If not, I won't post them, and ya'll can continue to ignore most of my input, as in the past.)

ricks
    Ah, my friend, you've captured the essence of how Duke teams, in general, draw on their intelligence and ability to adjust and refine as the season goes on. Your observations of subtle changes certainly reflects the sort of sophisticated orchestration Dukelifer described with a musical metaphor... Duke's system is like jazz, based on continually changing individual performances which, when done well, produce a complex mix of variations and melody. Each performance is different. (The Carolina system, for example, is more like classical music based in carefully delineated forms or patterns.)

The game with Virginia Tech today will require speed, skill and a determination to win. We expect the Tech guys to play tough. To win, Duke must play a tough minded game capitalizing on every opportunity.

Glass Half Full

I've seen the same thing happening, but a somewhat different interpretation.

Effective dribble penetration can be a great way to get a teammate open for an easy layin or dunk. That's another reason players move toward the rim - to be in a position for a pass, not just a rebound.

My interpretation is, Kyle has figured out that G rarely passes the ball to the rim once he starts his drive. As long as G is so efficient with his drives, it won't matter. But the defense sees what's happening too, and his drives are increasingly becoming 1 on 3 moves.

In G's defense, his overall assist rate is good, and you can see how frustrated he gets when he does try to make an interior pass and it doesn't work. For example, his pass to Plum on the pick & roll a couple games ago - but Plum didn't move toward the rim and the pass went awry.

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    I've seen the same thing happening, but a somewhat different interpretation.

Effective dribble penetration can be a great way to get a teammate open for an easy layin or dunk. That's another reason players move toward the rim - to be in a position for a pass, not just a rebound.

My interpretation is, Kyle has figured out that G rarely passes the ball to the rim once he starts his drive. As long as G is so efficient with his drives, it won't matter. But the defense sees what's happening too, and his drives are increasingly becoming 1 on 3 moves.

In G's defense, his overall assist rate is good, and you can see how frustrated he gets when he does try to make an interior pass and it doesn't work. For example, his pass to Plum on the pick & roll a couple games ago - but Plum didn't move toward the rim and the pass went awry.
    Ummmm... I think the glass is mostly full. G's aggressive play has made it easier on our other players to have good chances to score, not harder. Kyle hasn't had to take on that role lately, and can concentrate more on other aspects of his game.