Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1

    Henderson: ACC POY

    I feel that with three more excellent/clutch performances and 3 Duke wins, G SHOULD BE a lock to win the ACC Player of the Year. He may even have a good arguement if we win two of three and he continues to play the way he has been. There has been no one better in ACC play from mid-season on and I do not expect the trend is going to change. G is dialed in and is flat out playing some sick basketball. Oh and by the way, he seems to have developed into a great team leader right before our eyes. There is no one in the ACC I would rather have right now and what he has done after somewhat of a slow start is deserving of All-American consideration.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Connersville, IN
    Just a question, but is ACC POY based on all season long, including non conference games or are just conference games used in this decision?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    I made the same comment after the game Wednesday night. If the season ended today, I would have to vote Gerald ACC Player of the year.

    I feel Gerald needs to have really good games in 2 of the last 3 regular season games and Duke needs to win at least 2 of those games. If that happens I believe he has a great shot at POY.

    If Duke wins out, then to me it is a done deal. To date he has been the most consistent in league play of all the POY candidates.

    The First-Team All ACC selections are going to be very interesting. It would be criminal if Hansflop makes 1st team, but much to my dismay I almost guarantee it will happen.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    GH is not a lock, but he is a serious contender. Let the cards fall where they may, if it doesn't happen at least he knows he has earned real consideration. It's his for the pre-season taking next year.
    Mmmm, BBQ!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    The ACC POY race is as wide open as I can remember it. I think G is in the discussion, but it's far from a lock, in my mind. Gerald, Tyrese Rice, Beaker, Lawson, Teague, McClinton, Vasquez, Toney Douglas, and Trevor Booker all probably have legitimate cases.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Texas/NC
    I'm borderline rooting against him... I really really really want to see a team with Juniors Nolan Smith and Kyle Singler with Seniors Singler, Scheyer, and Thomas and with Plumlee and Williams a year older.

    For whatever reason, my little mind believes that if Henderson doesn't win any individual honors this year (especially if a Tarheel wins ACC POY) and feels cheated, he might just come back next year to wreak havoc on the Corpse of Carolina and the rest of the ACC. Of course this is provided that we don't make the Final Four. If we do, Bye Bye.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Please pardon my ignorance, but who determines the ACC PoY: coaches, selected media, others? I ask because -- regardless of the merits -- that may be fundamental to who is selected. Incidentally, I agree with those who suggest that G’s performance has been outstanding and warrants serious PoY consideration, but he is certainly not a “lock” (Hansbrough, Rice, Lawson, Teague, Douglas, Booker, and others).

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    The official All-ACC, POY, All-Defensive teams, Freshman of the Year, and Coach of the Year awards are determined by the Atlantic Cost Sports Media Association. The deadline for voting is March 8, i.e. before the tournament. The All-ACC team is NOT position-specific. There are no specific guidelines linking team success or conference v. non-conference games to the voting. It is up the leanings and the competence of the electorate.

    Al Featherston had a (typically) very nice article in a recent issue of the ACC Area Sports Journal discussing the vagaries over the years of the POY voting.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    I'm borderline rooting against him... I really really really want to see a team with Juniors Nolan Smith and Kyle Singler with Seniors Singler, Scheyer, and Thomas and with Plumlee and Williams a year older.

    For whatever reason, my little mind believes that if Henderson doesn't win any individual honors this year (especially if a Tarheel wins ACC POY) and feels cheated, he might just come back next year to wreak havoc on the Corpse of Carolina and the rest of the ACC. Of course this is provided that we don't make the Final Four. If we do, Bye Bye.
    Hmmm... we have Junior Kyle Singler and Seniors Singler... I assume the second Singler should have been Henderson? Or am I missing someone else?

    Frankly, I think ACC POY will play a minute role in G's decision to stay or go.

    That said, I very much want him to stay.
    DukeDevilDeb

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by DUKIE V(A) View Post
    I feel that with three more excellent/clutch performances and 3 Duke wins, G SHOULD BE a lock to win the ACC Player of the Year. He may even have a good arguement if we win two of three and he continues to play the way he has been. There has been no one better in ACC play from mid-season on and I do not expect the trend is going to change. G is dialed in and is flat out playing some sick basketball. Oh and by the way, he seems to have developed into a great team leader right before our eyes. There is no one in the ACC I would rather have right now and what he has done after somewhat of a slow start is deserving of All-American consideration.

    Gerald Henderson is having a great year, but the award is player of the YEAR.

    The top canidates for me are Douglas, Lawson, and Henderson.

    But Toney Douglas is in the top ten of most individual categories in the ACC.

    He's the second leading scorer, and he's a do it all guy.

    He has individually lead FSU to one of their best seasons of the decade. In my mind he is the ACC POY, and Coach Hamilton is the ACC COY.

    But I do think that Lawson and Henderson have a good chance as well.

    But for the full body of work, it has to be Douglas.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Texas/NC
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilDeb View Post
    Hmmm... we have Junior Kyle Singler and Seniors Singler... I assume the second Singler should have been Henderson? Or am I missing someone else?

    Frankly, I think ACC POY will play a minute role in G's decision to stay or go.

    That said, I very much want him to stay.
    uhhh, yah. My bad. You know what I mean.

    Basically, Team Awesome.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfpackdevil View Post
    Gerald Henderson is having a great year, but the award is player of the YEAR.

    The top canidates for me are Douglas, Lawson, and Henderson.

    But Toney Douglas is in the top ten of most individual categories in the ACC.

    He's the second leading scorer, and he's a do it all guy.

    He has individually lead FSU to one of their best seasons of the decade. In my mind he is the ACC POY, and Coach Hamilton is the ACC COY.

    But I do think that Lawson and Henderson have a good chance as well.

    But for the full body of work, it has to be Douglas.
    I agree, I think it is going to be Douglas. POY often comes down to statistics, and he is putting up great numbers. I do think G is the most talented player in the league right now, but he just isn't asked to do as much or get as many touches as Douglas.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyalBlue08 View Post
    I agree, I think it is going to be Douglas. POY often comes down to statistics, and he is putting up great numbers. I do think G is the most talented player in the league right now, but he just isn't asked to do as much or get as many touches as Douglas.
    His numbers aren't any better than Teague's or Hansbrough's. G is averaging 20 pts/game in ACC play on 51 percent shooting in ACC play... Douglas' FG% in ACC play is 43%. FSU lost to Duke... Douglas had 18 (7-23), Henderson had 25 (9-14). No way Douglas deserves it over Henderson.

  14. #14
    My top 5 players for ACC POY:

    Lawson - UNC's MVP. 16 pts/gm on the year, 6 assists... but his defense has killed them in their losses. He was lit up by Teague, Vasquez, and Rice for their 3 losses. Major negative against him.

    Henderson - 20.1 pts/gm in ACC play, 16 pts and rising on the year. Led his team to 2nd place in the ACC (so far). No major negatives, he started out kind of slow, but if you look at it, he only has 4 games under double-digit scoring all year. Not bad.

    Teague - Started out well in league play, but has been only marginal lately compared to before. He needs several big games in a row to win it. 20 pts/gm on the year.

    Douglas - 20 pts/gm on the year, but 43% fg %. Not very efficient. Led his team to a good season, but no wins over UNC/Duke/Wake. The last 3 games will be important for him.

    Hansbrough - Good stats, but he was never the difference-maker on UNC (Lawson is). He was bad in all of the losses and not great in the Duke game, where Lawson torched Duke. I can only see giving him the award if everyone else has terrible games down the stretch and he starts dropping 30+ every time.

    Right now I'd have trouble voting between Lawson and Henderson. I think the last 3 games will make the difference, especially the UNC/Duke game.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, MA
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfpackdevil View Post
    The top canidates for me are Douglas, Lawson, and Henderson.
    These are the three guys - I have no idea how to separate them at this point. They're all kind of tied to me and all good choices. Teague, Hansbrough, Rice, McClinton are all a step behind (and Vasquez is way behind - he's been disappointing most of the year).

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Boca Grande Florida
    UNC leads the conference, and every team that plays UNC begins their game plan trying to figure out how to stop TH, not Lawson. While it's hard to get any respect for him from fans, the opposing coaches seem to understand. TH is easily first team all Acc.

    Lawson has had some big games, and been pretty consistant. He should be all acc as well.

    Add McClinton and Teague, IMO.

    If I had to vote today, I would vote for Henderson as POY. He's been a leader by example and a stud on the floor against anyone matched up against him in the league.
    Wheat/"/"/"
    "An angry man catches no fish"-Zen proverb.

Similar Threads

  1. Expectations for Henderson
    By gw67 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 10-29-2008, 05:03 PM
  2. Come on Mr. Henderson
    By The1Bluedevil in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 02-14-2008, 04:54 PM
  3. Henderson and the NBA
    By houstondukie in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 01-29-2008, 01:49 AM
  4. Henderson
    By Chard in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-01-2007, 04:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •