Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

WBB: Duke 81, North Carolina 79 (OT)

I usually wouldn't post so early for a women's game, but I'm excited. I just read this on GoDuke.com.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    "Looking For A Sellout...
    By the time Duke and North Carolina tip off on Sunday afternoon, the Duke Ticket Office is expecting to have a sellout crowd of 9,314 fans. As of Friday afternoon, there were only 400 tickets remaining for the contest. If the game is sold out, it would mark the 12th sellout in school history and the first time this season."
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    If you don't have a ticket and are close enough to be there, get online and get a ticket, or show up game day and get one from someone who has extras. We neeeeeed Cameron loud as it can be. Get ready for a great game, and help say goodbye and thanks so much to some special seniors. 15 minutes before tipoff, Abby Waner, Chante Black and Carrem Gay will be honored for their excellent contributions to Duke basketball. If all goes well, we'll hear them after the game too.
    The ladies had them on the ropes early in Chapel Hell, but we all know how that turned out, very similar to the recent Maryland game. Show up and join us in a rousing rendition of GO TO HELL CAROLINA, and help cheer on the women in their last home game of the season. Maybe us DBR folks can figure out a way to meet up at half time, too. GO DUKE, GTHC!!!!!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I too hope lots of Duke fans come. We're going, Duke PA should be ok by then to come, have spoken to several people who have tickets & will be there. Meeting @ 1/2 time would be fun.

GTCH GTHC GTHC

GO DUKE!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Oh yeah..great photo here from goduke.com

Those smiles are gonna kick some tarheel azzes.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Today is the day! 5PM on FSN. GO DUKE!!!
    !!!GTHC!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Today is the day! 5PM on FSN. GO DUKE!!!
    !!!GTHC!!!
    My onscreen guide (Comcast) lists the game at 6:00 tonight. My women's sched lists the game at 5:00. Is there any change or is the TV sched wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    My onscreen guide (Comcast) lists the game at 6:00 tonight. My women's sched lists the game at 5:00. Is there any change or is the TV sched wrong?
    It's at 5. That's what my tickets and goduke.com says.

Any further thoughts on meeting up at halftime? We'll be there, as always.

Duke-UNC Women Round 2 In Game Thread

There's seriously no thread for this yet?

Anyhow, once again a solid 1st half. Now if we can continue this in the 2nd half....

Keep up the rebounding girls.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Half

A 40-32 halftime lead is very encouraging. Black and Waner are a combined 3/16 and Duke still scored 40, so that's pretty good.

Duke has had second-half problems against Carolina and Maryland away, but senior day at Cameron is a completely different story.

67-67 ot

After a 40-32 lead at halftime, Duke had more second-half problems and was outscored 35-21 to fall behind 67-61 with under a minute and a half left. Duke then scored three baskets to tie it up and force overtime.

One of the reasons I've never really been able to get into women's basketball is that play is, in general, quite sloppy. Tonight, sadly, hasn't done much to kill my stereotypical thoughts. Really, really sloppy play in the second half. Great shot by Abby, though--we're at the line up two with twenty and change left. Go Duke!

Duke 81-79

Gutsy win!

A hearty Hoorah! for Jasmine Thomas.

Well, that was exciting. Nice games for Carrem Gay and Jasmine Thomas.

Abby so crazy. Hit her first shot, miss the next fourteen, hit her last shot.

Waner

With Duke down 76-75, Abby made a clutch three with 46 seconds left to give Duke a 78-76 lead. Considering that she was 1/15 at that point, not to mention 1/8 on three pointers, that was one to quit on. Cheek was 1/9 and Black 2/9, which means the three of them were 5/34 (14.7%).

Say all you want about the turnovers, but this game was great to watch. The six point comeback with under two minutes, Jasmine Thomas singularly taking over OT, and Abby's shot, all on Senior Night. Awesome win, but of course there are still things to be concerned about of course.

Pulled that out of a hat

It's great to win, but let's be honest: Carolina had more than 30 turnovers in regulation. How do you not win in regulation?
    GTHC

Smile Mirabile Dictu

I had given up hope, and then Abby hits a three. Great for her, great for Duke, and bad for Sylvia Hatchell. Sounds like a trifecta to me.

sagegrouse

No points for technical merit or artistic impression.

However, this is not figure skating.

Tremendous gut-check performance by Duke down the stretch and in overtime. I nearly left the room when Carolina built a six-point lead and seemed to have all the momentum.

Somehow, I don't think "let DeGraffenreid do whatever she wants" is a defensive game plan that is likely to be successful twice. Although "iso for whoever is being guarded by DeGraffenreid, and let her operate" seems like a keeper. Jasmine just lit her up.

Horrifying decision making by Abby, even though it went in. Option A in that situation is ball fake and go baseline. Option B is pull it out, and go iso on DeGraffenreid. Launch from in front of the bench isn't even Option C.

Playing well when it counts

No matter what- this was going to be a close game and Duke found a way to win. This is what tourney time is all about- playing well in the last few minutes. This Duke team goes 8 minutes without a filed goal and gets the game into OT. Abby Waner who missed 15 or so shots in a row- hits a transition three to put Duke ahead for good after Jasmine Thomas hits clutch shot after clutch shot. This Duke team can make a run- because they can win ugly games and play D when it counts.