Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Re: Vasquez being booed

I was at that game. I've heard the story told in every possible way, but the truth is there was a student in section 112 (courtside) that was heckling him throughout the game. If you notice, he directs his attention to this one particular student. Basically he was yelling racial epithets and him and mocking the hell out of him. At one point Greivis turned to the kid, told him to shut the f- up. While I don't condone what he did (and Gary gave him a talk after the game), I can definitely understand his reaction. As for older alumni who may boo him - I have no answer to that. Some people just don't like him I guess. Just wanted to make note that the boo-ing has been greatly exaggerated, and its a shame that such a small minority of vocal fans create a negative image of the overall fanbase. Then again, this is what we're used to.

With regard to Vasquez being booed...

Well, he DID say he liked the hostile crowds on the road...maybe they were just trying to oblige him, thinking it would make him play better?

Vaquez is from S. America isn't he? He may have a slightly different frame of reference. Maybe SI should send the author of this toughest crowd article to a Boca Juniors game, wearing the opposing teams colors. There was also that soccer player that scored the own goal in the world cup, was he columbian? His home fans were very hostile toward him if I recall correctly.

The Maryland fans were complaining about Duke bias when they were number one on the toughest places to play. Come On!

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Folks, please keep it on topic. This thread is to discuss the overall quality of SI journalists and/or what the nation's toughest crowds are, not to make fun of Seth's predictions in particular.
    Ok, how about: SI, one of the five toughest publications to take seriously especially in regard to predictions,, and not to name one (seth) writer, or point the finger at anyone in (davis) particular. Better?

Quote Originally Posted by OJD88 View Post
    Just curious, where would you rank ACC arena's? You could argue certain places may have advantages over the other, but just generally speaking...I think my list would start off something like: CIS, Comcast, RBC...Dean Dome...
    RBC Center #3? My driveway's more intimidating than that place. I don't find the Smith Center particularly imposing either, though it can get loud. The dark horse in the ACC is Littlejohn Coliseum, with its scary combination of noise and purple.

Tallahassee intimidates me as a listener, with the guy that always sits directly behind the announcers and his constant stream of obscenities that are as never-ending as is seemingly this far too wordy sentence.

Wow what happened here??? Guys need to settle down and play some defense.

It's kind of difficult to be considered one of the toughest crowds (whatever that entails) when you can't consistently pack your stadium. There were a couple of times this year when I was watching a Md home game, and it just felt empty...a magnitude below the intensity of the games last week. This is a picture from earlier in the year against BC:

The team deserves better than that. (I have to admit, I actually like the players on Md this year. I hope they make the tournament.)
    Attached Images Attached Images