Charting Duke vs. Maryland (II)

There are a few interesting nuggets to chew on after this game:
    -Duke didn't score a point without Jon Scheyer in the game, and got outscored by six in the three minutes he sat.
    -In the three minutes Henderson sat, Duke gave up 11 points and got outscored by seven.
    -As well as Elliot Williams played (and I actually voted for him for MOTM), Duke only outscored Maryland by four in his 31 minutes. In the other nine minutes, Duke was +7.
    -Dave McClure is still valuable. Duke's big run came when he subbed in for Lance Thomas with the score tied at 58-58. Duke was up 72-64 when K went back to the bench to bring in Paulus for FT shooting.
    -Speaking of Paulus, something should be said for the fact that the old, standard lineup of Paulus-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Zoubek was +5 in two stints. But I don't think Paulus was the real catalyst with that group. I think it was ...
    -Zoubek. Say what you will, but we've seen enough of a trend over the course of the season to conclude that, at the very least, he tends to help when he's on the floor. And it's not a big stretch to say that Duke plays its best when he's out on the court. I know he can be frustrating to watch at times. I know that he makes obvious mistakes (not finishing the play at the end of the half, losing Neal on a miscommunication for an easy layup, silly fouls), but for whatever reason, Duke tends to score more points than its opponents when he's in the game. Why? I can't say for certain. My best guess is that his size alone makes everyone else's jobs easier. I'm not saying he needs to play huge minutes, or even half the game. But I think it's important that he remains a part of the rotation, even if that's at the expense of Plumlee. Fact is, for all of Plumlee's flashes, Duke has only outscored its opponents by seven points this season when he's in the game.
    -The number of stints for Scheyer-Williams-Henderson-McClure-Singler and Paulus-Scheyer-Williams-Henderson-Singler are misleading because of the offense/defense subs at the end.
    Anyway, on to the numbers ...

Individuals
    Gerald Henderson 74-56 (+18)
    Jon Scheyer 78-61 (+17)
    Kyle Singler 76-63 (+13)
    David McClure 21-15 (+6)
    Elliot Williams 55-51 (+4)
    Brian Zoubek 18-15 (+3)
    Lance Thomas 30-29 (+1)
    Greg Paulus 26-26 (0)
    Miles Plumlee 7-10 (-3)
    Nolan Smith 5-9 (-4)

Per 40 Minutes
    David McClure +20
    Gerald Henderson +19.5
    Jon Scheyer +18.4
    Brian Zoubek +15
    Kyle Singler +14.1
    Elliot Williams +5.2
    Lance Thomas +2.2
    Greg Paulus 0
    Miles Plumlee -40
    Nolan Smith -40

Lineups
    Scheyer-Williams-Henderson-McClure-Singler (x6) 14-7 (+7)
    Scheyer-Williams-Henderson-Singler-Thomas (x5) 23-18 (+5)
    Paulus-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Zoubek (x2) 12-7 (+5)
    Paulus-Scheyer-Williams-Henderson-Singler (x4) 4-2 (+2)
    Paulus-Scheyer-Henderson-McClure-Singler 2-0 (+2)
    Scheyer-Williams-Henderson-Singler-Zoubek 4-3 (+1)
    Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-McClure-Singler 3-2 (+1)
    Scheyer-Williams-Henderson-McClure-Thomas 2-2 (0)
    Paulus-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Plumlee 2-2 (0)
    Paulus-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Thomas 2-2 (0)
    Smith-Scheyer-Williams-McClure-Singler 0-0 (0)
    Paulus-Williams-Henderson-McClure-Thomas 0-0 (0)
    Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Zoubek 2-3 (-1)
    Paulus-Scheyer-Williams-Singler-Plumlee 1-2 (-1)
    Paulus-Scheyer-Williams-Singler-Thomas (x2) 3-5 (-2)
    Scheyer-Williams-Henderson-Singler-Plumlee 4-6 (-2)
    Paulus-Smith-Williams-McClure-Singler 0-2 (-2)
    Paulus-Smith-Williams-McClure-Zoubek 0-2 (-2)
    Paulus-Williams-Henderson-Singler-Thomas 0-2 (-2)

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    -Zoubek. . . . he tends to help when he's on the floor.
    This is a good example of K playing someone at the right time. He tends to play Z when he can make a (positive) difference. He tends to keep him on the bench when he would be beat.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    This is a good example of K playing someone at the right time. He tends to play Z when he can make a (positive) difference. He tends to keep him on the bench when he would be beat.
    Fair point. The Wake game was definitely too fast for him (although you could make an argument that he might have helped keep Wake from getting to the rim at will in the second half). Similarly, Greg Monroe would have been a really tough matchup, and K pulled him from the starting lineup.

I agree with both of you. There are games where the opposing center is going to make alternating only Lance/Dave a definite disadvantage where Zoubek is the proper choice for 15 or so minutes.

I totally agree about Zoubek having a big impact on the game. It's most obvious against smaller teams, but his general presence in the paint completely changes what opposing teams do on offense. We give up a ton of points on drives to the basket off of defensive switches or screens, and when the person driving to the basket knows that a giant 7'1" guy with his arms up is waiting there, it definitely affects them. He alters shots, blocks shots, and is our most efficient rebounder per minute (it's not even close). The problems come when he gets too far away from the basket. I've always thought that K should use some kind of defense that takes advantage of Z's height and allows him to be completely chained to the post. The same needs to be done for Plumlee... right now he plays much shorter than he is, not like a shot-blocking center, which he is very effective at. He is much quicker and more athletic than Z, but he hasn't learned to use his height and long reach as effectively.

Edit: I think Zoubek should be used with a different defense just to mix things up a bit. I think teams get into a groove against us after they figure out our defense and we don't mix it up. This was really evident against St. John's.

Seems like the plus minus with Henderson is starting to match what you see from him. Earlier, he had some great games with only decent plus minuses for whatever reason. Lately, not only has he been playing great but his plus minuses have been amongst the top of the team.

The discussion here about Zoubek is slightly amnesiac; I thought the clear consensus here reached early in the season was that Zoubek would be a contributor, but that his contributions would depend on favorable matchups.

Jumbo's right again

Jumbo makes an excellent point regarding Zoubek's contribution in the md game. Brian played 8 mins with 4 pts, 4 rebs, 1 block and zero TOs. Lance in 18 mins had: 1 pt, 2 rebs, 2 steals not exactly how he had been playing going into this game. Praise to Coach K for his adjustments during the game: Using Brian, using Miles early to see what he could expect from him, subbing Greg and Dave at the end of the game (offense & defense). Coach K looks as excited as I've seen him in a while with this team. Thanks Jumbo. Go Duke!

9. Not only is Zoubek valuable as a potential shot blocker (or at the very least, a shot blocking threat which is often enough), but I also think he gives the team a different look offensively.

Against teams that sag to prevent the drive, how often do you see our team passing on the perimeter over and over trying to find an opening? With Z in the paint, our players can pass into him and try to cut. It's a different look that usually results in better ball movement.