Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    So I love "And Duke opens in man-2-man!" Bill Raftery

I got criticized on the online chat Sunday but I also like Tim Brando. Brando also gives alot of interviews on local radio shows here and is always straightforward with his comments on the game and the ACC. And in my view he does not appear to show any homerism towards any ACC team.

Like others I always enjoyed games that Brad Daugherty called as well.

Quote Originally Posted by coldriver10 View Post
    haha, I love Mike Patrick. Not because he says the most eloquent things but because he has the perfect voice for commentating.
    I disagree... Mike Patrick is awful! And I don't give a rat's patootie if he's had health issues... Hang 'em up! He doesn't know players names... Can't follow the basic action on the court... I mute it whenever Patrick is doing play-by-play, regardless of who is doing color--yes, he sucks that bad!

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    I disagree... Mike Patrick is awful! And I don't give a rat's patootie if he's had health issues... Hang 'em up! He doesn't know players names... Can't follow the basic action on the court... I mute it whenever Patrick is doing play-by-play, regardless of who is doing color--yes, he sucks that bad!
    haha, I don't disagree that he doesn't know what he's talking about. I just meant I love his voice.

That sounds kinda creepy, doesn't it?
    T '05, SOM '10

• Bob Harris
    • Verne Lundquist
    • Jim Nance
    • Dan Bonner
    • Al McGuire

After last night's TERRIBLE announcing by Patrick, who runs over anybody he works with, I've decided that Brando and Gminski are the best. Measured, humorous and spot on with their comments.
    You're welcome!

Woody Durham.

I have to give a shout out to Beth Mowins as well, particularly since she was my classmate in college.

I owe Mike Patrick my user name, but normally I can't stand him. If I ever watch one of his games I know that I'll eventually hear "Holy Cow!" Give me Raftery or G-man any day.

I can't say I'm a huge fan of anyone in particular, but I've enjoyed Bobby Knight lately. I'm just getting to the point to where I can't tolerate Jay Bias.

And thank god Mr. Packer is no longer with us.

Smile The grouseman's take

Here are my favorites in no particular order:

Bill Raftery is a cheery guy who treats basketball like it's a game, not life and death. Ah, refreshing.

My homeboy Verne Lundquist, who is a really good guy and doesn't get in the way of the game, whether it is football, hoops or golf. He even dealt good-naturedly with Billy Packer for over a decade.

The G-man, who comes across as slightly bemused and above it all; it works for him.

Jay Bilas is as crisply analytical and intelligent as anyone in the business. I am always pleased when he is on a game. Lighten up a bit, however, Jay.

Bob Knight -- I'm really getting hooked on his commentary. Why do I feel that we are just two or three weeks away from a total meltdown? I guess that's part of the attraction.

Those are the ones that come to mind.

sagegrouse
    'I don't feel like ragging on the miscreants, who are numerous'

I found Coach Knight's insights refreshing. It is nice to hear from someone who knows so much about the game.

My favorite of all time is the late Chick Hearn who was a local announcer for the Los Angeles Lakers. I enjoy a play-by-play announcer which is rare on tv these days. Chick is credited with coining the terms "air ball" and "slam dunk".

"This game's in the refrigerator: the door is closed, the lights are out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard, and the Jell-O's jigglin'!"

Dickie vvvvv babyyyy

Quote Originally Posted by dukemath View Post
    I found Coach Knight's insights refreshing. It is nice to hear from someone who knows so much about the game.

My favorite of all time is the late Chick Hearn who was a local announcer for the Los Angeles Lakers. I enjoy a play-by-play announcer which is rare on tv these days. Chick is credited with coining the terms "air ball" and "slam dunk".

"This game's in the refrigerator: the door is closed, the lights are out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard, and the Jell-O's jigglin'!"
    Uhh...Hearn is the popcorn machine guy, but he certainly did not invent the term 'air ball.' It was in use in the Fifties, if not before, common to ballplayers everywhere. It was used in the DIS in 1960 for sure and I heard it as a high schooler in Colorado before that and in summer camp in upstate New York before that. Chick no doubt heard it from ballers. Plus I doubt he was the first announcer to ever use it. And, I bet he never used it while announcing for Southern Cal. His flamboyance was a Laker thing.

Dunno about 'slam dunk,' either, though it came later. Again a baller's phrase, so he probably heard that on the floor, too. And, yes, I know what Wiki says. But Hearn had been around college basketball for a long time before he got to the Lakers and I have no doubt he knew what the players said to each other. h-o-r-s-e is an easy game to play and even easier to razz each other over.
    Last edited by Jim3k; 02-27-2009 at 04:10 AM. Reason: added summer camp reference

I like Dan Bonner

... as a color commentator. Can't recall in the occasional threads re announcers whether he's been much mentioned, but over the years I've come to think of him as among the best. He's jovial, but not cloyingly silly; he seems to have fun talking about what's happening, and his analysis pretty much makes sense. Doesn't seem full of himself. He jokes around a bit, not too much, and always seems to be laughing with the play/players he's discussing, not at them.

You agree, disagree?

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Presently: Coach Knight is terrific.

Fantasy: Al Maguire and Jim Valvano for just one game. Of course they would not be talking about the action much, but who cares...just once.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    ... as a color commentator. Can't recall in the occasional threads re announcers whether he's been much mentioned, but over the years I've come to think of him as among the best. He's jovial, but not cloyingly silly; he seems to have fun talking about what's happening, and his analysis pretty much makes sense. Doesn't seem full of himself. He jokes around a bit, not too much, and always seems to be laughing with the play/players he's discussing, not at them.

You agree, disagree?
    I've always liked Bonner but he has one of the goofiest grins I've ever seen. He's never annoyed me during a game though.

Knight and Lundquist are very good. I really used to like Billy Packer and Jim Thacker in the JP days, but Packer got way to bitter toward the end.

Bonner said one of the dumbest things last night. It happened when McClure got called for an illegal screen/block. The reply showed that it was a bad call, so Bonner said "You can't just go up to a guy and lean on him when setting a screen, you have to give him room. I think that is why they called the foul" Really? I always thought the idea of setting a screen was to not give the guy room. Is it really a screen if you set it 3 feet from the guy??