DBP: Cameron is Loud

http://www.dukeblueplanet.com/blog.asp?pid=384

This is really cool. They measured the Decibels in Cameron last night. Not too shabby.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    http://www.dukeblueplanet.com/blog.asp?pid=384

This is really cool. They measured the Decibels in Cameron last night. Not too shabby.
    It was not painful from an audiology standpoint last PM but it did take the headache a while to resolve after leaving CIS yesterday. It was special.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    It was not painful from an audiology standpoint last PM but it did take the headache a while to resolve after leaving CIS yesterday. It was special.
    IMO, it was louder than the unc game. The upper level seemed way more vocal and it was really good for the unc. It had to be Coach K's motivationial stance. I loved it! Hope its at least that good for fsu. GO DUKE!!!

I don't think it was as loud as the UNC game. OR as packed.

The game once again had (from a fan's point of view) a rather poor attending of fans it seemed to me. When the doors opened, the place was hardly full, and by the time game started I think we had hit normal capacity. That was good.

But fans were not Jammed in there and it was not as eagerly attended at first, which annoys me tremendously. At 430, the HLM even sent out a message saying that there were only 120 groups in line, which was rather pathetic (Me and my partner got on line at 930).

Now, the place was ROCKING, and it certainly helped that G set us up crazy and we never were behind after that huge run, but it was certainly not as loud or as packed as it was for the UNC game, though that crowd did get deflated for...obvious reasons in the 2nd half.

EDIT: I don't mean to be a killjoy. Cameron is ALWAYS rocking. But we can and SHOULD do better.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Not a killjoy

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post

The game once again had (from a fan's point of view) a rather poor attending of fans it seemed to me. When the doors opened, the place was hardly full, and by the time game started I think we had hit normal capacity. That was good.

But fans were not Jammed in there and it was not as eagerly attended at first, which annoys me tremendously. At 430, the HLM even sent out a message saying that there were only 120 groups in line, which was rather pathetic (Me and my partner got on line at 930).

Now, the place was ROCKING, and it certainly helped that G set us up crazy and we never were behind after that huge run, but it was certainly not as loud or as packed as it was for the UNC game, though that crowd did get deflated for...obvious reasons in the 2nd half.

EDIT: I don't mean to be a killjoy. Cameron is ALWAYS rocking. But we can and SHOULD do better.
    Your right, It was not a loud for part of the 2nd half. I sit behind the team, row O. People in my section were great. Guess I heard the noise different. For sure, we all liked the game so much better than the last.

Great Post! and I agree totally. The people that were there were quite loud, but there was an expanse of open seats on both sides of the student section on the pep band side. Not close to the Carolina game either.

We had the decibel meter for the UNC game, too. The loudest it got was 115 dB after a Greg Paulus 3 during the first half. Like UNC, the first half last night was consistently louder because of the scoring runs we had. Even though the student section was not as jammed as UNC, those that showed were terrific and actually exceeded the loudest UNC moment by 1 dB.

Quote Originally Posted by lifelongdevil View Post
    Great Post! and I agree totally. The people that were there were quite loud, but there was an expanse of open seats on both sides of the student section on the pep band side. Not close to the Carolina game either.
    I don't get to attend many games, but I was surprised to see the two open areas in the student section. This isn't the norm for ACC games is it?

Glad this post is here, because on TV without sound, it didn't look crazy much at all. I was especially surprised that when Coach was waving his arms at the crowd to make noise, only about 50% of the students seemed to be jumping up and down. I guess they were cheering though. Shows what you get from just watching it on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    I don't get to attend many games, but I was surprised to see the two open areas in the student section. This isn't the norm for ACC games is it?
    I'd love to say it isn't, but this year the fans have been....inconsistant.

Case in point: Davidson packed full. Georgetown packed full. Maryland packed full.

UVA, not full or close to it. NC State not full or close to it. Wake close, but no cigar (like last night).

After JJ left this inconsistancy started to show up, though it used to be worse. I hate to think our students are fair weather fans, but at times it seems a good # of them are...
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

I'd love to say it isn't, but this year the fans have been....inconsistant.

Case in point: Davidson packed full. Georgetown packed full. Maryland packed full.

UVA, not full or close to it. NC State not full or close to it. Wake close, but no cigar (like last night).
    I thought the crowd last night was the loudest it has been all year, even louder than against carolina. The first half energy was amazing. I commented in the second half as the lead dwindled, the crowd seemed a bit worn out.

Remember that the NC State game was the snow/ice game - the upstairs was far fuller than I expected.

Where weren't the student section seats at the band end not full? Weren't there grad students waiting in the walk up line that could have been allowed in for those seats? The students that were there did great!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I thought the crowd last night was the loudest it has been all year, even louder than against carolina. The first half energy was amazing. I commented in the second half as the lead dwindled, the crowd seemed a bit worn out.

Remember that the NC State game was the snow/ice game - the upstairs was far fuller than I expected.

Where weren't the student section seats at the band end not full? Weren't there grad students waiting in the walk up line that could have been allowed in for those seats? The students that were there did great!
    I agree. I thought the crowd was great. I've been going to Duke games for 30 years and that was definitely one of the best games and crowds I've seen. Every knowledgeable fan there knew how important that game was to the team. I was disappointed that some fans chose to leave before the final buzzer to beat traffic. The team deserved for everyone to stay and give them a standing ovation at the buzzer.

I was taking pics before the game, the section on the far right never filled up. My seats are on the NCAA championship banners' side.

The entire grad walk-up line got in, and the grad students filled their allotted space--I'm not sure why the undergrad section in the corner next to the band was empty. Maybe people were studying for class on Monday...

And David Henderson served the beer

I got to attend the Wake game as a birthday present from the wife. First time back to Cameron since 92.

The crowd that was there (including the students) was great, especially in the first half.

You could certainly sense things tailing off in the 2nd half as the lead dwindled, and the crowd got worn out -- our inability to stop Wake at all certainly hurt the crowd's momentum.

But it was very, very disappointing to see hundreds of empty seats in the student sections at the Band end, on both sides of the court -- at least 300-400 empty student spots. A critical game (Coach K called it the most important in 3 years), Duke in desperation mode, a Top 10 opponent, 2nd to last home game of the year, and students couldn't be bothered enough to walk across campus 10 minutes before the game started to stroll in for free? Sorry to sound like a critic, but that is pathetic.