Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Singler and Smith: Nike Hoops Summit

The Nike Hoops Summit is on Fox Sports Net right now, featuring the USA High School Team Select, consisting of both Kyle and Nolan, versus the International stars.

It's about mid way through the first quarter right now, and is pretty fast paced, which is to be expected in this type of matchup. Should be an exciting finish.

Can someone update this somewhat every 10 minutes of the game or so? At least note any really good plays by the Duke guys or something... Fox Sports at Duke seems to have ditched the game for "Beyond the Glory: Designated Hitters" or some POS. Blah.

I do not have access to this game so any details and game analysis would be appreciated. Thanks!

Bob Green
    Yokosuka, Japan

USA leads is 28 to 13 with just over 8 minutes to play in the second quarter. Kyle has four points (He hit a long, long three ball and a free-throw.) Nolan is looking pretty good as well.

Kyle just scored a layup in traffic and now has 6 points. It is now 36 to 13 Team USA. They are absolutely man handling the International Team in the inside.

On a side note, Coach K is in attendance and they showed him smiling after Kyle hit the long three ball. They interviewed him about Kyle and Nolan and Coach just stated how excited he was to be having them on campus next fall, and that Kyle has a chance to be something truly special with they way he can play all positions on the court and make it look so easy. i can't wait to get these guys rolling in Cameron!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    Kyle just scored a layup in traffic and now has 6 points. It is now 36 to 13 Team USA. They are absolutely man handling the International Team in the inside.

On a side note, Coach K is in attendance and they showed him smiling after Kyle hit the long three ball. They interviewed him about Kyle and Nolan and Coach just stated how excited he was to be having them on campus next fall, and that Kyle has a chance to be something truly special with they way he can play all positions on the court and make it look so easy. i can't wait to get these guys rolling in Cameron!!
    Nice to hear K is smiling.

Boy, it's gonna be a long wait until the season starts. Having some major hoops withdrawl.

dukemsu

FireOgilvie - I'm not getting the game on FSN now either, but supposedly it will be on at 2 am Sunday morning here at Duke if you want to tape it.

Nolan just had a nice dunk. The score is now 52 to 33 Team USA with 8 minutes to play in the third quarter.

PPatt is also playing very well. He has had some nice post moves and great blocks. I mean "get out of the gym" kind of swats.

In the second half, PP was impressive, Smith and Singler didn't do much.

Singler!

Singler was very impressive in the first half. He was all over the floor, played get D, and just looked like the best all 'round guy on the floor. When Coach K was interviewed during the game he said something to that effect, that Kyle was the best player out there because of his play all over the court.

At one point Kyle hit a three and they showed K with a big smile, both were great to see!

Unfortunately he picked up two quick fouls in the 3rd quarter and had to sit out a lot the rest of the way.

My Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    Singler was very impressive in the first half. He was all over the floor, played get D, and just looked like the best all 'round guy on the floor. When Coach K was interviewed during the game he said something to that effect, that Kyle was the best player out there because of his play all over the court.

At one point Kyle hit a three and they showed K with a big smile, both were great to see!

Unfortunately he picked up two quick fouls in the 3rd quarter and had to sit out a lot the rest of the way.
    The US team was quicker and did a better job on the boards. OJ Mayo is a talent but he also goes for the flashy passes and tends to turn the ball over by doing that.

Patrick Patterson made a lot of good plays, including one rejection where he raced down and got way up in the air to get the block off a 7 footer. Very impressive elevation. He is tenacious and ran the floor very well, which resulted in multiple dunks (maybe 6). To me, he was the most impressive of the Duke bound or potential Duke bound players.

Singler looks good and handles the ball well and plays defense. He did commit reaching and bumping fouls that weren't necessary. He also tends to defer to the other players and was slow to put up a shot when open. Good talent who needs to become more aggressive, like Scheyer in that regard.

Nolan didn't stand out in the game. He did score some points but there was none of the plays that make you take notice. The kid Flynn at point guard really looked good. I hadn't heard of him until that game. He had 10 assists to tie Paulus record for the game.

Thoughts on Singler

Hi,
    I live in Memphis and was able to attend the Hoop Summit here today. First, Singler was the first American player out for warmups. As he finished his individual warmup he walked over towards where I was sitting. I said "Kyle!" and he looked up at me. Then I said "Can't wait to see you at Duke" and he smiled and reached out to shake hands with me. In part because of foul trouble he only played about 16 minutes of the total forty. I kept a shooting chart for Kyle and this is how he fared. In the first half he made a three point basket from the right wing as well as a made lay-up. He also missed a three-pointer from the left wing during the first half. During the second half, he made a lay up and missed a three pointer from the left wing. He gave a good pump fake on a World team defender which led to a defensive foul. His first foul was caused by diving for a loose ball so I can live with that. He moved well without the basketball and had good communication while out on the court. With about two minutes left in the game in a blowout for the Americans he had a nice offensive rebound and put back. On the negative side he was gasping for breath on the free throw line after having been in the game for about 50 seconds. Also he did not shoot before the shot clock expired but the Crazies will help in that area!
    Last edited by bluffcitydevil; 04-07-2007 at 08:17 PM. Reason: I did not spell "communication" correctly.

Late Replay

Smith and Singler looked good. It is hard to judge them for various reasons.

Singler is the type of kid who needs to know the system and his teammates to excell. It has been well documented that he is a good, not great, athlete. These types of all-star games are geared towards great athletes. Once KS gets to Duke and learns the system, and his teammates, he will be gangbusters.

Smith is hard to guage for another reason, that being he is a step below a few of the elite players in his class. This is no knock on him, but he simply is not as good as Rose and Mayo. Mayo is a gunner who will DESTROY chemistry in USC next year. Seriously, if you are a USC player right now, and there is a chance to get drafted, at all, in either round, go pro now. He is a cancer. Still, in an all star setting, the kid does have great skills. Polished shooter, handler, and passer. His athleticism is approximate with NS, but Mayo is a better shot, and is simply bigger.

As for Rose, no shame is being worse than him. He is a tremendous PG. Maybe the best one since Kidd (considering that Jason Williams was more of a lead guard than a true PG). Calipari said it, the kid could get 30, easy, but gets the others involved. If you are Conley, as good as you are, you will go behind this kid in the Draft. Rose is a better athlete, is ideal size, and has more offensive firepower.

Smith is a good to great athlete, with good skills, and a great motor, he simply is not as good as Rose, or Mayo. He is approximate with Flyn, an athlete whose freewheeling style meshes with the All star rythem.

As for Bayless, I think he is a very good player with great potential headed to the wrong program. I hate to say it, but Roy would be great with this kid by forcing him to play D and run the point (I say Roy, because K would allow him function like J Will, only Bayless is not that talented nor that unselfish, so it would be a moderate success). The kid needs a disciplined system and that aint Arizona. Lute will let him indulge his selfishness and prevent him from maxing out his potential. I forsee another Arenas, a supremely talented scorer who never really wins anything.

KS and NS will be great in Duke's system. I think these are system kids who will do well at Duke soon (especially KS), and in a few years when NS is one of the Nation's premier players.

Patrick Yates

liked PP's game, I just wish he were 1.5 inches taller and 10 lbs heavier. If that were the case he would be ideal at Duke.

Singler, Smith, Patterson

I caught snippets of the game while watching the meltdowns at Augusta. My take:

Singler - He is the perfect wing for Duke and, like Deng, may be one of the top players on the team as soon as he steps on the floor. He can dribble, pass and shoot, and he moves well for a big kid. Based on this and the McDonalds game, it appears that he likes to play on the perimeter. I was not overly impressed with either his defense or his inside play. A couple of his fouls were because his guy got by him and he reached.

Smith - I like Smith but he was probably the 5th best guard on the US team. Again, he can dribble, pass and shoot, gets after his guy on defense, and he runs the floor well. Like Singler, Smith will be a very positive addition to the Devils next year.

Patterson - He looked very good. While he appeared shorter than his listed 6-8, he was strong on defense against bigger players and he runs the floor very well. If he comes to Duke, he will likely start from day one.

Given my druthers, the player that I would like to see play for Duke was a 6-10 kid from Israel (can't reacall his name). He was a combination of Singler and Patterson. He is skilled, moves well for his size and is not bashful about mixing it up.

gw67

Box Score and Story

USAbasketball provides box score and sory in link below:

http://usabasketball.com/

gw67

Has Duke basketball ever had an Israeli kid?

Quote Originally Posted by gw67 View Post
    I caught snippets of the game while watching the meltdowns at Augusta. My take:

Singler - He is the perfect wing for Duke and, like Deng, may be one of the top players on the team as soon as he steps on the floor. He can dribble, pass and shoot, and he moves well for a big kid. Based on this and the McDonalds game, it appears that he likes to play on the perimeter. I was not overly impressed with either his defense or his inside play. A couple of his fouls were because his guy got by him and he reached.

Smith - I like Smith but he was probably the 5th best guard on the US team. Again, he can dribble, pass and shoot, gets after his guy on defense, and he runs the floor well. Like Singler, Smith will be a very positive addition to the Devils next year.

Patterson - He looked very good. While he appeared shorter than his listed 6-8, he was strong on defense against bigger players and he runs the floor very well. If he comes to Duke, he will likely start from day one.

Given my druthers, the player that I would like to see play for Duke was a 6-10 kid from Israel (can't reacall his name). He was a combination of Singler and Patterson. He is skilled, moves well for his size and is not bashful about mixing it up.

gw67

Hi,

I seem to recall that fairly recently Maryland was recruiting a semi-religious (maybe very religious) Jewish kid who was referred to as the "Jewish Jordan," I thought he was offered a scholarship. Then for some reason, maybe it was made public I don't remember, he didn't show up at Maryland. There is a point to my post.

If Duke went after a kid from Israel and there were games on Friday, would he play? I seem to remember the ACC office was going to make some sort of accomodations for the kid so that Maryland wouldn't play games on Friday. Furthermore, a kid from Israel isn't necessarily Jewish nor is he necessarily religious. Lastly, if the ACC office would do something for Maryland it stands to reason it would do the same for Duke. Maybe that was why the youngster didn't go to Maryland, maybe they didn't get the games changed so he had to play on Friday?

GO DUKE!

Let's Hold The Enthusiasm For Just A Little Bit

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post

I Think I heard similar sentiments from Coach K 2 years ago after watching McRoberts play in a high school tournament. That is not to say that Singler won't be a terrific player at Duke but it is a long way from high school in Oregon to playing in the ACC.

I for one think that Gerald Henderson is going to be a go to player this coming year and is going to be a star, but last year there were also thoughts that he was going to be a big star from day 1 at Duke.

Tamir Goodman

You must be thinking of Tamir Goodman:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamir_Goodman

I remember the circumstances under which he decided not to play for Maryland slightly differently. His religion and the effect on his ability to play was part of it, but the Washington Post articles also suggested that Maryland cooled on him when it became clear he wasn't really the Jewish Jordan.

Nycdf

I think Henderson will be that guy next year, as he absolutley carried us against Maryland and UNC late in the year. He had a couple of "you can't guard me, don't even try" shots that looked like Kobe. If he gets past his asthma, he scores 15 a game without trying.

I think Singler will be special because by all indications he has a great attitude, and he won't be needed to carry the burden from day one - I think the expectation to be the go to guy and the criticism that he wasn't living up to that billing really affected McRoberts.

Anyway, I'm very excited about next year. How can we wait 7 months for more Duke basketball?

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    You must be thinking of Tamir Goodman:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamir_Goodman

I remember the circumstances under which he decided not to play for Maryland slightly differently. His religion and the effect on his ability to play was part of it, but the Washington Post articles also suggested that Maryland cooled on him when it became clear he wasn't really the Jewish Jordan.
    Hi,

I didn't know all the circumstances. I have a hard enough time keeping track of the Duke players.

GO DUKE!