Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HDB View Post
    I'd say this is as close to a "must win" game as Duke could have prior to the one and done format it March. The outcome of this game just has so many implications: seeding for ACC tourney, inside track for Greensboro pod, and most importantly it has the potential to restore the swagger for Duke. Lose this and it really could be all downhill from now until the tourney. This is a must.
    I think this overdoes it a bit. The same could be said about any game the rest of the season except, perhaps, for UNC. Even at UNC, if Duke is coming off a loss that might fit the loose definition of a "must win" as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SMO View Post
    I think this overdoes it a bit. The same could be said about any game the rest of the season except, perhaps, for UNC. Even at UNC, if Duke is coming off a loss that might fit the loose definition of a "must win" as well.
    I really think we need a boost of confidence that would come with beating a high caliber opponent for the tough homestretch. Looking back on our schedule, we really don't have a marquee win right now -- this would give us that. Plus, it's a home game. I don't think calling this one a regular season must game is an understatement at all.

Clearly a win at the Dean Dome would give us everything I mention above, but I don't see that as a realistic possibility.

I really think we need a boost of confidence that would come with beating a high caliber opponent for the tough homestretch. Looking back on our schedule, we really don't have a marquee win right now -- this would give us that. Plus, it's a home game. I don't think calling this one a regular season must game is an understatement at all.

Clearly a win at the Dean Dome would give us everything I mention above, but I don't see that as a realistic possibility.
    From a fan's perspective maybe...but I'd never put that kind of pressure on myself as a player or coach. It's an important regular season home game, but if you lose does that mean the season is virtually over? No way! As for a win at the Ding Dong, I don't think that's unrealistic at all given what we saw at Maryland today.

One thing to keep in mind is that the better a team is, the harder it is to have a marquee win. At Purdue, neutural court vs. Xavier, at FSU - those are all good wins. If those don't count, Duke really has only 3-4 shots at a marquee win and all of them involve UNC and WFU. Would you agree?

Where to Watch the Wake Game in Miami?

I'm in Coconut Grove, FL for business and my hotel's cable will not be carrying the FSN coverage of tomorrow's game. Does anyone know a sports bar, etc in this area where I can catch tomorrow's game? (Hopefully not overpopulated with UM undergrads.)
    Thanks

Based on a strict definition for must win, that can only occur in March in the one and done format. I agree that even if we lose tomorrow that there's still a chance that Duke turns it around and has a successful end to the season. However, I believe that the odds of a successful conclusion to the season go up pretty dramatically with a win tomorrow which is why I consider this game so important.

I do think it's important for Duke to have at least one win against what I'd consider to be the top 3 teams in the ACC other than Duke (UNC, Wake, and Clemson). Marquee wins are tough to come by for a reason --- you only get them against top notch competition. I don't consider the wins over Purdue, X, or FSU to be marquee --- and I understand this is highly subjective.

Wait, really? Did you watch the UNC/UMCP game today? Notice that UNC's Frasor and Hanstravel went 0-3 from three point range against Maryland instead of 4-4 including a crazy fadeaway at the end of the shot clock like they did against Duke. A little bit better shooting from Duke and marginally better defense on Lawson means that we can certainly beat UNC. If UNC were undefeated and their starting five were all projected to go in the first round of the draft with three lottery picks and we had been beaten by 72 points in the first game I might understand this sentiment, but I don't understand how anyone can give up on the game at the Dump Dome now.

Win of lose tomorrow, Duke can still have a great March. Still, I'd love to see a win to give our guys and us fans a nice confidence boost.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    It can't be both ways. If a loss says something, then a win has to say something. Wake Forest is a Top 10 team and a victory over them will say plenty.
    Not sure I agree with the first part of your statement -- i.e. just ask Maryland and Morgan State -- but I completely agree that a win against Wake Forest will restore a lot of confidence.

Especially so now that Maryland is looking dangerous again on their home court and fighting for their NCAA tourney lives.

We can beat Carolina at the Dean Dome. We did it last year. Carolina is a talented team but they have flaws. Will it be easy to beat them? No. Will we have to play a near perfect game? Yes. Carolina is beatable as Maryland proved today. With five games left in the regular season, we have the ability to close on a six game winning streak and the possibility exist we lose two or three more games. We need to bring our A Game to the court and get the job done.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    Wait, really? Did you watch the UNC/UMCP game today? Notice that UNC's Frasor and Hanstravel went 0-3 from three point range against Maryland instead of 4-4 including a crazy fadeaway at the end of the shot clock like they did against Duke. A little bit better shooting from Duke and marginally better defense on Lawson means that we can certainly beat UNC. If UNC were undefeated and their starting five were all projected to go in the first round of the draft with three lottery picks and we had been beaten by 72 points in the first game I might understand this sentiment, but I don't understand how anyone can give up on the game at the Dump Dome now.

Win of lose tomorrow, Duke can still have a great March. Still, I'd love to see a win to give our guys and us fans a nice confidence boost.
    Agreed. Duke can beat Carolina. They aren't invincible, as today showed quite nicely. People complain about Duke's inside game, and UM beat UNC with the smallest line-up in the ACC. There is not one sure-fire lottery pick or future NBA All-Star on Carolina's team (Lawson is in the mix, but it is far from a guarantee). I know that is not necessarily a must-have for a quality college team, but it illustrates that they not quite the juggernaut some think.

Can we eat carolina, yes. Will we? Hard to say yes.

Carolina tends to get sloppy and complacent at times over the last two years. Particularly on the defensive end. Now while they certainly didn't stop us defensively in the first half in the game in Cameron, they stifled us a bit in the 2nd half.

I always get the feeling Carolina ramps it up for Duke, which is why i don't think we'll beat them in the Dean Dome. Do i think we have a shot, yes...there are times when they just seem to fall apart (during this time, hansbrough, lawson and ellington seem to disappear) but they've been very good at not doing that vs Duke the last 2 times, though both were at Cameron.

.......Ah, who am i kidding, sure we'll beat them. I gotta see at least one more carolina win , even if its not here at Duke during my last year here at school. :-P
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by stals View Post
    I'm in Coconut Grove, FL for business and my hotel's cable will not be carrying the FSN coverage of tomorrow's game. Does anyone know a sports bar, etc in this area where I can catch tomorrow's game? (Hopefully not overpopulated with UM undergrads.)
    Thanks
    Ask your hotel's concierge. If no concierge, ask the staff at the desk. Many times they can answer question about local amenities.

Our next opponent is Wake, not UNC, BTW. We don't have to worry about the holes for 3 weeks.

A former Duke football player has a place in the Grove called Mr. Moe's where they have a billion TVs. It's in the middle of Commodore Plaza, two small blocks southwest of Coco Walk down Main Hwy, turn left on Commodore.
    Class of Billy King and Chris Moreland

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Can we eat carolina, yes.
    Well, if we eat Carolina, we won't have to worry about them winning. The indigestion might be too much for us, though.

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post
    Our next opponent is Wake, not UNC, BTW. We don't have to worry about the holes for 3 weeks.
    Thank you.
    We definitely need to get over the obsession. One game at a time.

How Duke wins does not matter anymore

I believe we have entered the phase of the season that how Duke wins does not matter anymore.

Duke has 4 ACC loses as do 3 other teams. UNC has 3. We get to play UNC, Wake and FSU. In essence we are in control of our own destiny. Win these games by any means necessary and a share of first place is possible. Lose too many of these and fifth place and no bye in the first round of the ACC tournament is possible.

So all of these games are "big/must-win" games not because they will impress the NCAA selection committee, but because they could lead Duke to a championship.

What Channel for Duke-WF Game?

My Time-Warner info guide listing here in Durham shows the game on FSN at 7:30PM. It says that ESPN is showing NBA games tonight.

Clearly Patrick Davidson needs to start. He can stay in front of Teague with one foot tide behind his back. He can actually jump higher than Aminu and can get McFarland to foul out even before he steps on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    My Time-Warner info guide listing here in Durham shows the game on FSN at 7:30PM. It says that ESPN is showing NBA games tonight.
    that is correct the game is on fox sports carolinas

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post

Thank you for giving voice to what I've been thinking... We CAN'T win at the Dean Dome???? Where were you last year? The Carolina loss at home happened for two major reasons: we played poor defense against Lawson, and their shooting was lights out. I don't think that is a guaranteed performance at the Dean Dome... Other teams that are not as good as we are have won there... and I hope the coaches spend a lot of time looking at the tape of Maryland-UNC to see what worked against them!

Go Devils! Beat Wake AND UNC!!!!
    DukeDevilDeb