Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke-Wake Forest Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

What do you think will be the line-up for the Wake game? I really like this line-up:

Scheyer
    Williams
    Henderson
    Singler
    Plumlee

Mods, I don't know if this should me moved into the Wake pre-game thread if/when it's created?

Quote Originally Posted by quickgtp View Post
    What do you think will be the line-up for the Wake game? I really like this line-up:

Scheyer
    Williams
    Henderson
    Singler
    Plumlee

Mods, I don't know if this should me moved into the Wake pre-game thread if/when it's created?
    I suspect Thomas will start alongside Singler. He's played well lately, giving no reason to be removed from the lineup. That said, I do think we'll see a reasonable amount of Plumlee time in that game.

As for the backcourt spot, I think Williams played well enough to get a second look. That said, I could see Coach K going with Smith, given that Smith did a solid job in the first game against the Wake guards (with a big tip of the cap to McClure as well).

If I had to guess, I'd say we see the St John's starting five again (Scheyer, Williams, Henderson, Singler, Thomas). But, you never know with Coach K.

I bet Thomas will start, I just worry that Wake's size will really give us a hard time without either Zoub or Plumlee in there....

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I suspect Thomas will start alongside Singler. He's played well lately, giving no reason to be removed from the lineup. That said, I do think we'll see a reasonable amount of Plumlee time in that game.

As for the backcourt spot, I think Williams played well enough to get a second look. That said, I could see Coach K going with Smith, given that Smith did a solid job in the first game against the Wake guards (with a big tip of the cap to McClure as well).

If I had to guess, I'd say we see the St John's starting five again (Scheyer, Williams, Henderson, Singler, Thomas). But, you never know with Coach K.
    As usual, who we start will be less important than who finishes, and who plays the most.

If K feels comfortable with Scheyer at the point, I think we may see a healthy dose of bigger lineups - Scheyer, Henderson, McClure, Singler, and Thomas. I would not expect too many minutes where Singler or McClure is the biggest player on the court. (Although, that said, we were +8 last time with Singler as the 5).

I think Williams played well enough to earn another go in the starting lineup, but I doubt he'll be getting 30 minutes again.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

I bet Thomas will start, I just worry that Wake's size will really give us a hard time without either Zoub or Plumlee in there....
    That may be the case. Although I will say that, despite Wake's size, they aren't actually a very good team inside. They can be outrebounded (we outrebounded them) and are prone to fouls. There are pluses and minuses to going big and going small(er).

I think, when Thomas's head is on straight, he's a better fit against Wake than the other two (until Plumlee shows he can stay out of foul trouble.

Plumlee played well in the first Wake game so I expect to see him play.

I would be very surprised if LT didn't start.

I think there would have to be a compelling reason to change from the SJ starting lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    I would be very surprised if LT didn't start.
    I would, too. He's played really hard over the past five games when others were struggling. Last night was another good game for him. He's really developed an awareness on the offensive half of the court over the past few games. He knows he doesn't have to score too much to help the team, but he picks his spots and is making quick, controlled moves to the hoop. It seems like this is a sign of good things to come.

Starters

Scheyer
    Williams
    Henderson
    Singler
    Plumlee

With the way Lance has been playing, I would say he starts, but I think we will see Miles in the lineup as well. We need rebounding against Wake. Lance is not the best rebounder on the team but he's been playing very well. I would say that Nolan comes in for Williams and Greg for Jon(not many mins). I'm glad Coach K has to make these decisions and not me. I would really mess it up. Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by quickgtp
    What do you think will be the line-up for the Wake game?
    Starting line-up: Smith, Scheyer, Henderson, Singler, Thomas.

Thomas has to start. There's no question. My beef with Lance has always been is that he seems out of position. He's not a good enough shooter really to be a 3, but he's too small for the 4/5. He's essentially a 3.5, the speed and size of a small forward without quite the shot required to be a topnotch 3.

We need that here vs Wake...Zoo has shown himself to be unable to handle faster bigs. Now Zoo can probably handle Mcfarland, but McFarland fouls out early and often so he's not as big a threat as aminu and Johnson...and he can't guard them. I don't trust Miles yet to guard them and to keep up, so that leaves Lance, who DOES have the speed. He just needs the bulk/power to muscle them back.

It'll be a tough matchup. Still, I worry more about Teague these days...how will we handle the tough guard?

Projected 5:
    Nolan Smith
    Jon Scheyer
    Gerald Henderson
    Kyle Singler
    Lance Thomas.

I can't imagine Elliot being put as the starter for this game, though i wouldn't be surprised to see a healthy dose of him. Nolan's D will be necessary though. We gotta get back to our hardcore strength, Our D. I know Nolan has been weak of late, but he has to improve NOW or else. Can't avoid using him in these tough games.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Plumlee can't start until he learns not to foul so much. The only reason for him to start is he *may* be better at jumping tip-off than Gerald (can't recall who jumped when they both started). He needs to come off the bench so he can give other players a chance to rest. That way if he gets 2 quick fouls atleast he managed to buy us some time to get Lance back in there a little bit fresher.

I bet we will see the same starting lineup back out there. The only other possibilities are McClure instead of Williams (doubtful due to McClure's illness and Williams having his best game yet) or Smith over Williams (though I think he'll give Williams the 1st shot at guarding Teague).

Duke VS. Wake Forest Pregame and In-game Thread

This time, we're playing at cameron, and we're ready to fight to the end. What wil we think up this time??

Scheyer
    Williams
    Henderson
    Singler
    Plumlee

I agree with everything exept for PLumlee. I do think he should play if not the same but more time than Zoubek. Though Thimas has added alot lately to the team. So it should be-

Scheyer
    Williams
    Henderson
    Singler
    Thomas

If mcclure is feeling better I'd like to go semi-big with Scheyer, Hendo, Mcclure, Singler, Thomas.

Henderson is very athletic, but playing him at the 3 means he has to guard Aminu, and thats a tall order even for him. I like McClure against Aminu on defense. Of course the problem here becomes who guards Teague.

When we played Wake the first time I was making a similar argument but with Nolan starting at PG and Scheyer coming off the bench. That makes more sense if Nolan is playing well, but given that he's struggling a bit I doubt we'll see the combination I am hoping for.

The only thing that matters is that we win.

There is nothing wrong with this team that a win against a quality opponent like Wake won't cure. It's gut check time. I have an opinion about what is working for the team and what isn't and how best to beat Wake. However, I am clueless as to where we might go next if we lose. As I said, it's gut check time. I appreciate and respect everyone's enthusiasm for looking at all the angles and hoping for particular players to step up, get more playing time, etc . . . Please do not take this as a suggestion that discussion end or that it isn't interesting. That having been said, no one posting here wants to win more than the team itself and, imo, no one knows more about how to win than the coaches.
    GTHC

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    If mcclure is feeling better I'd like to go semi-big with Scheyer, Hendo, Mcclure, Singler, Thomas.
    Playing McClure as the small forward is tough on the offense. Dave is not an efficient ball handler. I say go with the same five who started against St. John's: Scheyer, Williams, Henderson, Singler, and Thomas. Williams has earned the opportunity to start again with his performance against the Red Storm.
    Bob Green

All about building confidence for Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Playing McClure as the small forward is tough on the offense. Dave is not an efficient ball handler. I say go with the same five who started against St. John's: Scheyer, Williams, Henderson, Singler, and Thomas. Williams has earned the opportunity to start again with his performance against the Red Storm.
    Could not agree more that Williams should start. His confidence needs to build, as his particular skills could be the missing piece that makes everybody else even better.
    GTHC

Quote Originally Posted by Sixthman View Post
    There is nothing wrong with this team that a win against a quality opponent like Wake won't cure.
    To play a little Blue Devil's advocate, Wake has not played very well on the road (more evidence of the youthful play that almost gave Duke the victory in the first place). So I'm not sure a home win against them says that much about Duke. A loss certainly would continue to raise questions, but I'm not sure that a win answers those questions.

In fact, I can envision Duke finishing the regular season 4 -1. I'm certainly not forgetting the lessons of Michigan, but I do think the talent of Duke, regardless of who's starting, should beat Maryland and Virginia Tech, even on the road. FSU will be a pretty good test, and obviously UNC allows the opportunity for an elite win.

But those teams, UNC aside, are of the caliber of team Duke would face in the first weekend of the tournament. VT and Maryland, in fact, likely won't be playing that first weekend.

I think the real test for Duke's ceiling is how they fare in the ACC Tourney, facing the likes of Clemson, WF (neutral court) and/or UNC. Win a couple of those, and I'd say the team has righted the ship.