Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Eric Bledsoe

I hate to say it, but i have a BAD feeling about us getting wall OR bledsoe

Quote Originally Posted by Dukebasketball32 View Post
    I hate to say it, but i have a BAD feeling about us getting wall OR bledsoe
    I know what you mean. After the Curry news, I think we were all feeling pretty good... remarkably good considering Duke had just been knocked out of the tournament. I know I was feeling very optimistic. But now, with UNC winning it all and the latest rumors about Wall and Bledsoe, along with G probably going pro, that optimism (at least in regard to next year) has been fading fast.

We'll be fine, of course, but some good news at this point would be welcoming! Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by K-Duke View Post
    I know what you mean. After the Curry news, I think we were all feeling pretty good... remarkably good considering Duke had just been knocked out of the tournament. I know I was feeling very optimistic. But now, with UNC winning it all and the latest rumors about Wall and Bledsoe, along with G probably going pro, that optimism (at least in regard to next year) has been fading fast.

We'll be fine, of course, but some good news at this point would be welcoming! Go Duke!
    We should've never put too much stock in Wall, we got into the recruiting very late in the game and we're pleasantly surprised to get an on-campus visit. Just because he had a good meeting with Coach K doesn't mean he walked out thinking he would come here.
    As to Bledsoe, the quote about duke being his dream school was made months ago. That being said, while we are actively pursuing him, we cannot make an offer until he improves his scores. So, it's natural that he didn't put Duke in his top four because he can't assume he will be eligible to get an offer from us. If he does get the qualifying score, it is very possible he will add us to the list.
    There's a great article posted in this thread about how he would be the first one in his family to go to college and how proud it would make his mom. Duke would have a leg up in recruiting if he is paying attention to academics because of the other schools in the running (FL, UK, AL) and because (since he will be a 3-4 year player) he would be able to graduate with a degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus09 View Post
    We should've never put too much stock in Wall, we got into the recruiting very late in the game and we're pleasantly surprised to get an on-campus visit. Just because he had a good meeting with Coach K doesn't mean he walked out thinking he would come here.
    As to Bledsoe, the quote about duke being his dream school was made months ago. That being said, while we are actively pursuing him, we cannot make an offer until he improves his scores. So, it's natural that he didn't put Duke in his top four because he can't assume he will be eligible to get an offer from us. If he does get the qualifying score, it is very possible he will add us to the list.
    There's a great article posted in this thread about how he would be the first one in his family to go to college and how proud it would make his mom. Duke would have a leg up in recruiting if he is paying attention to academics because of the other schools in the running (FL, UK, AL) and because (since he will be a 3-4 year player) he would be able to graduate with a degree.
    1) Bledsoe made the quote last month (March), not months ago.
    2) With regard to Wall, we got in on him later than NC State or Baylor, but there has been enough time. If UNC lands him, the time excuse won't be valid.

Quote Originally Posted by gotham devil View Post
    2) With regard to Wall, we got in on him later than NC State or Baylor, but there has been enough time. If UNC lands him, the time excuse won't be valid.
    Exactly. If we don't get Wall, it will have nothing to do with how early or late we got in on him. It will have everything to do with Wall's decision among schools. UNC's sudden emergence as a contender is evidence of that, as they didn't get into the game until the past week.

Quote Originally Posted by gotham devil View Post
    My point was that from an expectation perspective, we should never assume we're going to get Wall. And, in terms of Bledsoe, a week is more than enough time for a recruit to change his mind so his statements in March are not necessarily representative of what he's thinking now.
    Finally, we're currently in a little bit of a dead zone of recruiting news. We won't know for a little while what Wall is thinking about with regards to UNC or what Bledsoe is thinking with regards to Duke. DBR has a tendency of getting itself worked up from sheer speculation when we no very little. There's no reason to get overly pessimistic or optimistic.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Exactly. If we don't get Wall, it will have nothing to do with how early or late we got in on him. It will have everything to do with Wall's decision among schools. UNC's sudden emergence as a contender is evidence of that, as they didn't get into the game until the past week.
    Is this just people feaking about the sky falling or is UNC really the front runner for wall now? I am not sure that these fears are justified. My feelings as of right now its still mainly between us and UK. On the other side I would not be surprised with any choice he makes at this juncture.

Quote Originally Posted by G man View Post
    Is this just people feaking about the sky falling or is UNC really the front runner for wall now? I am not sure that these fears are justified. My feelings as of right now its still mainly between us and UK. On the other side I would not be surprised with any choice he makes at this juncture.
    I get the feeling from what I've read that Wall would fit better into UNC's system than ours. It's more of a run and gun offense and K seems to expect more disciplined (of course there's the chance that Wall wants to fit into a more disciplined system). There is also a quote by Wall saying that it is his decision, distancing himself from Clifton who detested Roy. I think we're closing in on the end of the one week dead period so recruiting news should be heating up. With so many players leaving UNC's team and with Wall reportedly initiating contact with UNC, we should factor UNC into our discussion with UK. Of course, all that talent leaving UNC could work against them.
    That being said, I really hope Bledsoe is still considering us because we could certainly use a pass-first PG with athletic ability who wants to stick around for more than a year.

Im pretty sure we are out of the running for Bledsoe. Rivals.com reported that Bledsoe has narrowed his decision to 4 schools and they have Alabama, Cincy, Florida, and UK listed as the schools he is still considering.
    Last edited by dubayuw; 04-07-2009 at 10:52 PM.

I get the feeling from what I've read that Wall would fit better into UNC's system than ours. It's more of a run and gun offense and K seems to expect more disciplined (of course there's the chance that Wall wants to fit into a more disciplined system). There is also a quote by Wall saying that it is his decision, distancing himself from Clifton who detested Roy. I think we're closing in on the end of the one week dead period so recruiting news should be heating up. With so many players leaving UNC's team and with Wall reportedly initiating contact with UNC, we should factor UNC into our discussion with UK. Of course, all that talent leaving UNC could work against them.
    That being said, I really hope Bledsoe is still considering us because we could certainly use a pass-first PG with athletic ability who wants to stick around for more than a year.
    K has often had a running offense, but when he's had the personnel for it.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by dubayuw View Post
    Im pretty sure we are out of the running for Bledsoe. Rivals.com reported that Bledsoe has narrowed his decision to 4 schools and they have Alabama, Cincy, Florida, and UK listed as the schools he is still considering.
    To avoid repeating myself or anyone else, I would encourage you to read previous posts. I don't think there's any harm in still considering him until Duke officially makes an offer to another PG (if there is another).

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    K has often had a running offense, but when he's had the personnel for it.

-jk
    I guess my point was that if we had to identify a school between the two of us that was more of a run and gun, as a recruit, I would view UNC as that school. I, of course, agree with you on your point.

To avoid repeating myself or anyone else, I would encourage you to read previous posts. I don't think there's any harm in still considering him until Duke officially makes an offer to another PG (if there is another).
    I was considering him untils I read yesterday's article that said he had gotten done to four choices and Duke wasn't one of them. It is ultimately his decision so we probably aren't gonna get him.

Here is a good link: http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slu...vals&type=lgns

I was considering him untils I read yesterday's article that said he had gotten done to four choices and Duke wasn't one of them. It is ultimately his decision so we probably aren't gonna get him.
    I'd be interested in seeing of any news arises where he explicitly mentions his lack of interest or interest in Duke. I think it'll happen considering how high he was/is on us.

did duke recruit Blake Griffin?

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    did duke recruit Blake Griffin?
    Apparently:
    "Due to his Oklahoma Christian School Saints winning their third straight state championship and dominance at AAU and national classics over the summer, Blake Griffin has become quite the hot item. Everyone from Duke and North Carolina to the super powers of the Big 12 Conference have been recruiting the 6-9 power forward."

http://www.edmondsun.com/sports/loca...yword=topstory

I'd be interested in seeing of any news arises where he explicitly mentions his lack of interest or interest in Duke. I think it'll happen considering how high he was/is on us.
    Dude, let it go, he is not coming. I think he really loves Duke but ultimately his grades are the problem. Look at the schools left(cincy, florida, bama, uk), they are nowhere near duke academically. Not only would it be hard to get him in, but to get him to keep his grades up would be impossible. I posted a link in the last post btw, it didnt mention Duke but laid out everything I have already said.

Dude, let it go, he is not coming. I think he really loves Duke but ultimately his grades are the problem. Look at the schools left(cincy, florida, bama, uk), they are nowhere near duke academically. Not only would it be hard to get him in, but to get him to keep his grades up would be impossible. I posted a link in the last post btw, it didnt mention Duke but laid out everything I have already said.
    I'm certainly not saying he will come, but as many people on dbr know, 17 and 18 year olds can change their minds. Just because he lists certain schools doesn't mean he will cease to drop or add schools from his list. I certainly am aware of the academic challenges that people have previously discussed, and I am also aware that Dockery raised legitimate academic concerns upon admittance but proved to do okay at Duke. All I'm doing, and what you're doing, is pure, baseless speculation. We have no idea what's going on in his head. And while I agree the chances of signing him are really low (and probably not great from the outset due to academic issues), it doesn't hurt to speculate. Of course, we can always end this thread if the moderators feel that this is a lost cause...

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    IIRC Wall liked UNC alot last year and their was some mutual interest. It was the Cliftons that drove a wedge between the two of them. IMO its between KY and UNC for the Wall sweepstakes. I think he goes to Memphis, I mean Calipari, dang it, I mean KY. If he does decide to stay home I think he ends up at UNC. And whereever he goes, they are a national title contender.

Quote Originally Posted by G man View Post
    And why do you think we are in the running? Wall has met with Coach K once and Williams once. Why would you think we are close? I am not saying we aren't in the running, and I am certainly no Chicken Little. Just giving my opinion based on the recent events. Despite not recruiting Wall at all for months/years, Williams has sought out Wall twice in the last week or so.