Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Eric Bledsoe

It's been over 10 years since any of the three players you've mentioned. Have we had any others in that time? Mind you, the Henderson situation is not Duke's fault if it wasn't even a concern during recruiting, but still we have for this long NOT had any players with that problem.

10+years is a good impressive streak without a problem, though i imagine its poor compared to other schools (maybe not as impressive schools, but you get the point). We should take care to continue this streak.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by DukeFanInTerpLand View Post
    Definitely liked his handle! We haven't had a pg who could handle the rock like a yoyo in a few years. It doesn't look like we would ever see him backing the ball up the court! Other than his handle, his game looks pretty well rounded but it's hard to judge to much from a you-tube video.

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    I'd guessed Dock would come up in response. I didn't follow recruiting till back then, though I'd heard about this. Let me put this out here: I loved dock, even before he made my Frosh year with the VT game. And Dock did GRADUATE from here, so I have much props for him.

So maybe I am sort of a hypocrite with regards to players in the past. I admit it up front. As i said before, we may have pushed a fine line with some previous recruits. But the last thing I EVER want to hear as a Duke fan is that one of our players gets ruled at any point as being academically ineligible. If the team can ensure that Bledsoe stays above the line? Fine. But I'd be extremely weary...not every player near the line cares as much as Dock did and will put forth that effort.
    I understand what you're saying and agree that academic integrity is very important but don't get caught thinking that high school grades are a great measure of intelligence or motivation. There are smart kids in bad schools that get lost in the shuffle. There are marginal students that skate by because they are the stud athlete. There are hard working and intelligent kids that struggle in high school because they are either working after school to help the family financially or baby sitting younger siblings so the parents can work a second job. There are smart kids that do great in high school only to fail miserably in college because of all of the distractions.

The point is, it's impossible for us fans to get a good grip on a recruits academic situation from a couple of blurbs on the internet. The coaches have been evaluating recruits for a long time and until they fail to properly evaluate the players they bring in, we have to trust that they will do the right thing.

It's been over 10 years since any of the three players you've mentioned. Have we had any others in that time? Mind you, the Henderson situation is not Duke's fault if it wasn't even a concern during recruiting, but still we have for this long NOT had any players with that problem.
    What Henderson situation?

How in the world

How in the world is recruiting a PG for the 2009 class a symptom of giving up on Nolan? Nolan is going to be a JUNIOR next year. He's only been a part time starter this year. Why wouldn't we recruit a PG to come in and have two years in a backup/co-chair role that could take over fulltime as a junior himself?

Does everyone have to start right away? The Chief had to wait for Laettner to leave to get the nod. Wojo had to wait for Capel to graduate. Avery waited for Wojo. Carrawell waited for McLeod. On and on. I just don't see why getting a player in as a backup is such a terrible thing for Nolan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius07 View Post
    What Henderson situation?
    PHIL henderson. Not G. See the post i was quoting.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

10+years is a good impressive streak without a problem, though i imagine its poor compared to other schools (maybe not as impressive schools, but you get the point). We should take care to continue this streak.
    IIRC, the most recent player to have academic ineligibility issues was Andre Sweet in 2001.

I don't understand how a player who came to Duke well above qualifying standards and then having academic issues at Duke is not Duke's fault, but if they had pre-existing academic issues then have problems at Duke that it is Duke's fault for recruiting them. IMO, Duke has an equal responsibility and fault for the academics of all of its players once they matriculate.

While I believe that academics should be a very important factor in recruitment, I agree with yancem and Mulletman above that excluding players solely based on high school academic metrics is a bit absurd. Some players with academic questions will never be able to cut it at Duke while others simply haven't had the social or financial opportunities to maximize their academic potential at this young age.

I have no idea which group Eric Bledsoe fits into, but I would trust the judgment of Coach K and his staff in this area based on the fact that they have done pretty well in this regard over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    Definitely liked his handle! We haven't had a pg who could handle the rock like a yoyo in a few years. It doesn't look like we would ever see him backing the ball up the court! Other than his handle, his game looks pretty well rounded but it's hard to judge to much from a you-tube video.
    Handle/ability to penetrate, court vision, on-the-ball defense, foul shooting, communication, and three-point shooting are the first things I look for in a PG.

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/recruiting/rsci2008.htm

These were his latest rankings from the various services, courtesy of RSCI.

I can tell you that a Duke assistant is taking in his game tonight. Ah!!! Recruiting is my thing!

Quote Originally Posted by DukeFanInTerpLand View Post
    That, my friends, is what a PG should look like.

Keep that in mind when talking about Scheyer as a PG... especially a "fringe NBA prospect" at PG. He's a darn fine SG, and I hate to see him forced out of position like that.

I'm glad we're taking a look at Bledsoe. It's about time we consider a true point guard. We'll see how things turn out. It's encouraging his "dream school" is Duke.

I loved what I saw on the court (especially his getting excited about making an assist)! I also love the fact that Duke is his dream school; this is a big deal. Sounds like graduating college is a goal of his. If he is a hard worker (on and off the court), committed to academics, a good kid, and the coaches like him, I see no reason why he does not deserve a chance.

I don't know what to say about this situation.

I can't remember the last time Duke effectively opened active recruitment of a player as late as this... especially a pg. Do I just have selective memory?

The coaching staff must really feel that we will be keeping some very important pieces for a championship run next year and consequently feel a serious need to bring in another piece that could potentially be missing for that run. Maybe I am making too much of a little thing, but this just seems too unusual a situation ... what are the coaches thinking I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post

I can't remember the last time Duke effectively opened active recruitment of a player as late as this... especially a pg. Do I just have selective memory?

The coaching staff must really feel that we will be keeping some very important pieces for a championship run next year and consequently feel a serious need to bring in another piece that could potentially be missing for that run. Maybe I am making too much of a little thing, but this just seems too unusual a situation ... what are the coaches thinking I wonder?
    Just speculating...the staff was not specifically looking, but were keeping their eyes open for late bloomers; this kid is coming on, plays at a position of need, and has spoken positively about Duke.

Could be a nice acquisition. Hope it works out.

What I wondered earlier is Duke's scholarship situation. Duke will lose two senoirs (Paulus, McClure), and gain two recruits. The scholarship limit is 13. It everyone returns, Duke has Pocious, Scheyer, Henderson, Zoubek, Thomas, Smith, Singler, Czyz, Williams, and Plumlee. If Duke does in fact ad a third 2009 recruit, that puts them right at the 13. The following year, Duke will lose Scheyer, Henderson, Zoubek, Thomas, opening up four scholarships. They have three commitments from 2010 already, with additional offers out, the most important of which is to Harrison Barnes. That leaves very little wiggle room for some additional guys Duke is looking at in those two classes, including Wall, Knight, and Irving. That being said, I'm sure things will even out. I doubt very seriously Duke gets four years out of Singler. Marty has been at Duke four years, and I do not know if he is on pace to graduate, but he could probably play in Europe if he chose. Plus, Duke is not going to land everyone of those guys anyway (that would be nice though!). I just wonder if the additional looks at the 2009 class are an indication about what will happen with G and/or Kyle.

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    Well... you know, Sean Dockery was a marginal student, and worked very hard to get into Duke. He used that chance to get an education at a world-class institution. The staff made the right call there. If they decide to offer this kid, or anyone, a scholarship, I will trust thier judgement and hope that the young man's intentions re:classwork and studying have been well vetted.
    Thanks for the memories, Mulletman. Sean was a credit to his university. Your post made me think of one of my favorites, Gene Banks, aka Tinker Bell. He was one of the classiest guys ever to attend classes and play basketball at Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by JDev View Post
    What I wondered earlier is Duke's scholarship situation. Duke will lose two senoirs (Paulus, McClure), and gain two recruits. The scholarship limit is 13. It everyone returns, Duke has Pocious, Scheyer, Henderson, Zoubek, Thomas, Smith, Singler, Czyz, Williams, and Plumlee. If Duke does in fact ad a third 2009 recruit, that puts them right at the 13. The following year, Duke will lose Scheyer, Henderson, Zoubek, Thomas, opening up four scholarships. They have three commitments from 2010 already, with additional offers out, the most important of which is to Harrison Barnes. That leaves very little wiggle room for some additional guys Duke is looking at in those two classes, including Wall, Knight, and Irving. That being said, I'm sure things will even out. I doubt very seriously Duke gets four years out of Singler. Marty has been at Duke four years, and I do not know if he is on pace to graduate, but he could probably play in Europe if he chose. Plus, Duke is not going to land everyone of those guys anyway (that would be nice though!). I just wonder if the additional looks at the 2009 class are an indication about what will happen with G and/or Kyle.
    From this team after next year ends, we'll lose (for certain) Paulus, McClure, Scheyer, Henderson, Zoubek, Thomas, and Pocius. We'll have the following players on scholarship:
    Smith
    Singler (hopefully)
    Plumlee
    Williams
    Czyz
    Plumlee
    Kelly
    Thornton
    Dawkins
    Hairston

That's only 10 players on scholarship. So we have plenty of wiggle room to get the right guy this year and still get two guys the following year.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post

Geoff McDermott in March of 2005.
    He's been an all-BE Freshman team and an honorable mention all-BE performer. He's scored over 1000 points, grabbed 995 rebounds, and over 450 assists at Providence.

McDermott also had an offer to play quarterback at Syracuse. He was the hs teammate of Ray Rice.

http://blog.al.com/sentell/2009/02/d...d_for_par.html

"We need a guard and we're in a sticky situation right now"
    Interesting quote. I'm not sure I would use those words while checking in on a recruit, but whatever works...

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    From this team after next year ends, we'll lose (for certain) Paulus, McClure, Scheyer, Henderson, Zoubek, Thomas, and Pocius. We'll have the following players on scholarship:
    Smith
    Singler (hopefully)
    Plumlee
    Williams
    Czyz
    Plumlee
    Kelly
    Thornton
    Dawkins
    Hairston

That's only 10 players on scholarship. So we have plenty of wiggle room to get the right guy this year and still get two guys the following year.
    Fingers crossed for Barnes, too.

I think it's funny that Bledsoe lists his priorities for college as: 1. Graduating (good way to start off), 2. Girls (still OK), and 3. Partying (uh-oh).

Seriously, he sounds like a nice kid...and if he has a sense of humor, all the better.