Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Michael Tauiliili

Did Michael Tauiliili not get drafted? This really surprises me. I thought for sure we'd be watching him on Sundays. Anyone know anything about his future in the NFL?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by coachbob View Post
    Did Michael Tauiliili not get drafted? This really surprises me. I thought for sure we'd be watching him on Sundays. Anyone know anything about his future in the NFL?
    Thanks!
    His not getting drafted was not unexpected. He was hoping to be a late-second day pick, but was likely to go undrafted.

Tauiliili is a bit undersized for the linebacker spot and not fast enough to be a safety. The draft sites had him rated somewhere in the 15-25 range among ILBs, and only about 10 ILBs got drafted.

That doesn't mean he won't eventually wind up on a roster next year. Lots of undrafted players eventually make rosters. But I don't know if he's going to be an impact player in the NFL.

I hope he and Eron Riley can find their way on to rosters. I think whoever picks up Tauiliili will be very lucky to have him (ehm, LIONS, pick up the phone and call him!)
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    I hope he and Eron Riley can find their way on to rosters. I think whoever picks up Tauiliili will be very lucky to have him (ehm, LIONS, pick up the phone and call him!)
    I believe Riley was signed by my Ravens.

the draft

I'm far less surprised that Tauiliili was passed over than that Eron Riley was passed over.

Look, there are guys who are very productive college players who don't have the "measurables" (the size, speed, strength ...) that the pros want. That describles the undersized Tauiliili (listed at 5-11, 229 ... probably 5-9, 220). Then there are guys who aren't that productive who have great measurables -- in a sense that describes Maryland's Heywood-Bey (he was fairly productive ... but using the No. 7 pick of the draft on a guy who never made All-ACC??)

But Eron Riley seemed to combine productivity and measurables. He's got good size (even if he's not quite the 6-3, 200 that he's been listed as). I read that he ran a 4.39 on pro timing day and had an off-the-charts 39-inch vertical leap. Obviously, the was productive, finishing among the top 25 players in ACC history in TD receptions and yards-per-catch. He finished ahead Heywood-Bey in the All-ACC vote in each of the last two years.

I was shocked that somebody didn't draft him ...

Oh well, the NFL makes a lot of draft mistakes (two-time Super Bowl MVPO Kurt Warner was never drafted). Riley and Tauiliili will get their chances as a free agent.

If it's any consolation, I've been told that it's actually better to be a free agent than to be drafted in the last round or two ... that way you can pick a team that can really use you when you try out.

I wish them both luck ...

I had the same thoughts re: Riley...

... you said it all better than I would have, though.

Best wishes to all the Duke guys.

Go Duke!
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I'm far less surprised that Tauiliili was passed over than that Eron Riley was passed over.

Look, there are guys who are very productive college players who don't have the "measurables" (the size, speed, strength ...) that the pros want. That describles the undersized Tauiliili (listed at 5-11, 229 ... probably 5-9, 220). Then there are guys who aren't that productive who have great measurables -- in a sense that describes Maryland's Heywood-Bey (he was fairly productive ... but using the No. 7 pick of the draft on a guy who never made All-ACC??)

But Eron Riley seemed to combine productivity and measurables. He's got good size (even if he's not quite the 6-3, 200 that he's been listed as). I read that he ran a 4.39 on pro timing day and had an off-the-charts 39-inch vertical leap. Obviously, the was productive, finishing among the top 25 players in ACC history in TD receptions and yards-per-catch. He finished ahead Heywood-Bey in the All-ACC vote in each of the last two years.

I was shocked that somebody didn't draft him ...

Oh well, the NFL makes a lot of draft mistakes (two-time Super Bowl MVPO Kurt Warner was never drafted). Riley and Tauiliili will get their chances as a free agent.

If it's any consolation, I've been told that it's actually better to be a free agent than to be drafted in the last round or two ... that way you can pick a team that can really use you when you try out.

I wish them both luck ...
    Completely agreed. I'm guessing the NFL was concerned about Riley's injury history and his lack of size (he's pretty skinny). But otherwise, he has the measurables and productivity that teams like.

Tauiliili is the type that isn't going to wow you at the combine (too small, not fast), but can find a place on a roster by playing the game well. Thus, he was unlikely to be drafted. But he may very well find a spot on a practice squad or as a special teams player because he has good football instincts.

As for the going undrafted, I agree that being undrafted can be better than being a 7th round pick. It's similar to that of going undrafted in the NBA rather than being a late second-round pick. But that said, it's not a great position to be in, because it means teams passed you over for 200+ other players. Hopefully these two guys can overcome the low expectations and impress somebody enough to make a team.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tauiliili stick somewhere. The NFL can't measure what is inside of a player and I think Tauiliili will surprise some folks. I know the NFL is a different animal and requires an ubelievable combination of size and speed, but Tauiliili didn't get much in the way of offers for NCAA football either. I think I remember Duke was one of the few Div. 1 schools to offer him.

Anyway, I do know I will miss hearing his name on Saturday's. I heard the name Tauiliili about 15 times a game. He will be missed.

Two free agents

Goduke.com has some information about free agents Eron Riley and Cameron Goldberg. http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...ATCLID=3728755

While it was disappointing and a bit of a surprise that Eron Riley wasn't drafted, it's a bigger surprise that Cameron Goldberg wasn't drafted either.

Best of luck to Eron, Cameron and Michael as they pursue opportunities in the NFL.

Mike T. signed with the Colts. Good spot for him IMO. I'll be rooting for him.

Quote Originally Posted by asbcheeks View Post
    Mike T. signed with the Colts. Good spot for him IMO. I'll be rooting for him.
    That is fantastic. I've always liked Peyton and the Colts, now I'll have a good reason to do so (as long as they keep Mike)! Congrats, and best of luck to our remaining players who have a shot at free agency!

Good news for Duke's former players.

Larger question, though: does anyone else think that the NBA Draft is going to become a variation of the NFL Draft, where the draft picks will be unknown quantities with upside and potential, while the sure things simply go undrafted but get quickly signed the next day?

An interesting way to separate prospective talent, but I still think sports owners are pretty stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Good news for Duke's former players.

Larger question, though: does anyone else think that the NBA Draft is going to become a variation of the NFL Draft, where the draft picks will be unknown quantities with upside and potential, while the sure things simply go undrafted but get quickly signed the next day?

An interesting way to separate prospective talent, but I still think sports owners are pretty stupid.
    That's not how I would describe the NFL draft at all. Teams don't pass on "sure things" in the draft. The "sure things" get taken in the first round. There just aren't very many sure things. For example, I wouldn't call Tauiliili a sure thing. I think it's very unknown what he can do, given his lack of NFL size or speed.

Also, sports owners don't make the draft picks, with the possible exception of Al Davis (and he is senile). GMs and coaches make the draft picks.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Completely agreed. I'm guessing the NFL was concerned about Riley's injury history and his lack of size (he's pretty skinny). But otherwise, he has the measurables and productivity that teams like.

Tauiliili is the type that isn't going to wow you at the combine (too small, not fast), but can find a place on a roster by playing the game well. Thus, he was unlikely to be drafted. But he may very well find a spot on a practice squad or as a special teams player because he has good football instincts.

As for the going undrafted, I agree that being undrafted can be better than being a 7th round pick. It's similar to that of going undrafted in the NBA rather than being a late second-round pick. But that said, it's not a great position to be in, because it means teams passed you over for 200+ other players. Hopefully these two guys can overcome the low expectations and impress somebody enough to make a team.

with all the teams looking at players, its (NFL) imperfect sure, but its a pretty accurate evaluation of talent vis a vis the cost-benefit of investing in a player and their probability of contributing in the NFL. Sure Warner went undrafted, Brady was a late round pick, and Dan Marino (best qb in his class, it turned out) was the 8th qb picked his year because of a low Wonderlic score. So what is the miss rate? 10% wrong in evaluating talent in terms of wrong round or not drafting when should have been?

Cost - benefit - Eron and Mike had durabilty issues. More of a concern for Mike, possibly, even though he had a great Senior Bowl. 5-10 ish is just small at ILB. Zach Thomas made it at 5-11 ish.
    The Colts signed Mike, maybe with some lobbying by Cutcliffe through Peyton? Cost - benefit - less investment than had they taken him in the 6 - 7th round - so if makes the team, less concern about durability given the investment.

Eron might be one of those guys who can surprise to the upside. Seems to have a good shot with the Ravens.

Anyone know if Roland and Robinson are getting tryouts (one step below being signed as a free agent), or are they being signed?
    Last edited by formerdukeathlete; 04-28-2009 at 10:38 AM.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Not that I doubt the MT to the Colts story, but I haven't found anything about it yet, anybody have a link?
    Also, Fred Roland was one of the higher rated players as far as being mentioned for draft possibility, so I'm hoping he gets signed with somebody as well.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

T-Rob apparently is getting to workout for the Vikings up in MN. Haven't heard anything about big Fred

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Not that I doubt the MT to the Colts story, but I haven't found anything about it yet, anybody have a link?
    Also, Fred Roland was one of the higher rated players as far as being mentioned for draft possibility, so I'm hoping he gets signed with somebody as well.
    I mentioned this sort of as a question; this may just be a story, reported, supposedly, on Mike T's facebook, but as of yet, does not appear to be confirmed. Maybe he is getting a tryout.

Here is a list of free agent signings, apparently updated this morning. Don't see Mike on the list.

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2009/...ings-list.html

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I still haven't seen anything about Tauiliili signing with Indy on Goduke.com or any other local or national site. Nothing either on the Colts' site. I'm taking this bit of news as just a rumor for now.

edit---FDA posted his as I was writing mine. Thanks for the link, and best of luck to Michael to sign with somebody.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I still haven't seen anything about Tauiliili signing with Indy on Goduke.com or any other local or national site. Nothing either on the Colts' site. I'm taking this bit of news as just a rumor for now.

edit---FDA posted his as I was writing mine. Thanks for the link, and best of luck to Michael to sign with somebody.
    It is hard to get information on UDFA's. I'm a huge Colts fan - the message boards have persons on it who are in the know and the general thought is he has signed with the Colts. Either way a position of need for the Colts was at LB and true to form, Bill Polian (GM) waited until the later rounds to consider one and instead forwent that position in an effort to secure some depth at other positions. LB for the Colts is a transitional position. I would say the prevailing thought for the Colts is that LB's are a dime a dozen. So, you see unknowns getting a shot with the Colts. Our MLB, Gary Brackett, was a walk-on in college at Rutgers and a UDFA and nobody has knocked the guy out of his starting spot for some 8 years now. In other words, I can't think of a better place to go for a LB that is trying to make a team than the Colts.

Big Colts fan here as well. They are well known for giving undrafted players a real shot at making the team (at least under Dungy they were). That is why agents encourage clients that get invited to the Colts camp to take the offer. They develop a year or two on special teams and then move into the starting lineup (see Clint Sessions). The Colts are really thin at linebacker, so if he is good he has a shot at making it. They are getting ready to resign Keiaho, but only have about 4 other viable options at linebacker, so Indy sounds like a good place to sign