Which Coach Would You Hire And Why

If you were the AD and could hire anyone of the following coaches to be your basketball coach , who would you hire and why :

Coach K
    Billy Donovan
    Roy Williams
    Rick Pitino
    Jim Calhoun
    Last edited by NYC Duke Fan; 02-18-2009 at 08:42 PM. Reason: forgot a name

Coach K! End of thread.

Quote Originally Posted by chadlee989 View Post
    Coach K! End of thread.
    Exactly!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Duke Fan View Post
    If you were the AD and could hire anyone of the following coaches to be your basketball coach , who would you hire and why :

Coach K
    Billy Donovan
    Roy Williams
    Rick Pitino
    Jim Calhoun
    On my team, K is coach and rest could be assistants.

Ol' Roy can stock the fridge with Coke and wipe the floor down after practice.

No Brainer

Coach K
    Billy Donovan
    Roy Williams
    Rick Pitino
    Jim Calhoun
    Coach K does it with integrity, compassion and with his players. Go Duke!

Coach K
    Billy Donovan
    Roy Williams
    Rick Pitino
    Jim Calhoun
    Sorry to bash your thread, but what is the point? I seriously doubt that anyone visiting this site is going to pick someone other than K.

Take away Coach K

Then Who ?

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Coach K does it with integrity, compassion and with his players. Go Duke!
    I totally agree with you, but why do you think that the others don't ?

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    Sorry to bash your thread, but what is the point? I seriously doubt that anyone visiting this site is going to pick someone other than K.
    Thought that I might get some discussion, but obviously I was wrong .

I actually think that all are very close to equal, both in recruiting and in Xs and Os, although up until 3 years ago I did not put much faith in Donovan's ability in Xs and Os, even though he is a master recruiter, ( might be the best recruiter of them all ).

Thought that I might get some discussion, but obviously I was wrong.
    There are better ways to approach the subject.

1. Your hypothetical places us in the role of an AD. But of which school? Public or private? Major conference? Location? Football school with a basketball inferiority complex? What are the recruiting standards?

2. Are we interested in long-term results? If so, why limit the choices to 3 Hall of Famers, one eventual Hall of Famer, and a young coach who's won back-to-back titles? Why not throw in Mark Few or Anthony Grant? Or a great assistant who's never been a head coach?

3. How hypothetical are we making this situation? Would we be taking Coach K away from Duke by hiring him? If that's the case, should he even be an option?

To generate discussion, you have to create a reason for people to struggle a bit and maybe NOT pick Coach K. In other words, give them something to actually discuss.

I totally agree with you, but why do you think that the others don't ?
    I didn't say they didn't. I don't know as much about them as I do Coach K. williams, Calhoun and Billy D are not my favorite coaches. Just don't care much for them or their teams. Just how I feel, my opinion. Go Duke!

let's throw it off a bit...let's say, that Gary Williams (just an example) decides that all of the wolfpackers who ran Herb off have cousins in MD and they do the same thing to Gary...gary retires.

which coach would you TRY to hire to step into that storied program? in fact, it would almost HAVE to be a coach OUTSIDE the ACC....

we know that billy, jim, roy, k, and john would proably NOT be available, or interested...

who then would want to move to the ACC stage to compete on this level?

I have an answer that i will post later..

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    let's throw it off a bit...let's say, that Gary Williams (just an example) decides that all of the wolfpackers who ran Herb off have cousins in MD and they do the same thing to Gary...gary retires.

which coach would you TRY to hire to step into that storied program? in fact, it would almost HAVE to be a coach OUTSIDE the ACC....

we know that billy, jim, roy, k, and john would proably NOT be available, or interested...

who then would want to move to the ACC stage to compete on this level?

I have an answer that i will post later..
    Now we're talkin'. I would look to Dixon, Wright, Grant, and of course Capel.

I'd hire Donovan. K is the best coach of all-time IMO but he is significantly older than Donovan. I'd hire Billy hoping he'd be the guy for the next 20-25 years.

if i were the MD AD in this case, i would send lefty with a blank check to get MARK FEW....you don't think he would want to come take a place in ACC history?

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    if i were the MD AD in this case, i would send lefty with a blank check to get MARK FEW....you don't think he would want to come take a place in ACC history?
    You're right. I would also like to revise my answer. I will replace Capel with Few. I don't want to route against Capel!

After the one and only K, I would hire Anthony Grant. Then maybe Pitino, but only because Rick has always respected K.
    Then me.