Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by johaad View Post
    I know Plumlee missed that buzzer beater but I am glad to see that he had the confidence to take it. I am encouraged by what I saw tonight, especially with Plumlee.
    I think that pretty much sums it up for me, too.

Plumlee looked much better in the 2nd half on defense... he's tough to shoot over.

Plumlee looks very instinctive on the court. Kelly seems like he wants to play spot up shooting guard. He doesn't seem very comfortable mixing it up with the big boys. Plumlee has more of a D-1 ACC body. It's hard to tell much with the unconrolled, no D, AAU basketball where no one really wants to pass it to a Plumlee, Kelly or a Wear.

Based on what limited view one can get in an all-star game like this, here are some impressions.

Mason is a player. He has a great nose for the ball, sees the action on the court very well, is very athletic. Solid all-around. Very good and crafty under the basket. It seemed to me at times he was looking for opportunities to show off his 3-pt shot, but no one would pass him the ball, and then at the end he had a chance to tie it with a three point shot. Good form, but just off. Mason will get solid minutes next year and start as a sophomore, if not by the end of next season.

Ryan is a little harder to place. He plays with the instinct of a wing. He does not exploit his height very well under the basket and often did not move himself to the best position to compete for defensive rebounds. We know he can shoot the three ball. He moves fairly well for a guy his size. He may be quick enough to guard the three position, it's difficult to say from this game. He has something of a handle. Good offensive instincts. If his defense shapes up, call me crazy, but I can see him getting minutes at the three position. He could either shoot over or post up a smaller man. He could be devastating at that position if he can prove he can reasonably defend smaller guys trying to drive on him. He has a thin frame so I don't ever see him becoming a muscular bruiser who bangs under the basket. But he will need to get stronger nevertheless.

Quote: "You must have been looking at a different ball game than the one I saw. I was quite disappointed with the two Duke recruits."

I never said that either one of these guys was our savior. I said I am encouraged by what I saw, and I am. I saw a smart big in Plumlee that, yes, needs some weight. But he shows that he has talent. I think he will EVENTUALLY be what we need. He seems to have a body type that can gain weight. I really don't expect either of these guys to be starters next season.
    Last edited by johaad; 04-01-2009 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Forgot to quote person from last line.

Does anyone else think Kelly is comparable to Dunleavy?

Quote Originally Posted by geraldsneighbor View Post
    Yes! Very reminiscent of Mike. And to my mind, that is a real compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by geraldsneighbor View Post
    It's a little early to tell, but I can definitely see what you're saying. Height with a shot would definitely sound like Dunleavy.

I think Kelly was enamored by Favors play. I don't know if he reminds me of a McRob or a Horvath only with shooting ability.

Quote Originally Posted by GMR View Post
    You must have been looking at a different ball game than the one I saw. I was quite disappointed with the two Duke recruits.

They need about 25-30 pounds of muscle, they both have a long ways to go on defense, they are perimeter stand-arounds asking for the ball, they are not the big, physical 5 players that Duke needs. I don't see either of them giving much help next year. We need a big, strong guy that takes plays within 15 feet of the basket, goes strong to the hoop, rebounds as a priority, plays strong, smart defense, and has a few basic moves in the paint.

GMR
    do you remember how daniel ewing looked in the McD game - and he turned out Ok.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Kelly is definitely not a low post player or someone that will rebound - he just didn't seem to want to mix it up down low. He appeared to be able to handle the ball, so he might be more of a SF. Singler showed a lot more during his all star game.

Plumlee is definitely stronger and seemed more intense than Kelly. Think he will probably see a lot of time in the middle.

Although these games don't mean much as far as point totals, I've watched most all the McD games and its usually easy to spot the true stars and the guys that are out of place. As example, watching Brand and Domzalski in these games gave a strong indication of how each would turn out as post type players. Although I don't expect either Plumlee or Kelly to do much inside, they may be stars on the perimeter. Unfortunately, they didn't get to showcase those skills in this game.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    Although I don't expect either Plumlee or Kelly to do much inside, they may be stars on the perimeter. Unfortunately, they didn't get to showcase those skills in this game.
    I think Plumlee will play primarily inside, not on the perimeter. He has hops and looks fairly strong for a senior in high school. He may float outside occasionally for a long jump shot. As he gets stronger and his play becomes more learned and disciplined he will be solid inside.

Quote Originally Posted by GMR View Post
    You must have been looking at a different ball game than the one I saw. I was quite disappointed with the two Duke recruits.

They need about 25-30 pounds of muscle, they both have a long ways to go on defense, they are perimeter stand-arounds asking for the ball, they are not the big, physical 5 players that Duke needs. I don't see either of them giving much help next year. We need a big, strong guy that takes plays within 15 feet of the basket, goes strong to the hoop, rebounds as a priority, plays strong, smart defense, and has a few basic moves in the paint.

GMR
    If you knew anything about either one of the recruits, then you wouldn't have been "disappointed" in their game. They're 6'10" - 6'11" guys that weigh between 215 and 225. Just seeing this, you knew they weren't Shaquille O'Neal. There were only 3 guys out there that meet your weight requirement (Sidney, Cousins, and Gallon). I agree that they need to gain some weight/muscle (especially R.K.), luckily they have 6 months before they play their first collegiate game.

Also, were you "disappointed" while watching John Henson, the UNC recruit? He looked fantastic, but he's 17 lbs. lighter than Ryan Kelly.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
    I think Plumlee will play primarily inside, not on the perimeter. He has hops and looks fairly strong for a senior in high school. He may float outside occasionally for a long jump shot. As he gets stronger and his play becomes more learned and disciplined he will be solid inside.
    I agree Plumlee will have to play inside - but that's due to the makeup of our team. I just don't think he'll have that great of a presence; but maybe he can hold down the fort. I do like his attitude though.

I liked Plumlee2's effort. He looks like he could develop into a legit Duke player. Also the Louiaville guard and Derrick Favors impressed me.

And "Tiny" Gallon was impressive. He seems like another one of those guys like DaJuan Blair who are surprisingly athletic for the weight they are carrying around.

McDonalds All American Thoughts?

Couldn't see the game over here in Korea. Did anyone see it? Who were the biggest stand-outs. I was looking at the box score and saw that Plumlee and Kelly had quiet outings, but the stats rarely tell the whole story. Looks like the commit to Oklahoma (Gallon) had a big game. Good for Jeff Capel.

thanks

Plumlee looks fluid. Kelly looks for his mid-range jumper. That is about all I feel comfortable concluding after a game like that

these games me jack! all though Mason looks like he can jump out of the gym! Kelly can shoot I like them

Hard to tell much from these sorts of games. I did think that Mason looked very comfortable down low, and was a bit more muscular/defined than I expected.

I didn't get to see all of the game, but did get to see enough for a couple of quick obsevations...

This year's MDAA's had a ton of talent. Didn't even catch all their names, but some really good players out there.

Gallon was the most impressive big man I saw. Soft hands and strong. Sean May clone. He may be the reason Capel stays at OK in the end. He could play for me. If he commits to the weight room, he will make a lot of $ some day.

Snare (SP?) the kid going to FSU is a player. I liked his game.

I kept missing Kelly on the floor so no real comment on him, but Plumlee reminded me somewhat of Singler, and looked good. He hustled and wanted to mix it up. Duke kind of guy for sure.

My first look at the Wear twins and was pleasently surprised. Had expected Kris Lang type talent, but they are more athletic than he was. I have no idea which one was which though. I had expected them to be more of the "project" sort since they have not been as highy hyped as the other UNC recruits, but they both had some quickness, size, anticipation and some court vision. Never did see them take a shot.

First little bit I've seen him, but Henson is darn skinny, way too skinny, to be "all that", just yet.
    He looked like he could have some special talent, but it was hard to tell. It looked like they had a rule you could only pass once before you had to shoot it in the game.
    I had hoped/expected to see some Durant in his game but saw more of a Magic type player. He's got to work on his foul shot, it was pretty ugly. When he gains 25 pounds, gets confidant and aggressive...lookout.