Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JDev View Post
    Duke could have swept the dunk and 3pt. contests very easily. Kelly has a great stroke and, as J-Will said, will be great setting the high pick and stepping out for a jump shot. Mason is clearly athletic and is actually bigger than I thought. I know it is a skills exhibition, but both guys generated some excitement, at least for me.
    Me too. They both showed that they have the potential to be something special. After today, (Seth Curry, Kelly wins 3pt contest, Plumlee's sick dunks), I am feeling very optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by geraldsneighbor View Post
    Ryan Kelly shoots the 3. Well. That was impressive.
    Just a reminder that Larry Drew 2000 won the 3pt contest last year and I can honestly say I never once saw him hit a 3 this year. I'm sure he hit some but not while I was watching. Anyway I'm just trying to say it doesn't mean he was the best shooter there nor does it mean he'll be the best on the team next year.

Post number 666, that can't stay over night! Ryan looked really smooth though and I thought he just took the wide open 3's. The way he shot them it looks like he might turn into a better pick and pop player than Singler.

Looks like we've got a couple good ones for next year. Between tonight and Curry this week is turning out to be pretty good.

I just watched the competition... Mason was totally robbed. I think we need a congressional investigation into Steve Smith.

Also, I have now decided that Mason needs to start at the 5. Jason Williams said Coach K said he was the "next Laettner." I was surprised to hear such high praise, but I hope he's right... and Mason definitely has the physical tools to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    I just watched the competition... Mason was totally robbed. I think we need a congressional investigation into Steve Smith.

Also, I have now decided that Mason needs to start at the 5. Jason Williams said Coach K said he was the "next Laettner." I was surprised to hear such high praise, but I hope he's right... and Mason definitely has the physical tools to do it.

Where did you see/hear that? I can't believe they would say that (not doubting you, just suprised I mean). Not only is it high praise, it is a lot to live up to.

Also, these guys look better than I thought they would. Plumlee looks like a bigger, stronger version of Chase Buddinger (spelling?). I think he could start immediately. We don't need big guys that can post, we just need guys that can seal on the weak side to make teams pay when we drive and dish/kick. Just need guys that can catch and finish efficiently, something we have been lacking for 2+ years.
    Last edited by chrisheery; 03-30-2009 at 11:36 PM. Reason: more to say

Quote Originally Posted by chrisheery View Post
    Where did you see/hear that? I can't believe they would say that (not doubting you, just suprised I mean). Not only is it high praise, it is a lot to live up to.

Also, these guys look better than I thought they would. Plumlee looks like a bigger, stronger version of Chase Buddinger (spelling?). I think he could start immediately. We don't need big guys that can post, we just need guys that can seal on the weak side to make teams pay when we drive and dish/kick. Just need guys that can catch and finish efficiently, something we have been lacking for 2+ years.
    I'd like a big that has a post move or two. Variety is the spice of offense... or life, whatever.

I really think we don't need a dominant post like many, but I do think we need one who can be counted on for 3 or 4 buckets a game one-on-one in the post. Having that option makes a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisheery View Post

Jason Williams said it while commentating on the dunk contest... he said it right before Mason's first dunk. He said something like, "I had a chance to talk with Coach K today, and he said that Mason is the next Laettner, with his size, athleticism, and ability to shoot the ball." It was close to that. When he said it, I was shocked. But, then I watched Mason compete in the dunk contest... and I thought, "Maybe Coach K knows what he's talking about..."

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post

Yeah, I saw part of the original showing, and just watched part of it again at 11:00. Jason Williams sounded genuinely excited about Mason P. and did say K told him he had to see this kid, could be the next Laettner, really skilled and athletic.

The two dunks Mason did in the first round were just sick; not the between-the-legs-double-pump stuff, but looked they could have occurred in a game situation and were just so powerful. One of the dunks was play #3 of the day from SportsCenter.

And Ryan Kelly hitting 4 in a row from the 3-pt line at the top of the key...very nice, and also could have been from a game...sets the screen, get the pass back, and boom.

Yeah, the usual disclaimers...this is not a game, just an exhibition, doesn't necessarily carry over to real competition, blah, blah, blah.

These two guys are exciting!

interesting note

just back from the bar with my buddies and its interesting to note that one of my friends guessed that kelly was an incoming Duke player before they threw his information on screen....later on he joked that Plumlee looked like a Duke kid too and obviously he was right about both...

Both were very impressive in the contests and it seems they both need to add a little muscle in order to battle with Favors and the other ACC big men there.

Definitely not the worst post-tournament week with these kids playing well and Curry packing his bags for Durham

Thumbs up Plumlees not from NC

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Well, he does play in western North Carolina!
    Actually, while all three Plumlee brothers play(ed) at a private "academy" in A-ville, in the great state of West Carolina, they hail from, and their family still lives in, Indiana. Hence, the Western McD team assignment has some logic.

Am very excited about these two kids, especially if one (Miles?) can man the post next year. ...though 6-9 guys who shoot the three aren't all bad either...

-bdbd

12. I'm pretty freaking stoked.

If Wall comes to Duke and G stays, our team is going to be STACKED. Even if G leaves (which I think he will...if I were him, I would) we have...

- Athletic Mason in the post who will dunk putbacks or put in short jumpers at a very high percentage. He can also defend the post against all but the biggest 5s.

- Sharpshooting Kelly playing the pick-and-pop, pick-and-roll, or waiting in the wings for kickouts. He'd be devastating in plays involving the pick...not only because he can shoot it, but also because he can use his height to receive passes on the roll. Plus, Mason can be there to either receive another pass from Kelly, or Mason can pull his defender away to clear the lane which the defender will have to respect because Mason can also shoot it.

You can do a lot with these two twin towers.

Then you add in Singler, Scheyer, Elliot, Nolan...oh my goodness, our offense will be off the charts.

The only thing we're really missing is a PG who can penetrate at will. I know Scheyer, Elliot and Nolan can penetrate and create plays...but I don't think they can do it at will the way J-Will, Duhon and Avery could.

That's where Wall comes in.

Wow, our team would be off the hook if he commits.

Disclaimer: Yes, I know our two (or three? ) recruits will be rooks, but I'm thinking about what's possible, not necessarily what I expect. I'm sure there will be growing pains as they scale the learning curve.

Yes indeed

I like the above thinking. We will have a great team next year as we always do. If Wall commits to us this could be a very interesting turn in events. He is saying that Memphis is his top choice right now, but if Cal goes to Kentucky he could definatly change his mind to his number two which is Duke. That would be a pretty good March/April for us even though we aren't in the NCAA Tournament anymore. Seems like we have had a good stretch of good things happening since that loss. Maybe the Basketball Gods will bless us some more.

Mason looks really good/ if he is half the player that Leattner was i will be happy with that.

Airforcedukie

Reason to be optimistic

Plumlee looked like he might be the 6'11" as claimed and he has some muscle. With his agility, he has the tools to be a very good one at Duke. As a rookie, he may not shine all that much, but there is reason to be optimistic. We also can't forget his brother, who will have a year of experience. Maybe we will have a brother combo like Oklahoma this year?

Kelly winning the 3 point contest adds another reason. He looks like about 6'9" and 215 to 220 pounds. Kind of a slightly taller version of Singler last year. With the shooting and the handle I hear he possesses, he could be a really solid addition.

Other than Wall, I don't think any point guard we could get would help us this coming season, except for depth. With Curry coming next year along with probably two solid guards, we will really have what we need.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    The options for 2010's lineup are going to be amazing. I think Thornton has a chance to be a really good ball handler, distributor, and on the ball defender at the point. Duke hasn't had a really true point in a few years. But who would Thornton supplant in the backcourt for more time? Smith (SR), Curry (SO), Williams (JR), or Dawkins (FR)? Duke could finally be good and deep enough to go with a blue and white team, especially if playing with decent leads.

WBB

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post

BTW, we got no women? Kind of surprising, no? Or is it a bit different on the womens side? I don't follow them as much.
    We haven't had any women on the team for the last two years, which corresponds to G's last recruiting class and McCallie's first. The last two Mickey D's would be Thomas and Thomas, rising juniors. Nevertheless, Duke is still in the picture for G Tayler Hill from Minnesota.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncw/recru...ruitId%3d62437

BTW, speaking of WBB, isn't it a shame that Maryland was knocked out by Louisville? Oh, sure...

High praise

for Mason and Ryan in the McDonalds game. I am always hopeful that our incoming freshmen will jump into the starting rotation and be superstars. However this year I'm just going to wait until tipoff before calling Kelly and Mason superstars. If I remember last year some who saw Olek play in hs said that he was going to break into the starting lineup. Well we see how that has played out. So next year (season) I'm hope that I'm pleasantly surprised in the play of our incoming freshmen. Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    for Mason and Ryan in the McDonalds game. I am always hopeful that our incoming freshmen will jump into the starting rotation and be superstars. However this year I'm just going to wait until tipoff before calling Kelly and Mason superstars. If I remember last year some who saw Olek play in hs said that he was going to break into the starting lineup. Well we see how that has played out. So next year (season) I'm hope that I'm pleasantly surprised in the play of our incoming freshmen. Go Duke!
    That's certainly reasonable.

Just for info, though, Olek was ranked around 90 to 105 among last year's recruits. Mason and Ryan are currently ranked 11 and 12 by ESPN, and generally in the 10 to 40 range by almost all the services. They both have considerably more basketball experience than OC.

The off-season, particularly following an NCAA tournament loss, can be rough, as we watch our rivals proceed on, and wait to see if the NBA will claim current players.

I don't see much wrong with getting to see highlights and all-star game play from our new guys, and getting excited about the possibilities.

Mason and Ryan both seem to be talented and are also personable and well-spoken. Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    That's certainly reasonable.

Just for info, though, Olek was ranked around 90 to 105 among last year's recruits. Mason and Ryan are currently ranked 11 and 12 by ESPN, and generally in the 10 to 40 range by almost all the services. They both have considerably more basketball experience than OC.

The off-season, particularly following an NCAA tournament loss, can be rough, as we watch our rivals proceed on, and wait to see if the NBA will claim current players.

I don't see much wrong with getting to see highlights and all-star game play from our new guys, and getting excited about the possibilities.

Mason and Ryan both seem to be talented and are also personable and well-spoken. Welcome!
    Roywhite you make excellent points and I'm pretty sure both these young men are good high school players and will represent Duke University well. But I know me, and sometimes I get too pumped up on incoming players. I'm going to stay even keel from now on. Just like in the recruitment of John Wall. I'm not going to get my hopes up. Then I can be pleasantly surprised. Go Duke!

I'm not expecting superstar status from either of these guys from the moment they step foot on campus but the potential is there and I do bet they'll get there at one point or another. At the least I expect both of them to challenge for playing time and push our other guys in the frontcourt to be better next year.

I already can't wait for Blue-White.